...to work on their carOS in their new office in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Can't be good for BlackBerry no matter how you spin it.

Apple Inc is developing its car operating system in Ottawa, using former BlackBerry Ltd engineers: sources

Communication's sent over BBM are NOT secured!
    10-26-16 05:12 AM
    ...but blackberry has successfully made the transition from an unprofitable hardware manufacturer to a profitable software company.

Clearly this story is mistaken.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 05:28 AM
    I can't see how QNX can be functioning at the level they were with this many engineers gone over to Apple. I mean, what kind of employment contracts did these guys have?? What a shame that Apple could just come and get the talent so easily. You could see it coming when we found out apple opened shop right beside QNX.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 06:02 AM
    Apple's car software was already based on QNX IIRC. Makes sense. Apple showed them a pile of money and they jumped on it. I don't blame the engineers, or Apple. For the engineers, often that's the best and sometimes only way to get a pay raise is to jump to another company.

Perhaps there are also details we don't know. Morale might be low at QNX for various reasons.
    10-26-16 07:41 AM
    Yeah when Apple opened an office and hired Dan Dodge.... you knew this was coming.

I expect more of those folks were loyal to Dan than they were to QNX or BlackBerry. But ultimately, what is the goal... create a complementary UI that will work with QNX? Or start over with the open source code to create a new version of QNX.

I'd bet they just want a really great UI that will work with all the components that are controlled by existing BlackBerry QNX.

But you do have to wonder if now that BB10 is dead... if BlackBerry would consider selling QNX if the price is right. I know QNX is key to BlackBerry's whole IoT strategy, but lets face it, that has gone pretty much no where. (please don't say Radar, unless you have some sales figures and can show BlackBerry hasn't been giving it away).
    10-26-16 08:05 AM
    Great opportunity for Apple! Assuming Apple's management manages to truly immerse Dan & company into "Apple culture", unlike Gateway or RIM, maybe they'll finally bring products to commercially successful fruition... ?? Hoping.
    10-26-16 05:06 PM
    I can't see how QNX can be functioning at the level they were with this many engineers gone over to Apple.
    That's probably why John Chen said they were hiring engineers.
    10-26-16 05:08 PM
    Living in Ottawa, I say this is great for the local economy!
    10-26-16 07:49 PM
    Very original apple. Big surprise. At this rate I cannot blame them,money talks
    10-27-16 06:27 PM
    With Dan gone, and likely his hand picked team of the best brains who created QNX, I am not sure that hiring new engineers is going to help.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-27-16 06:59 PM
    If Apple is interested in QNX engineers to this extent then they must be interested in the division itself. John Chen is probably willing to sell but is likely just holding out for a higher valuation. It's not as if he's using QNX as BlackBerry's core technology anymore. Apple's strategic response is to hire away its key personnel, putting pressure on BlackBerry to sell while it still retains the lion's share of its talent.

The mobility solutions business might even be worth something to Apple. BBRY is worth about what Apple earns in 1 month (of profit) so it's really only a matter of time. Much of this probably depends on whether Chen can make the long term prospects of the company look good enough for the major shareholders to stay the course.
    Last edited by early2bed; 10-27-16 at 09:03 PM.
    10-27-16 08:29 PM
    Hope Apple buys Blackberry next. That way, Apple phones will have better security, and Blackberry will definitely survive. Win-win for both!
    10-27-16 09:45 PM
    If Apple is interested in QNX engineers to this extent then they must be interested in the division itself. John Chen is probably willing to sell but is likely just holding out for a higher valuation. It's not as if he's using QNX as BlackBerry's core technology anymore. Apple's strategic response is to hire away its key personnel, putting pressure on BlackBerry to sell while it still retains the lion's share of its talent.

The mobility solutions business might even be worth something to Apple. BBRY is worth about what Apple earns in 1 month (of profit) so it's really only a matter of time. Much of this probably depends on whether Chen can make the long term prospects of the company look good enough for the major shareholders to stay the course.

I will be the first to admit that I am not very tech savvy. Wouldn't BlackBerry being using the QNX team and the technology to grow their secure software business?

I believe the scalability of the QNX system is where the value lies. If I am not mistaken there is a pipeline of products and services that I suspect BlackBerry would like to have up and running in the relative near future.

BlackBerry could still look at selling the division to a competitor if it's getting harder to gain traction business wise.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 12:12 AM
    I will be the first to admit that I am not very tech savvy. Wouldn't BlackBerry being using the QNX team and the technology to grow their secure software business?
    They hired Dodge and some other members of his team to build the OS for their car. The central OS for a car, especially an autonomous driving car, is an ideal application for a design such as QNX.

I don't think they have interest in the QNX division. I can't see why they would even want to inherit all of the contracts with other car companies, etc. If I were Apple, I would just want to key brains at QNX, and that seems to be what they are buying right now.
    10-28-16 06:41 AM

There's little doubt that the end game for BlackBerry is a sale to a larger player. The goal is to return to some kind of strategic growth so that the company can be valued at a premium instead of the sum of its parts in a breakup/fire sale.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 07:54 AM
    QNX just for car is short sighted. QNX got footing in industry (IoT) and medical application. Both are bigger fish to fry for apple. Deplete the talent at alarming level for a software only company - BB is very troubling. However, BB10 overlay of droid, if done properly, it could save droid from its lag, security problem, bloat ware, if done properly... the advantage will require google come off its high horse to see the droid short comings (BB too to admit the BB10 deficiency) to combine and make something good (not necessary great - that may need overhaul even a new platform, would upset many users due to backward compatibility issues). Google usually like Darwinning theory, marriage to outsider like BB can strengthen its gene pool (DNA). Driod self in house replication may cause some deficiency - like memory hungry monster. IMHO.
    10-28-16 08:07 AM
    Hope Apple buys Blackberry next. That way, Apple phones will have better security, and Blackberry will definitely survive. Win-win for both!
    If Apple buys Blackberry, you will never see a Blackberry branded phone or software product again.
    10-28-16 09:00 AM
    If Apple buys Blackberry, you will never see a Blackberry branded phone or software product again.
    We may be headed that way regardless.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 11:22 AM
    I also agree that part of the end game is for BlackBerry to pursue a sale to a larger player if they can fetch a reasonable purchase price for shareholders.

The previous Conservative Government wasn't really interested in having a company like BlackBerry, an iconic Canadian company be sold. The optics didn't look good which is of similar reason why they didn't allow the sale of Potash Corp of Saskatchewan to go through.

A few news articles I have read have indicated that John Chen feels the Liberal Government currently in power aren't as opposed to an outright sale as the previous government.

Ideally the company continues to turn around and keeps as many jobs as possible in Canada but the fact that they have a stronger presence in the tech hub of California also helps them with product innovation and talent attraction.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 11:29 AM
    One of the barriers to Apple buying QNX is that the car companies now consider Apple and Google to be significant competitors since both are planning on disrupting the automobile space. An Apple-owned QNX would probably lose a big chunk of its current install base.

It's also possible that, rather than create a new operating system for automobiles, Apple is using the ex-QNX employees to add auto-functionality to MacOS/iOS. Contrary to what some believe, QNX does not run iOS apps anymore than a PC display runs Windows.
    10-28-16 11:53 AM
    If Apple was to buy BBerry it would be for QNX and patents, and not much else. I just can't imaging the BB brand is worth anything to them.
    10-28-16 04:00 PM
    One of the barriers to Apple buying QNX is that the car companies now consider Apple and Google to be significant competitors since both are planning on disrupting the automobile space. An Apple-owned QNX would probably lose a big chunk of its current install base.

It's also possible that, rather than create a new operating system for automobiles, Apple is using the ex-QNX employees to add auto-functionality to MacOS/iOS. Contrary to what some believe, QNX does not run iOS apps anymore than a PC display runs Windows.
    Apple wanted the engineering talent not QNX. They got the talent without the cost of trying to buy QNX from BlackBerry.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-28-16 04:16 PM
    If Apple was to buy BBerry it would be for QNX and patents, and not much else. I just can't imaging the BB brand is worth anything to them.
    patent are over rated... specifically for a weak company... i wait to see BB win the legal battle to Blu and other copy cats.
    10-28-16 06:52 PM
    patent are over rated... specifically for a weak company... i wait to see BB win the legal battle to Blu and other copy cats.
    Unless they are copying Blackberry's design and implementation I don't see what they would have to sue about.
    10-29-16 06:15 PM
    Isn't QNX like the only "blackberry owned" division that's actually doing well?? Well at least I'm assuming it is.......bought my Ford Edge 2016 because of QNX..it better be doing well!! Lol j/k

Posted via CB10
    10-30-16 09:26 PM
29 12