I see absolutely nothing wrong with his report of using the device. Just wasn't for him that's all.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 and TGR1 like this.
    12-30-14 02:56 PM
    I read the story and who cares, this is not new news, this has been the trend for the last few years. I can understand why some of the BlackBerry faithful might get their feathers ruffled, but let the person get what they feel fits their needs.

I have converted a dozen folks over to BlackBerry and OS10 from IOS in the last three months and they all love it and thank me for improving their work flow. So we loose one person to IOS, the way I look at it is based on my recruitment efforts, we are still ahead of the game.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-30-14 02:58 PM
    $,$ ,u. ,
    Sc=,

Posted via CB10
    I agree. 110%
    12-30-14 03:01 PM
    So what I glean from all this Instagram business... is someone who is posting a review on a national website can make what is still essentially a false statement and plead ignorance... as I have an IPad I am confused how author does not understand the concept of third party apps... I guess in the authors world if he could not find a app called twitter... then there is no twitter for IOS... please.... (Tweetbot comes to mind ).....as much as I accept people do not do their homework... to state something that is simply not true... is not right... if there was no third part app for Instgram I could see the arguement.... but as there is ... well..... if you can use Igrann to use Instagram... guess what ... you have Instagram for the BB,,,,
    Yup, it's called the old double. It's amazing that people actually defend it. And don't forget a good helping of "if apple can't do it and some other platforms can, don't mention it at all". Even if it is the main selling feature of the other platforms and displayed prominently in all their literature. It's a policy practiced by many including a few at crackberry.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 03:17 PM
    Some don't understand what official means....

While today and for a long time we have had access to Google Play via SNAP and some other "hacks".... all it would take is a little coding on Google or a developers part and poof that ability might be gone for good. (or at least until another complicated "hack" was created)

And if you are a business and you want to for some reason use Instagram for your employees but you need to load it via BES.... how easy is that to do? Would you risk buying a device that technically isn't officially supported?

Only Amazon give us access to some Android Apps... but go ask a developer for help and see how much support you get when you tell them you have a BlackBerry that is using an emulator.

Just because we have learn to get around things, doesn't mean that everyone would want to jump through these hoops also.
    Cash speaks and I doubt developers care that much, just as long as they pay.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 03:19 PM
    You can get Instagram from Snap.

Awesome pic! Did you load it to the instagram you found on BBW or the Amazon Apppstore?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    12-30-14 04:10 PM
    You can get Instagram from Snap.
    But do all reviews of BB devices need to explain Snap? I think not. Snap violates the Google Play terms of service and is not allowed in BlackBerry World. It is a hack used by enthusiasts. No different than rooting and jailbreaking on Android and iOS; a powerful tool for enthusiasts, but not a feature to be discussed in every single article explaining the features and limitations of a device or OS.
    12-30-14 04:29 PM
    yeah sure. we're trying to be serious here. go sit in the corner and let the adults speak.

I get excited when I see BlackBerry in the headlines, because i'm just not seeing or hearing from them the way I would expect. however, more often than not i'm only hearing lies originating from the machine that tries to keep the superior product a secret.

Posted via CB750
    Are you kidding? Do you REALLY think it is some Apple conspiracy keeping BlackBerry a secret.

BlackBerry have no one to blame but themselves for being in almost total obscurity today. Chen has admitted he doesn't care about consumers and hand sets. He is stubbornly (and in my opinion mistakenly) committed solely to enterprise software... and has said as much.

It is a slow and purposeful (yet pathetic) march to extinction in the hardware market. There is no conspiracy... it is their own dang fault of a choice to ignore prosumer advertising.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy and devin266 like this.
    12-30-14 04:31 PM
    Maybe I am missing the point in all this.... not defending third party apps... point I have unsuccessfully been trying to make is this.... as we are all familiar with BB here ( which is why I do not bring up snap or Google Play installation )... the average user unfamiliar with BB read this article and walk away with the idea you cannot use Instagram on BB10... which simply is not the case.... be it official Instagram or not..... Igrann is a native BB Instagram app....... probably why the platform is dying in the consumer market..... and maybe forever....
    12-30-14 04:51 PM
    Maybe I am missing the point in all this.... not defending third party apps... point I have unsuccessfully been trying to make is this.... as we are all familiar with BB here ( which is why I do not bring up snap or Google Play installation )... the average user unfamiliar with BB read this article and walk away with the idea you cannot use Instagram on BB10... which simply is not the case.... be it official Instagram or not..... Igrann is a native BB Instagram app....... probably why the platform is dying in the consumer market..... and maybe forever....
    nailed it.

Posted via CB750
    12-30-14 05:02 PM
    Once again, if there are things BB10 can do that consumers are unaware of, the reason they remain unaware is because BlackBerry stubbornly refuses to tell them about it.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, jmr1015 and TGR1 like this.
    12-30-14 05:04 PM
    To everyone that complains about Blackberry ignoring consumer market. How do you propose they go after it (with exactly no real cash and declining consumer revenue)? Why go after consumer market when for largest players (Android), consumer market doesn't really make any money and profitability and positive cash flow is declining?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 05:07 PM

The problem is that promoting these 3rd party methods is that it could lead to their downfall like secret and snap chat, 6cret and 6snap respectively have had that very issue.

I don't mind 3rd party apps for services (hey I use them all the time) but that requires the user to trust the app maker and the service and when the service owner starts making changes and intentionally starts locking out 3rd party apps it becomes messy business. Just look on the storm of 6snap and snap chat on message boards and twitter.
    12-30-14 05:18 PM
    To everyone that complains about Blackberry ignoring consumer market. How do you propose they go after it (with exactly no real cash and declining consumer revenue)? Why go after consumer market when for largest players (Android), consumer market doesn't really make any money and profitability and positive cash flow is declining?

Posted via CB10
    Look, I'm not suggesting they run Superbowl ads... that was just a stupid waste of money, especially when it wasn't backed up by anything else.

BlackBerry does have some cash. And guess what? They might have to actually assume a bit of debt to dig out of the mess they laid for themselves. It is ludicrous to think there will be anything but failure if no one knows about your product.

I've traveled the world with a BB10 device on business for almost 2 years now. In that time I've run into literally hundreds of ex-BlackBerry colleagues who've now migrated away, mostly to iPhone. And guess what, I can count on one hand the number that knew about BB10 devices. Believe me, except for us geeks here on CB... NO ONE KNOWS!

I hear over and over and over again that if they'd only known they would have at least tried BB10 before switching. That is a sad thing to hear. And it is completely the fault of BlackBerry for lack of marketing.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 05:28 PM
    Look, I'm not suggesting they run Superbowl ads... that was just a stupid waste of money, especially when it wasn't backed up by anything else.

BlackBerry does have some cash. And guess what? They might have to actually assume a bit of debt to dig out of the mess they laid for themselves. It is ludicrous to think there will be anything but failure if no one knows about your product.

I've traveled the world with a BB10 device on business for almost 2 years now. In that time I've run into literally hundreds of ex-BlackBerry colleagues who've now migrated away, mostly to iPhone. And guess what, I can count on one hand the number that knew about BB10 devices. Believe me, except for us geeks here on CB... NO ONE KNOWS!

I hear over and over and over again that if they'd only known they would have at least tried BB10 before switching. That is a sad thing to hear. And it is completely the fault of BlackBerry for lack of marketing.

Posted via CB10
    You're suggesting a strategy that would have been applicable two years ago. The consumer ship has already sailed. Chen has an obligation to us as shareholders to protect whatever equity we have left and possibly grow our equity through pursuing enterprise market or if unsuccessful, exit handset market completely.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 and ADGrant like this.
    12-30-14 06:41 PM
    Honestly, when someone is used to simply going to a designated app store, searching for the app, and downloading, they aren't going to think "Hmm, I wonder if there's another way I can get this app on this device..." They'll just assume it can't be done. Here is a device with TWO designated app stores, and he didn't find Instagram, so it's understandable he would think that it's not available period. Again, WE know what IGrann is, but the first-time user won't. In the app store, all three Instagram apps don't look like anything special. They all say "client for Instagram" while he was looking for the official app BY INSTAGRAM.

He was reporting on his out-of-the-box experience with the Classic, something the vast majority of smartphone users do. When people are used to just plugging their sim card into the phone, setting up all their accounts and notifications, downloading their apps, and going on their merry way, they're not going to assume that there are workarounds for things they can't do or find and scout out the message boards.

I found the article to be on the positive side. He just spoke of why it wouldn't work as a daily driver FOR HIM, and most of that had to do with the fact that he's used to touch screens.
    When you search for Instagram in BBW, iGrann pops up as the first hit. 'Client for Instagram'. My guess is he either didn't even look or he already had his mind made up before he checked. If he was actually serious about using Instagram on the Classic, he would have installed the FREE app and checked it out and, from what I hear (I don't use instagram) would have been pleasantly surprised. And for all the talk about 'nobody wants third party apps when you're used to iOS,' every time somebody on here mentions that iOS has no native file manager the response is always 'you can download really good (third party) file managers from app store'
    12-30-14 07:08 PM
    It's an opinion piece, and there is nothing unrealistic about sending and receiving 500 emails a day. He depends on apps to make his life more convenient, some of which aren't on BlackBerry. It's understandable that he sticks with his iPhone.

The only thing I don't like with these reviews is when the author suggests that those who prefer PKBs do not know how to use a touch phone. That simply is not always the case. It's a preference not a disability.
    thymaster and clickitykeys like this.
    12-30-14 07:27 PM
    Propaganda. LOL.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    12-30-14 07:48 PM
    This guy is making a bunch of opinions and his own experiences which is ok by me. I don't like his exaggeration and bit of white lies. He should have supported his opinion with facts and I would buy into the article. Other then that I couldn't care what people like him thinks.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-30-14 08:08 PM
    It's an opinion piece from a former BlackBerry turned iPhone user, nothing more. He's stated that at this point in time, it's not the right phone for him, which is fine. He has even addressed the "unofficial apps and backdoor installation methods" that most of us here know about and use, so he has at least done some research.

Judging by his thoughts, the author is probably representative of most consumers out there (other than the 500 email thing), so this piece if anything serves to highlight areas where BlackBerry is weak and why it lost its consumer appeal. That topic of course has been discussed ad nauseum on CB, so no need to go any further in this thread.
    pantlesspenguin and TGR1 like this.
    12-30-14 08:35 PM
70 123