• 2 Post By moiselles
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    PIN
    26842AFA
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Apple IOS OTA...

Seen posts on other forums and over twitter about IOS 5 OTA (Over the Air) Download. Blackberry has had OTA download's for a long time. Seen a lot of people saying its an apple Inovation as such. Peoples thoughts considering OTA downloads have been available on BB for a long time.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zgods1 View Post
    Seen posts on other forums and over twitter about IOS 5 OTA (Over the Air) Download. Blackberry has had OTA download's for a long time. Seen a lot of people saying its an apple Inovation as such. Peoples thoughts considering OTA downloads have been available on BB for a long time.
    You are funny, but correct. After owning a few blackberrys, I found it was hardly reliable. Maybe I has gotten better, buti have read many threads about people having to connect their phones to the computer to sync data. I'm loving this iCloud thing. Syncs to all my devices automatically.
    CrackBerry Master

Playbook OTA OS updates are entirely painless. the install happens in the background, and notifies me once the update is complete. After a 90 second reboot, i am back to what I was doing. less than 2 minutes did I have to spend dealing with the update, and 90 seconds of that was a reboot. This will be very beneficial once BBX hits handelds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    JRoman2k10 and Jake Storm like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    You are funny, but correct. After owning a few blackberrys, I found it was hardly reliable. Maybe I has gotten better, buti have read many threads about people having to connect their phones to the computer to sync data. I'm loving this iCloud thing. Syncs to all my devices automatically.
    Different things... the iCloud thing is centralising (amongst other things) your iTunes library. Nothing to do with updating the operating system on your device. OP is correct.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barljo View Post
    Different things... the iCloud thing is centralising (amongst other things) your iTunes library. Nothing to do with updating the operating system on your device. OP is correct.
    I stated the op was correct, but have noticed that when I tried to upgrade my blackberry wirelessly, that it would I would experience issues. I merely mentioned my admiration for iCloud due to updating iOS 5 this evening and it was a pleasant experience. Worked perfectly.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    PIN
    26842AFA
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Im not having a pun at Apple or Android or anything, I just think the Apple team kinda have taken a blackberry characteristic as such and used it to there advantage cause it was trending on twitter and all about the OTA download. Where as if someone said OTA download 2 years ago people would have associated it with a Blackberry App download not Apple IOS update.

Just food for thought.
    CrackBerry User

It will be a apple intvention when they go and patent it so they can stop all other people using it.

I shouldn't be so cynical its not like they have tried to do it with anything else such as the screen unlock

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    PIN
    26842AFA
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I think my sarcasm meter is detecting a hint of sarcasm but I am still unsure.

I just think it's a tad humurious how people are hailing it as an "Apple Inovation" to many people hail apple as king of technology. #thingsthatfrustrateme
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Sorry, I limit to friends.

I have to say I loved how easy the iOS update was. Quick and painless. And the best part was that all my settings stayed the same. However, part of what I loved about BB OS updates was the challenge and being able to customize the OS and shrink. I do miss that.
    ~Laura~
    CrackBerry Genius

OTA upgrades have been on every BB since OS4(possibly before, but my experience goes back that far). With that being said, the OTA part is dependent on your carrier not RIM. RIM makes the OS's, it is up to your carrier to push the upgrade out OTA.

Did a couple fellow coworkers device upgrades via OTA and it worked pretty fast(faster then DM), and everything was back to normal afterwards. Definitely not an ios innovation but everyone will hail it as such.
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't have one anymore.

I have not seen anyone on TiPb act like Apple invented OTA.
    Pearl 8100 | iPhone3GS | Torch 9800 | iPhone4S

"Women who strive to be equal to men lack ambition." - Anonymous

@_heatherly
    GingerSnapsBack and TGR1 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts

There are many people that think Apple has created many things that they use. It's only because they don't really pay attention to the innovation as it happens and then when Apple comes out with it it's usually the first time they've seen it. It's annoying sometimes. A lot of the people I've run into have a bit of a complex thinking they are better then other people since they use Apple products, a lot of it comes from them think Apple invented everything I think.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,714 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

Quote Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
    OTA upgrades have been on every BB since OS4(possibly before, but my experience goes back that far). With that being said, the OTA part is dependent on your carrier not RIM. RIM makes the OS's, it is up to your carrier to push the upgrade out OTA.
    If I recall correctly, it was somewhere around 4.5/4.6 that OTA updates became available.

Kinda like how the smart cover sleeper magnet on the iPad 2 was such a great "invention"?

All kidding aside...

I don't see too many people acting like OTA updates are an Apple invention, though obviously there's a lot of hype in that community right now because it's a new feature for iOS, and part of the "post PC" experience Apple is pushing right now along with iCloud service.

I almost never use OTA OS updates on my Berries, mostly cause my carrier is so damn slow in releasing official versions and cause it downloads the entire OS as opposed to just doing a small delta update. BBX/QNX solves both those problems, so it'll be a thing of the past pretty soon.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina, Nexus 7
    Banned

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

no one is stopping rim from "copying" what its competitors are doing. just saying. don't be sour. rim is stubborn through and through
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by moiselles View Post
    I have not seen anyone on TiPb act like Apple invented OTA.
    Agreed. Certainly on the fora I frequent users are just happy that not just OTA but delta updates are finally available and work well.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts

To the OP's point. The Playbook had OTA updates before the iPad.

A friend of mine purchased an iPad and he had to go through **** to connect to iTunes because he needed to upgrade his OS, then he needed more RAM to upgrade his OS and then he could connect to iTunes.

For Apple to offer this OTA is a step forward. I'm glad to see it for my Apple buddies.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guerllamo7 View Post
    then he needed more RAM to upgrade his OS and then he could connect to iTunes.
    That surely makes sense...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    14,469 Global Posts

Lucky you squezed in BB OTA in this post or a mod would have deleted it by now or moved it based on the title...lol
    ~Jag~
    Member Of CrackBerry Nation!
    The Coolest Pantless Posting Forum Thread On The Planet!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rmjones101 View Post
    If I recall correctly, it was somewhere around 4.5/4.6 that OTA updates became available.
    Could have been, been a long time since I was on my curve with OS4. I just remember doing an OS upgrade one day and seeing it before OS5.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    928 Global Posts

Apple has never made it seem like OTA was something they have invented. Please get over yourself, OP.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,638 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Red face

One thing I did love about updating my iOS was the fact it took < 10 minutes from start to finish. The last time I updated my BBOS was with my old Curve 8530 (Storm hasn't had an update in a year) and it took over an hour from connecting my BB to the DMS to installing to rebooting. Even reinstalling a BBOS to a nuked BB took over an hour, if not closer to 90 minutes.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I don't do OTA's, I would rather connect it to my computer and do it that way.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

Updates on my old Curve were a long and painful experience full of errors and restarts. The update to iOS 5.0.1 took a painless 5 minutes.

It's not that Apple invented OTA updates, but it is certainly more reliable than updates on other platforms.

It's the same way that BB 7 Liquid Graphics were regarded to as a luxury when the same touchscreen effects could be found on the very first iPhone running OS 1.0.