Could be trouble for BB.....

Stock down 45 cents after announcement and falling....

Apple, IBM in massive enterprise hardware, software partnership

Tech behemoths Apple and IBM announced a partnership Tuesday that could make Apple—traditionally a consumer brand—a major player in the business market.

IBM said it would create a class of more than 100 business applications exclusively for iPhones and iPads to run on Apple's iOS platform. In return, IBM will sell Apple's products filled with 100 industry-specific apps to its clients worldwide.

Some of the services IBM will provide via iOS include device management, security, analytics and mobile integration, they said in a release. In return, Apple's vaunted AppleCare service would provide support for these applications.

The partnership is about "transforming enterprise," Apple CEO Tim Cook told CNBC. The partnership aims to "deliver on the promise of mobile in a big way," he said.

One priority of the partnership will be security, said IBM CEO Virginia Rometty, an increasingly important topic as cyberhacking and surveillance become more ubiquitous concerns.

The news could impact Blackberry, once the industry leader in enterprise mobile, which is aiming to right itself after years of declining profits and fleeing clients.

The partnership is also sure to put more pressure on Microsoft, which is making it's own push into cloud and mobile services for enterprise clients.

That software giant is at the first stage of what CEO Satya Nadella recently said will be a transformation away from selling software. The company also launched a version of its office software for Apple's iPad earlier in the year.
    07-15-14 03:38 PM
    Interesting.
    07-15-14 03:45 PM
    Lot of people seem to be focused on BlackBerry's "niche" these days. They sure need to get it staked out and a fence put up pretty quickly - BES12?

BBRY was a little inflated, so any negative news is going to pop the bubble - maybe the QNX / Healthcare news will off set this... but I doubt it.
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    07-15-14 03:52 PM
    It was inevitable Apple was going to partner up to or buy out an enterprise player. IBM has the experience and expertise to build enterprise level applications and Apple provides the end user hardware and support.
    07-15-14 03:53 PM
    Can't wait to use Lotus 1-2-3 on an iPhone!

LOL

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 03:59 PM
    The real issue is that Apple and IBM have the financial muscle and engineering resources to make it happen and in a time frame that would probably freak some folks out.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    07-15-14 04:03 PM
    This actually scares me a little...

Posted via CB10
    1magine likes this.
    07-15-14 04:10 PM
    Blackberry needs to pair up with Microsoft.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 04:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely, they can't fight this alone.
    07-15-14 04:23 PM
    You should get the thread title changed, to reflect content better.
    07-15-14 04:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe Oracle or SAP
    07-15-14 04:30 PM
    Not concerned.

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 and Irish Blues like this.
    07-15-14 04:31 PM
    Could you elaborate?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 04:32 PM
    Funny how their apps are going to start rolling out in the fall,I sure am glad I don't work in this cutthroat industry.Let's actually see what they come out with and how many top security certificates they can obtain.It should be quite a while before they get those and I suspect that this announcement is really to stop Chen from gaining anymore traction.
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-15-14 04:33 PM
    meh , small thing for Apple, almost nothing for IBM, 100 enterprise specific apps, really , means 100 variants of order entry mobile apps on iPads to existing clients who are prob already manily on iPads now .... drop in the bucket for them. Not a market BB is in.

buy on the dip
    07-15-14 04:37 PM
    betting it is not exclusive for either partner
    07-15-14 04:38 PM
    Exclusive partnership, since only Apple offers iOS and IBM is providing customized services and software.

From Apple's press release: "... new class of more than 100 industry-specific enterprise solutions including native apps, developed exclusively from the ground up, for iPhone and iPad;
    unique IBM cloud services optimized for iOS, including device management, security, analytics and mobile integration;
    new AppleCare� service and support offering tailored to the needs of the enterprise; and
    new packaged offerings from IBM for device activation, supply and management..."

BBRY and MS and Google do need to worry. Security and enterprise have been among Apple's weak points and yet they still have dominated many aspects of mobile. If they can also get IBM's help with the cloud they have made big inroads in strengthening their vast ecosystem (and raking in the $$). I am not entirely sure what IBM is getting out of it (are we going to see more of their chips in Macs or even iOS devices in future?) but this is a strong step for Apple.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-15-14 04:44 PM
    One of the advantages of being huge is that you can dabble in a market like this, investing billions per year, and it won't even be noticeable on your earnings report. If you thought that the big tech companies would let a niche player like Blackberry dominate the enterprise mobile market then you've got another thing coming.
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    07-15-14 04:44 PM
    There is a certain irony to this announcement given that Apple has been telling us for years that it was designed for enterprise. I guess not.

Anyways, given that both Good Technology and Mobile Iron have been consistent money losers, it was pretty clear that Apple was going to look elsewhere. The first big problem for Apple is its security compromised iOS. Frankly, it is beyond a major overhaul and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. The second big problem is that no major company is going to tie itself to Apple instead of the BYOD movement. This is just monetary suicide and as such any IBM cloud solution needs to be device agonistic. The only way I can see a company going for Apple's proprietary wall garden approach is if they get huge discounts. Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens in a few years.
    07-15-14 04:45 PM
    This could be actually a good news for Blackberry. Both Apple and IBM are huge and Blackberry doesn't mean much to them. However, IBM and Apple partnership means a lot to IBM competitors. These are Accenture, Microsoft, HP to name a few. I think this partnership will heat up talks for more partnerships as competition intensifies in enterprise space, may be Microsoft with Blackberry or Accenture with Blackberry.
    La Emperor, spikesolie and wincyUt like this.
    07-15-14 04:47 PM
    I don't like this one bit...god I hate Apple so much.
    You have no idea, I loathe Apple from core of my heart and that feeling doesn't go away even after owning its shares. LOL
    07-15-14 04:49 PM
    Agreed, there is no reason for IBM to pimp itself out to a single vendor especially on the enterprise side.
    07-15-14 04:50 PM
    Here's my thought. BlackBerry is end to end... hardware AND software.

Apple can provide hardware and IBM can provide software, but it wouldn't truly be an end-to-end solution unless Apple is willing to modify iOS for IBM. Plus can Apple really provide the tools that enterprise want? Their devices are primarily media consuming and not really for creation. Data entry is really limited to touch with perhaps 3rd party accessories to help for specialized input. BlackBerry's Passport is the result of communicating with enterprise and I don't see Apple getting something like Passport out any time soon.

I do believe however they (Apple and IBM) understand the threat BlackBerry is to their enterprise ambitions and this relationship is to help mitigate that. The IBM software suite won't be available until next year which BlackBerry should have their BES 12 ready. IBM basically bought maas360 which is a leading Cloud Based EMM. Not all enterprises are for Cloud based solutions.

It is a competitive market out there and everyone wants a piece of the enterprise pie. No one will be letting BlackBerry take it back easily.
    Skyforever and lynxs_claw like this.
    07-15-14 04:50 PM
    It would take them 2 years to complete the final product. So relax and take it easy.
    Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 04:51 PM
    Stock has stabilized at 4% down. So not like the bottom is going to fall out.

This does not make iOS more secure. They get more apps.

Chances are BlackBerry will respond by saying they welcome the change and that bes 12 will manage these apps.

All this does is more apps and a secure cloud service. I don't see anything which says EMM similar to and in competition with BES.

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture and wincyUt like this.
    07-15-14 04:52 PM
362 123 ...