I'm not sure it's a 'we' though. The people who are on a place like this will be the people who want lots and lots. But we are not typical, and we are not normal (some less normal than others!).

It is extremely difficult for people who explore the capabilities of a phone to comprehend that that isn't a normal approach. Mention the things that annoy us and the eyes of most people will glaze over. They're just not interested. And that's why the app thing gets overstated sometimes, because most people don't care as much as we do. There is an issue if something they want isn't available, but confirmation bias amongst a group of phone fanatics is very prevalent.

Posted via CB10
    So not having the apps basically everyone uses, isn't a problem for everyone who uses them?

Or did I misunderstand you?

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    08-30-14 04:33 PM
    I somewhat agree with you. Apple caters to a premium-priced sector, and I like functionality on a dime LOL.

But therein is the problem for BBRY: there are several cheaper alternatives to iOS with better ecosystems. Also, BBRY flagship devices aren't much cheaper than Apple devices, are they?
    I can only speak about iPhones and Macs, but for me, the extra money is absolutely worth it. This will be even more true when iOS 8 and Yosemite get here.

I used to laugh at Mac folks for having more money than sense. But after using Pages on a friend's iMac to write a term paper, I immediately went out and bought a retina Macbook Pro and will never use Windows again if I can help it. I had no idea before how sorry that whole experience was until I used OS X. There really is no comparison. After you use a Mac, you'll know exactly where that extra money went.

As for iPhone, I just prefer iOS. Android has improved a thousand-fold compared to what it was. And I enjoy the whole Android experience on a N7. But I don't want to have to depend on it for a phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-30-14 05:54 PM
    So not having the apps basically everyone uses, isn't a problem for everyone who uses them?

Or did I misunderstand you?

Posted via CB10
    Yes you did.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 07:20 PM
    Personally, I have spent about $5 dollars on apps but I understand what you are saying. I own a Android Tablet and using an APK extractor I just emailed my free android apps over to my Z10. Even with just 10.2.1 they work well enough for me.

Your post is interesting because it represents what is happening in the market today. BlackBerry does not offer a phone that can compete with the Moto G. Perhaps the new LTE Z3 with a better screen might. The Q phones are not phones that 99% of 11 year olds would want especially if it cannot play a game well. Kids today are brought up from the cradle exposed to their parents Tablet so the chances of a pre teen wanting a Q are less than zero ( in NA and the UK).

I like how you purchased an unlocked phone and then sought out a plan. Here in NA you can buy many phones for Zero down but pay for the phone in the form of additional charges to your phone bill. Many consumers never get past the Zero down to seek out a true bargain phone.
    The Moto G couldn't even do Photo Spheres in Google Camera because it lacked a Gyro.

The Lumia 520 doesn't have a FFC so good luck with those Selfies and Video Calling.

That's the kind of second rate user experience you tend to get when you prioritize "bargain" too high (some people have no choice, some do).

Phones like the Moto G are great for people who are looking for something a bit more low end at a good price point. People who aren't necessarily looking for high end performance and capabilities are happy with it. It is not a suitable replacement for a flagship device, no matter how attractive the pricing is. The potential disappointment and frustrations later on are often not worth what you save to settle on a phone like that.
    09-06-14 01:58 PM
    I can only speak about iPhones and Macs, but for me, the extra money is absolutely worth it. This will be even more true when iOS 8 and Yosemite get here.

I used to laugh at Mac folks for having more money than sense. But after using Pages on a friend's iMac to write a term paper, I immediately went out and bought a retina Macbook Pro and will never use Windows again if I can help it. I had no idea before how sorry that whole experience was until I used OS X. There really is no comparison. After you use a Mac, you'll know exactly where that extra money went.

As for iPhone, I just prefer iOS. Android has improved a thousand-fold compared to what it was. And I enjoy the whole Android experience on a N7. But I don't want to have to depend on it for a phone.

Apple has selling points, but because you wrote a Term Paper in Pages you bought a Mac? Umm, what?

What version of Windows and Office (if any?) were you using? Windows 8.1 integrates OneDrive at the Platform Level. Office Integrates OneDrive and saves to there by default. There are OneDrive and Office Mobile/OneNote Mobile apps for iOS and Android, as well as OSX and Windows, as well as the Web Browser.

The workflow on both platforms is pretty similar, so it begs the question how is Windows so "sorry" compared to OSX when - currently - Microsoft has their crap in a lot more order than Apple does as far as productivity is concerned.

Most people are aware than Word is superior to Pages, so you cannot be switching because you think it's a better Word processor.

I do think Apple's iOS apps for Productivity are superior to Office Mobile, but Office Mobile is good enough and fully integrated into the rest of the stack, so it gets the job done. The iPad apps are IMO much better than their smartphone apps, though.

There are some components that Microsoft chose to abandon rather than improve, like the Mail, Calendar, Contacts apps in Vista went away when 7 was launched cause they didn't want to maintain them. So yea, Apple does give a bit more convenience without the perspective switches compared to Windows 8.1. But I don't really fine one to be so superior over the other for general computing. Just different aesthetics and in some places different priorities (towards enterprise for Windows, towards creative for Apple).

No, Pages isn't worth paying almost twice as much as a really capable Windows notebook to get a MacBook Pro. Not to me. But, you aren't me.
    09-06-14 02:17 PM
    Apple has selling points, but because you wrote a Term Paper in Pages you bought a Mac? Umm, what?

What version of Windows and Office (if any?) were you using? Windows 8.1 integrates OneDrive at the Platform Level. Office Integrates OneDrive and saves to there by default. There are OneDrive and Office Mobile/OneNote Mobile apps for iOS and Android, as well as OSX and Windows, as well as the Web Browser.

The workflow on both platforms is pretty similar, so it begs the question how is Windows so "sorry" compared to OSX when - currently - Microsoft has their crap in a lot more order than Apple does as far as productivity is concerned.

Most people are aware than Word is superior to Pages, so you cannot be switching because you think it's a better Word processor.

I do think Apple's iOS apps for Productivity are superior to Office Mobile, but Office Mobile is good enough and fully integrated into the rest of the stack, so it gets the job done. The iPad apps are IMO much better than their smartphone apps, though.

There are some components that Microsoft chose to abandon rather than improve, like the Mail, Calendar, Contacts apps in Vista went away when 7 was launched cause they didn't want to maintain them. So yea, Apple does give a bit more convenience without the perspective switches compared to Windows 8.1. But I don't really fine one to be so superior over the other for general computing. Just different aesthetics and in some places different priorities (towards enterprise for Windows, towards creative for Apple).

No, Pages isn't worth paying almost twice as much as a really capable Windows notebook to get a MacBook Pro. Not to me. But, you aren't me.
    The last time I used windows was 7. And it was a vastly superior experience to prior versions of windows.

But not as good as OS X. After I got a taste of that.

Can't speak to Windows 8. For all I know its awesome. I don't care to go back though.

09-06-14 10:16 PM
    Based on what I've seen of BB OS10.2+ the BlackBerry hub is pretty awesome looking. Seriously, put aside to nonsense notion of variety, how many twitter apps do you need ? How many mail apps do you need ? How many Facebook apps does anyone need ? When BlackBerry nicely consolidates these multiple outlets and inlets of information,mail and social media in the hub, I would be missing the point to believe that I need 1,000,000+ apps to achieve the simple act of communication. Oh and by the way, if I wish to know how unhealthy I am, lack of sleep, weight loss or gain seen in the mirror, breathlessness, and death are as many indications of my poor health as I need. I definitely don't need an app for that. Cheers !

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-07-14 02:56 PM
    Oh and by the way, if I wish to know how unhealthy I am, lack of sleep, weight loss or gain seen in the mirror, breathlessness, and death are as many indications of my poor health as I need. I definitely don't need an app for that. Cheers !

Yeah I can look outside and see the weather so I guess we don't need weather apps either.
    m1a1mg, TGR1, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    09-07-14 05:35 PM
    Yeah I can look outside and see the weather so I guess we don't need weather apps either.
    LOL. Exactly.
    09-08-14 05:52 AM
    I would be missing the point to believe that I need 1,000,000+ apps to achieve the simple act of communication.
    You've got that right. A smartphone's only purpose is communication! It's the same thing with PCs, tens of millions of PC applications? How pointless. My OS comes with everything I need to do everything that productive people should need a computer for: Internet Explorer, Wordpad & Windows Live Mail. I don't need 10� million word processors and solitaire games.
    09-08-14 10:07 AM
    Wasn't BBOS notoriously difficult to code applications for?

09-09-14 06:36 AM
    Of course we can do better than iOS in some areas. Better keyboard, better messaging due to apps, better multitasking, etc2. Our multitasking beats every OS out there.
    I agree the iOS keyboard is awful but come iOS8 you will be able to use swiftkey which is the underlying technology for the BB10 virtual keyboard. Not sure I understand what you mean by better messaging, I think the functionality between the two platforms is fairly similar, as is multitasking. I think the Note Series takes the crown for best multitasking but those are just my opinions. I don't think BlackBerry can truly win trying to market any functionality that is better, they need to market the BB10 expierence.

09-09-14 07:14 AM
    I agree the iOS keyboard is awful but come iOS8 you will be able to use swiftkey which is the underlying technology for the BB10 virtual keyboard. Not sure I understand what you mean by better messaging, I think the functionality between the two platforms is fairly similar, as is multitasking. I think the Note Series takes the crown for best multitasking but those are just my opinions. I don't think BlackBerry can truly win trying to market any functionality that is better, they need to market the BB10 expierence.

Swiftkey (and the other keyboards to come) is a big win for iOS IMHO.
    mornhavon likes this.
    09-09-14 02:08 PM
    Swiftkey (and the other keyboards to come) is a big win for iOS IMHO.
    Agreed. I can't stand the stock iOS keyboard. Between that and the larger screens and other enhancements that the new iPhones bring to the table, iOS is starting to look interesting for the first time in years IMHO.
    spikesolie likes this.
    09-09-14 03:05 PM
    Most of the apps I actually used I don't need anymore. BlackBerry 10 is making leaps with every update.
    Flashlight app built in now
    Network usage built in 10.3
    Panorama camera built in 10.3
    Flip to mute/sleep built in 10.3

For example

Posted via CB10
    All that has been on other phones for years now, so that isn't a reason to pick a blackberry. They need more of the niche apps that other platforms are getting. It's always those special purpose apps that keep people on other platforms. Aso, being ignored by Google and other major players don't help.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    TGR1 likes this.
    11-08-14 05:20 AM
    Huge App portfolio is basically how supermarkets operate. They have thousands of items (food, toothpaste, toiletries) that they stock but maybe only a hundred get bought regularly and some are just left on the shelves to rot. They also have the same food item (milk & toothpaste) but different brands. Supermarkets stock as many items as they can to meet all consumer needs. This is why you will find Gluten free food, which are not as popular as other food types, being sold in the market as there may be wheat-allergic members in a family (not all) and that family would go to that market as it will meet all their needs. Now compare this to a Mom & Pop or 7-11 store that has select items. Those stores are usually reserved for late night emergency visits but then again there are 24-hour supermarkets nowadays.

And here's the most important part - if a hot new food product comes out (or App), that new item (App) won't be at the Mom & Pop store first. The supermarket will be the first to offer it.

To say a comprehensive Apps store is over hyped is like saying Supermarkets are over hyped since the average person only buys maybe 20 items regularly while the thousands of products on the shelves are ignored.
    Tre Lawrence, JeepBB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    11-08-14 05:44 PM
    I think it is. But then i'm not like most users. Which is why I own a blackberry

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 07:59 PM
    Yes, These stats are typical. Five years ago, Apps were the way the functionality of the smartphone was extended. This resonated with the buying public and Apple was in the right place at the right time. The truth is, times have moved on and with it the buying public's singular fascination with Apps. Now it is about mobility, IOT and integrated cloud services. As pointed out by an analyst on Bloomsburg yesterday, Apple simply has nothing to offer in this emerging area. He noted that every other company has a real cloud strategy which extends smartphone functionality. Even BlackBerry got a small plug. As he said, the new hardware has appeal and the Apple name has cache but innovation is lacking. It hangs like a lead balloon over Sept launch.

Technology changes and so do the players.

Posted via CB10
    Apple is totally lacking innovation and I've had three iphones with the last one the iphone6 being returned. Apple hasn't done anything and their laggy outdated phones can't handle my day to day demands. The passport is the king of smartphones as it allows me to get three times the work done in half the time it took on the iphone. The going in and out is a time killer. The iphone can't handle multi tasking. It's to bad cause apple was once really great and now well below average. As for apps It wasn't important and I don't remember Any must app when I was using the iphone. The app debate is apple propaganda that people will wake up to their lack of innovation and mediocrity.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:17 PM
    Apple is totally lacking innovation and I've had three iphones with the last one the iphone6 being returned. Apple hasn't done anything and their laggy outdated phones can't handle my day to day demands. The passport is the king of smartphones as it allows me to get three times the work done in half the time it took on the iphone. The going in and out is a time killer. The iphone can't handle multi tasking. It's to bad cause apple was once really great and now well below average. As for apps It wasn't important and I don't remember Any must app when I was using the iphone. The app debate is apple propaganda that people will wake up to their lack of innovation and mediocrity.

Posted via CB10
    I dunno. I'm using iOS 8.1 with my 2012 retina Macbook and I'm not aware of any other company that's got so much functionality as tightly woven in such a package. Because their aren't any.

And I'm sorry, but to say your iPhone 6 was "laggy" only tells everyone you've never touched an iPhone 6. Apple is the only company designing their own chipsets to work uniquely with their own UNIX-based operating system. And it's plainly evident.

You don't have to take my word for it. Check geekbench.

11-10-14 12:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just interested. What are your "day to day demands" that the iPhone 6 can't handle?
    11-10-14 02:00 PM
195 ... 678