Apple on medical tech hiring spree, a possible hint of iWatch plans | Reuters

Just saw this on reuters. If anyone remembers blackberry just heavily invested in nanthealth.
    BlackBerry buys minority stake in healthcare IT firm
    Wonder who will deliver first and ultimately capitalize from these medical ventures. I for one hope that blackberry can for once, effectively and precisely move faster than its competitors. Again I can just hope.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    05-05-14 10:56 AM
    apple already has been in the med field for quite a while. its not a matter of catching up its just advancing from where they are
    kbz1960, TGR1, JesseBabe23 and 3 others like this.
    05-05-14 11:06 AM
    Ipads by itself is a shrinking market and Iphone growth isn't as great as before. There are alot of Ipads and IOS apps used in healthcare already and Apple trying to capitalize on that for a future revenue stream. Perhaps they'll eventually release an medical specific iWatch that can send BP/pulse, O2 readings and cumulative data to their doctors Ipad.
    05-05-14 12:35 PM
    Apple is going after the consumer side of health and fitness related apps which they have already been able to do with 3rd party devices like Fitbit and Fuelband. They dominate the professional medical market with the App Store. At Apple Stores they have special events for medical professionals that highlight medical apps.

Blackberry devices are probably being used by that company for some kind of specialized hospital implementation on a site by site basis. I don't think it will be anywhere near the scale of what Apple is doing. Apple just doesn't announce what they are doing ahead of time.
    05-05-14 01:40 PM
    apple already has been in the med field for quite a while. its not a matter of catching up its just advancing from where they are
    Didn't meant on apps but on a device solely focused on the needs of medical professionals.
    Inb4 ipad/iphone can do that already. Sure they can but you need an infinity of gimmicks that sometimes cannot be connected simultaneously... that's what I meant.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    05-06-14 03:07 PM
    Apple really needs to get into this healthcare market... so they can "catch up"

5 Medical Peripherals for the iPad or iPhone

App Recommendations - iPads - eStudent - Stanford University School of Medicine

Apple’s top 80 apps for doctors, nurses, patients | mobihealthnews

I do think that secure transmission of data from patient peripherals to mobile devices is a MAJOR concern. But you still need a PLATFORM that developers and equipment manufacture are willing to work with.
    05-06-14 03:43 PM