Clearly it's the smartphone industry in general...High end market has slowed dramatically and low end of the industry of the market has NO profits.
    Apple and Samsung are probably at higher risk due to record margins compared to BlackBerry which has lower margins. BlackBerry has its own set of challenges though.
    Clearly it's not a great year for anyone but hopefully things will improve as people upgrade thier smartphones at some point.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry and keypad like this.
    07-05-13 09:55 AM
    Clearly it's the smartphone industry in general...High end market has slowed dramatically and low end of the industry of the market has NO profits.
    Apple and Samsung are probably at higher risk due to record margins compared to BlackBerry which has lower margins. BlackBerry has its own set of challenges though.
    Clearly it's not a great year for anyone but hopefully things will improve as people upgrade thier smartphones at some point.

Posted via CB10
    Over-saturation of technology. People eventually get sick of too much new tech.
    Bowlegz likes this.
    07-05-13 10:02 AM

Saturation point is coming for mid to high tier smartphone market.

Let's hope for more competition and consumers getting more Bang for their Buck.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:03 AM
    It could also be that we are dealing with Wall Street and what they THINK you should be doing, and if you don't do it they get upset. They still made a profit, just not as much as what they should in theory have done. Plain dumb
    07-05-13 10:04 AM
    Or there are over hyped expectations and when they aren't met, they result in disappointments. And stock selling.
    Not dumb at all. Business 101.
    07-05-13 10:07 AM
    Samsung's volatility is interesting (and probably mitigated) by its diversity of manufacturing.

It's interesting, though, to see more reality into these stocks.
    07-05-13 10:15 AM
    It's peak smartphone.

Whatever happened to peak oil??

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:16 AM
    The VAST majority of people I know do not rush out and buy the newest devices out there. They do not change their phones very often and always wait for their contracts to expire. Even then I would say most of them do not change their phones. That us especially true for those people who get their phones through work or have work pay for their phones. So it is no surprise to me that the market is becoming a bit saturated.

With regard to stock prices, I do not understand why anyone would buy anything based on stock prices, except stocks. So why do tech people and the media watch the stock prices so closely? Sure some folks own stocks but for the rest of us who don't, why care? Is it a measure of popularity? Go figure.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:22 AM
    wall steet has made it that you not only have to make great profits they must be ungodly high! its no win for anyone in the game right now
    07-05-13 10:28 AM
    The VAST majority of people I know do not rush out and buy the newest devices out there. They do not change their phones very often and always wait for their contracts to expire. Even then I would say most of them do not change their phones. That us especially true for those people who get their phones through work or have work pay for their phones. So it is no surprise to me that the market is becoming a bit saturated.

With regard to stock prices, I do not understand why anyone would buy anything based on stock prices, except stocks. So why do tech people and the media watch the stock prices so closely? Sure some folks own stocks but for the rest of us who don't, why care? Is it a measure of popularity? Go figure.

Posted via CB10
    It's more from stockholders prepective...drop in stock price does reflect possible drop in earnings most of the times..Customers don't care except very large enterprises which may get ticked off if they see huge drop in vendors stock price.

Posted via CB10
    When people think Samsung they think Galaxy smartphones. But they also have a bevy of other products...tv's, appliances, home electronics, computers, etc. It's not all about mobile for them.

Posted via CB10
    Apple and Samsung are doing just fine, and are making alot of money. Slowed profit growth hardly spells doom and gloom for those companies. Wall St of course focuses on expected and projected growth. So yes it does speak to market saturation in certain categories. Of course, BBRY is in another situation. There is big difference between a loss and slowed profit growth, even though the effect on Wall St may be similar.
    07-05-13 10:40 AM
    When people think Samsung they think Galaxy smartphones. But they also have a bevy of other products...tv's, appliances, home electronics, computers, etc. It's not all about mobile for them.

Posted via CB10
    That's one thing I like about them...they are great in all of them...on the other hand it also exposes them to the risk that they might not be able focus on each of them in future as well as they have done in past

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:53 AM
    Smartphone is a commodity now. I have been claiming for years that Android represents the commoditization of the smartphone. Smartphone penetration has peaked after 5 years of blistering growth in developed countries. The stock market is simply a forward discount pricing mechanism. The stock prices are reflecting slower growth for the winners: Samsung and Apple. The only growth now is in emerging markets like India, China, and Indonesia. This is why Apple is releasing a cheaper iPhone (primarily for China in my opinion). It will be still too expensive for the masses in India. Samsung is simply flooding the market with a plethora of models: It has 27 screen sizes for its Galaxy line:
    Apple iOS screen sizes: 4. Samsung Android sizes: 27. - Apple 2.0 -Fortune Tech

People might think I'm sacrilegious for stating BB needs to get out of the hardware game. But their current strategy is unsustainable. This is a volume business. How long can BB post loses? What I care about is the survival of the patient for family, friends, and colleagues in Waterloo, Ontario.
    07-05-13 11:06 AM
    Agreed people eventually will become content with their smartphone, I how much processing power and memory do we really need on our phone? Afterall most of us have tablets and computers as well...let's face it, these phones aren't getting any less expensive either!
    07-05-13 11:07 AM
    Agreed people eventually will become content with their smartphone, I how much processing power and memory do we really need on our phone? Afterall most of us have tablets and computers as well...let's face it, these phones aren't getting any less expensive either!
    I call it smartphone fatigue, people are tired of always chasing the latest and greatest, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

The problem is the mighty fall harder.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    07-05-13 11:31 AM
    That's one thing I like about them...they are great in all of them...on the other hand it also exposes them to the risk that they might not be able focus on each of them in future as well as they have done in past

Posted via CB10
    Better to be diversified though I would imagine.
    07-05-13 11:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    top of all that , Samsung is construction company, guess who built the tallest building in Dubai, insurance company, defense contractor, automobile maker, yes , they sell cars too, ship builder, etc. they have almost 40,000 people working in R&D alone. I think Samsung is in whole different league.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-05-13 12:14 PM
    I don't see how 8.3 Billion profit is a fail. However I did not see how much of that was Mobile. Its true that most people have a smartphone and are not going to run out to buy the newest and greatest. One of the telling reviews that was on Android Central stated that really a lot of the "gimmicks" on the S4 were great for ads and demo's but in reality it's stuff most people wont use. It's going to be very hard to maintain the level of sales in the future. Most of use are on a 2 year cycle and can't afford $700.00 to get a new phone because it's cool or innovative.
    07-05-13 12:52 PM
    lol what did you expect they are just phones they were going to turn into tools eventually thast what tehy are.Look how android and apple are rushing to add functionality to devices the whole entertainment of phone devices going down cant compete with PS4's.Phones are going back to being tools.Smartphones only blew up cause of no next gen consoles.

Now that next gen consoles are coming out hometainment will be the rich tech earners.Its obvious slower upgrades and lower prices are to follow.As much as spec bumping was great all oems did was lower part prices and make devices last 2-3 years.Users do not need to upgrade every year software updates are that good.Sim card and data plans,wifi spots also keep people content with their phone.

The hyped up phone market was'nt gonna last forever with $�700 devices its actually sad it got that high.Android will dominate market share with it being manufacturers dream.Everyone will have to look for revenue elsewhere samsung is fine they apporached smartphones with a get it while we can approach.I dont care what apple will do they will continue their consumer thing.BB already moving into other domains m2m pushing tech forward.

Its just a simple technology shift happening theworld changes every 4 years phone hype would eventually die.
    07-05-13 01:06 PM
    Only way out of this is upgrade cycle or some real innovation...Consumers decide upgrade cycle so manufacturers must bring some innovation to the table for sales to pick up

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 01:25 PM
    It's peak smartphone.

Whatever happened to peak oil??

Posted via CB10
    I think we're approaching peak oil. Price of gas at the pumps (squeeze every last penny out of us). War in oil rich countries. The introduction of new hybrid and electric cars.
    07-05-13 09:13 PM
    BLASPHEMY! lol
    07-05-13 09:19 PM
    Gone are the day when folk bought 2 or three mobile phones. The economy may have finally caught up to greed tech companies. Technology and innovation should be make mobile hardware affordable not expensive. only if they can build a unit that can be taken apart and upgraded something like a car or like a true computer. How many times do you through your laptop or desktop away to buy the latest model. They can Make money from selling new parts ( processors, screens, hard drives, etc..) like the automotive industry.
    07-05-13 09:32 PM