This partnership will take time to see if it will be profitable for both parties. And these two companies are really good at over pricing things (at least historically). In the short run it will be IBM sales people flogging Apple gear to customers under some creative banners. Long term???

Whether it works out to be a positive or negative is yet to be seen.
    07-16-14 08:01 AM
    BES supports BB10, iOS and Android but it's more like a replication of EAS features. You still don't get access to apps for analytics, CRM, ERP etc. on your mobile device if they aren't written for BB10.

The Apple-IBM deal is important because it allows a lot of IBM's enterprise front-end apps to run directly on iPads and iPhones, bypassing the need for PCs and letting more of the workforce have access to information. This goes beyond MDM, it's opening up the enterprise space to mobile devices beyond email or communications. Tablets and smartphones are perfect for this because all the data and processing are on a corporate mainframe or cluster.
    Last edited by blueberrymerry; 07-16-14 at 08:20 AM.
    JeepBB, TgeekB, Bsbudd and 1 others like this.
    07-16-14 08:07 AM
    I don't know how this can be spun as a good thing for BlackBerry. At best, it's neither good nor bad. At worst, it's devastating.

Chen has said all along his main focus is the enterprise, both hardware and software. It's really the only short term path BlackBerry can follow that has a chance of returning them to profitability.

Apple and others see this as an opportunity to go BlackBerry's proverbial jugular.

This deal with IBM is just the kind of thing BlackBerry desperately needs, but just cannot seem to get.

Apple has already made inroads into enterprise, but partnering with such a revered enterprise brand as IBM will only help them expand their reach in this area and BlackBerry has the most to lose from this.

I hate to sound so negative. I actually want BB to turn things around. But they are fighting an uphill battle, and the incline and height of the mountain just keep increasing.

Sent from my iPod Touch (3rd gen) using Tapatalk
    sati01 and ljfong like this.
    07-16-14 08:11 AM
    This could be bad for Apple. If IBM fails so does apple. Could strengthen BlackBerry position. I do think BlackBerry need to partner with a software company.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 08:12 AM
    Expect IBM Clients were asking for Apple front ends to some existing biz. So they did what big biz does, a partnership which means there will be meetings and such

100 apps, prob 100 variants if apps, is not a lot.

What would the BlackBerry bashers say if one company added that many apps to BBW, mostly tweaks and variants of existing Apps.

Of course the press release is worth a lot to the but small beans for Apple and IBM

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    07-16-14 08:12 AM
    The news could impact Blackberry, once the industry leader in enterprise mobile, which is aiming to right itself after years of declining profits and fleeing clients.
    Folks, this is GREAT NEWS! Someone in the media mentioned Blackberry as a company fighting to remain a competitor in the mobile market as opposed to a company that was dead in the water, sold off into many pieces, or completely bankrupt and no longer in existence!

BOOM!
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-16-14 08:14 AM
    just read what 9to5mac is writing about Blackberry .....
    Opinion: Seven reasons why the IBM partnership could be a pretty big deal for Apple | 9to5Mac

Second, while BlackBerry may be effectively dead in the consumer market, it still has a significant grip on enterprise. Inertia and familiarity means many large companies have stuck with the dying smartphone platform, but that is unlikely to be the case forever. Pushing iPhones with business apps and proper enterprise-level systems support could, over the course of the next few years, have a huge impact.
    07-16-14 08:27 AM
    Yep, plus Apple must be aware that the current situation as good as it is, is not sustainable. The bandwagon ia not where leaders want to be and aa good aa iPhones are there is some disenchantment.

They only dominate in the USA.

They are viewed as very good but not really business phones.

So Apple needs to broaden itself.

Can afford trial balloons all over the place. Everyone wants enterprise but the money there is in services not hardware. IBM can't lose on this, Apple succeeds by increased visibility on entreprise.

Effect on BlackBerry , stay the course. Look to keep expanding all areas of business.

The pie is growing.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    07-16-14 08:42 AM
    JUST FOR LAUGHS.......maybe the news of the audacious Passport and "soon to launch" BES12 spooked Apple.
    07-16-14 08:48 AM
    This could be bad for Apple. If IBM fails so does apple. Could strengthen BlackBerry position.
    Fail? If it doesn't work out then both companies still chug along doing what they already do - make tons of money outside of this partnership. It's more likely that they would just keep pumping money into it.
    bbq10l likes this.
    07-16-14 08:49 AM
    Apple's 'goto fail' tells us nothing good about Cupertino's software delivery process | ZDNet

no matter what security they have on their whitepaper if they cant implement it properly. on paper RSA is secure too, its the implementation thats being attacked
    07-16-14 09:06 AM
    This is business. How will chen react? Will BlackBerry form a strategic alliance with Oracle or SAP. It is largely about perception. Your move Chenmister?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 09:13 AM
    IF Chen really wants to make a deal that could blow this Apple IBM deal to its grave and be dominant in enterprise as Blackberry is more than Apple IBM combined, is simple.

Think for a second...John Chen came from Sybase. And I am pretty sure that after turning Sybase around, he would remain a well respected figure in that company if he is still not serving on the board.

Which company acquired Sybase? SAP...name a bigger ERP???

I think you get where I am going with this...that's correct!!

BlackBerry and SAP could topple the Apple IBM deal. And to be quite honest, I won't be surprise if Chen hasn't thought about that already - meaning already in talks. Who knows? That may be the very reason why Apple ran off to do a deal with IBM.

However, we all know that Apple cannot stand on its feet with all these security flaws. Moreover, IBM would not be able to help them either.

NO ONE DOES SECURITY LIKE BLACKBERRY!!!! Point blank!!!
    MGDania likes this.
    07-16-14 09:25 AM
    Pienso que el Sr. Chen tiene un amplio panorama de lo que se significa el acuerdo entre Apple y la no tan organizada IBM.
    07-16-14 09:36 AM
    That was Steve Jobs' fantasy and he was careful to use a finger first
    Apple and IBM partnership-jobsswearingapple.jpg
    Pic from @elreg
    menshawy, Bilaal and ekv like this.
    07-16-14 09:37 AM
    Of course Berry has to take this seriously. Apple is the big boy on the block in mobile, and IBM has successfully transitioned over the past 10+ years to diversify into such consulting partnerships.

However, the contrarian view: Berry is now clearly back on Apple's radar. Updates to iOS have hinted at this (such as predictive type), but this is a clear statement. All this means is that Chen & Co are on the right path. Of course, there was bound to be increased competition with increased success.
    07-16-14 09:48 AM
    I was just thinking that it would be nothing for IBM and/or Apple to buy BlackBerry for the enterprise sector and QNX alone, they have huge cash reserves and it would save then allot of development cost in the long haul.

With financial backing that those two corporate giants have, the future would be very promising. Just an interesting thought I had, that's all.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    If Apple does have a part or some ownership of BlackBerry, then I will be leaving BlackBerry.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    07-16-14 09:50 AM
    as some folks said on here, this will not happen over night.
    there are plenty of contenders out there, even now. no matter how much money you will throw into a product, BB's enterprise customers would need a good reason to leave! BES already supports iOS and Android, why this is such a big story, just proves how BIG BlackBerry is in the enterprise business!
    here are some interesting reads for you guys.
    Great reads in PDF format --made pdfs for those w/out SA accounts (you need acct to read entire article)

here are links for everyone w/ an account.
    Apple And IBM Team Up, And The Winner Is... BlackBerry? - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

BlackBerry's Smartphone Sales Are Set To Soar - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

BlackBerry Is Now An Obvious Buyout Target, And 4 Other Reasons Not To Worry About The Apple/IBM Deal - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

be sure to read them all!!! all great, great reads for all those that are interested!
    From BlackBerry Fact Check: "BlackBerry..... we encourage readers of Seeking Alpha to verify information with another source to avoid being misled or misinformed."

BlackBerry enterprise customers have plenty of reasons to leave already (delays, incompatibility, questionable future, lack of productivity tools for their industry, lack of tablet form factor)... and have been doing so.

The consumer market is pretty much gone for BlackBerry, that leaves them the enterprise "niche". Apple has stated that the own the business market already in hardware, with IBM that could encroach further into the "niche".
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-16-14 09:56 AM
    http://www.businessinsider.com/black...ith-ibm-2014-7

Here's an update

Posted via CB10 C000DAC91
    07-16-14 09:58 AM
    IF Chen really wants to make a deal that could blow this Apple IBM deal to its grave and be dominant in enterprise as Blackberry is more than Apple IBM combined, is simple.

Think for a second...John Chen came from Sybase. And I am pretty sure that after turning Sybase around, he would remain a well respected figure in that company if he is still not serving on the board.

Which company acquired Sybase? SAP...name a bigger ERP???

I think you get where I am going with this...that's correct!!

BlackBerry and SAP could topple the Apple IBM deal. And to be quite honest, I won't be surprise if Chen hasn't thought about that already - meaning already in talks. Who knows? That may be the very reason why Apple ran off to do a deal with IBM.

However, we all know that Apple cannot stand on its feet with all these security flaws. Moreover, IBM would not be able to help them either.

NO ONE DOES SECURITY LIKE BLACKBERRY!!!! Point blank!!!
    You obviously didn't read or watch the interview. They've been in talks for the past 2 years. Chen wasn't even on the horizon. Apple might not be up to speed with security but don't forget both companies (Fortune 500) can pull some serious strings and have massive cash on hand to get things right. Anybody who thinks this might just be a fly-by-night operation is just purely talking fanboyism and doesn't look at the big picture. I won't comment on Apple's products but we all know they are they are geniuses in marketing. Apple didn't know mobile before the iPhone and everybody dismissed them at the time. I hope Blackberry doesn't make the same mistake this time around. Apple and IBM are not Blackphone where you throw a little bit mud here and there. They have the resource to throw a truckload back at you.
    07-16-14 09:59 AM
    Apple must get getting pretty desperate to do this move.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 10:00 AM
    This is business. How will chen react? Will BlackBerry form a strategic alliance with Oracle or SAP. It is largely about perception. Your move Chenmister?

Posted via CB10
    How would that work? What would be the benefit for Oracle or SAP of developing exclusive apps for BB10, and not supporting iOS, Android and Windows?

BlackBerry had problems selling BB10 in the enterprise market when the giants where focused in the consumer market, what is the hope now that all of them are investing in enterprise features?

I think Apple is competing with Microsoft, not with BlackBerry. Phones and tablets aren't just for sending email, a good platform is needed to develop mobile enterprise apps.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-16-14 10:02 AM
    Obviously, apple is trying to kill BlackBerry.

Apple and android are already making good money but still, apple really intends to kill BlackBerry. I don't think they're being greedy. I think they have missions.

My conclusion:

Because BlackBerry phones are hard to crack. This means, once this device goes onto bad guy's hand, anti-terrorist department will be having hard time and could ran out of time to do something before the bad guys starts the terror or fine tune & execute their bad plans.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 10:11 AM
    This appears to be neither good nor bad... It is just is.... competition is a good thing and will make BB innovate if it is to stay in the game....... unsure why there is an impact outside of PR.. It is not like Google/Sammy trying to crack the market.,.. they are in the unfortuante position of having to create the secure phone and the MDM solution from scratch.,.. then try to sell it....Both IBM and BB have been competing in the MDM enterprise market for a while.. so it is not that this brings much new to the MDM side.....the main draw back I would see is that is appears that the partnership will put Apple exclusively through IBM.... it in essence locks IBM into Apple sales...unsure with BB multi device MDM support will be affected as all any enterprise has to do with BES is to install and confiugre any device... would not be suprised if WP8 stats being supported... so in essence what has actually changed... just more competition wiht is better for everyone.....
    07-16-14 10:13 AM

I think Apple is competing with Microsoft, not with BlackBerry. Phones and tablets aren't just for sending email, a good platform is needed to develop mobile enterprise apps.
    I think this is dead on, I doubt Apple even recognizes Blackberry as a threat, this move is a play against Microsoft and even Google in the enterprise.
    early2bed and bbq10l like this.
    07-16-14 10:14 AM
362 ... 23456 ...