Have you guys noticed that there has been virtually no big name apps that have arrived in BlackBerry world? The most resent one was Viber and it was an awful Android port. Do you think the z3 will help due to the sales going currently well?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 05:12 PM
    Have you guys noticed that there has been virtually no big name apps that have arrived in BlackBerry world? The most resent one was Viber and it was an awful Android port. Do you think the z3 will help due to the sales going currently well?

Posted via CB10
    I think it's likely we'll be dealing with mostly Android ports, probably even more so than now, for the next few years, if they manage to survive and become sustainable, perhaps we'll see more native development, but as for now there's not much incentive for big names to spend resources to do so. The z3 probably won't have much, if any, impact on this issue. It selling well doesn't equate to selling enough to matter to developers. iOS is secure where it is, Android is activating roughly what BlackBerry does in 1 quarter in 1 day, if you were a developer, you'd likely go with the numbers.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-16-14 05:15 PM
    It's the chicken and egg story. Developers will not develop the apps without a lot of customers and customers will not buy the phone without the apps.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    05-16-14 05:27 PM
    I think for once, BlackBerry users have to be really vocal (and actually pay for it) about what they as users want in the form of an app in BlackBerry World.

I'm going to just point to the direction where we had I believe 2/3 developers attempting to create an instagram app (because people kept saying they would buy it), but I'm not sure if people actually bought it.

We had people clamoring for a better facebook messaging app, (one forum poster here even claimed to donate USD50 if the app actually surfaces), but what do the devs get?

I believe for better or worse, the real chicken and egg issue would be not about asking what big names would come, but rather what can collectively BlackBerry users pay to the developers.

If developers from other platforms find that BlackBerry users are actually willing to pay (not just yap in forums raising USD50 and then back out of it when such an app actually exists) and the ARPU is better (collectively), then developers will actually develop not because of pent up demand, but real hard cold cash waiting in line.
    05-16-14 07:34 PM