It's not overhyped. Android and Apple devices have apps which control home security systems, car electronics, smart appliances, banking and insurance, school and university transactions... the list goes on. BlackBerry is useless in this department. The only people to whom it's overhyped is diehard BlackBerry users.

I love my Z10, but I'm not blind to its very limited capabilities vs apple and androids. BlackBerry 10 with the capabilities of apple and android, and you'd have the perfect device IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a die-hard BlackBerry fan but recently have started carrying an Android because my friends got me hooked on Clash of Clans.

I also recently picked up a Jawbone Up24 and knew I could get the app via Snap, so I installed Snap & downloaded the Up app. Guess what: the Up app needs a newer version of the Android OS than the version that our runtime emulates. So I had to once again bring my secondary device into play.

I love BB10 and would love to carry it alone. It would be great if I could enjoy Clash of Clans and the Up app on my Z30, and could ditch this Android but no-can-do at least until the OS update hopefully brings a newer Android runtime (which might enable at least for Up app).
    I have to admit that the app situation and lack of the Google Play store is getting old fast at this point, at least for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 10:28 AM
    This site should change its name to "IDontNeedAppsBerry"
    dragyn451 and JeepBB like this.
    08-25-14 10:34 AM
    They don't need to know what an ecosystem is.

They just need to see the benefits of usability in a homogeneous set of services vs. what Blackberry offers on their devices; which is anything but, cause they don't offer enough services to be on par with those platforms.

This is especially a bad deficiency for Blackberry, because their platform is newer than the rest and they're at the position where they actually need to get people to switch from Android, iOS, or Winodws Phone to their platform. So, those users will notice - very quickly - the differences in user experience as it pertains to services and service integration. The difference is stark. Those other platforms do all the work for you (services integrated, apps preloaded if any are even needed) while Blackberry requires the user to do a lot of work finding services that work decently with and on that platform instead.
    I guess it might even be a major difference between the US market and the rest of the world. "Ecosystems" consisting of Apple PC + iPhone + iPad + Apple TV and so on sometimes seem pretty common in the US as far as I can tell, at least from tech sites, blogs and forums. Looking around average consumers here in Germany draws a different picture though. Windows PC + whatever smartphone loaded with WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and you have pretty much 95% of smartphone buyers needs covered here. At least so it seems. I know exactly two people who have an Apple PC and exactly one who has an Apple TV. And the one with the Apple TV doesn't have an Apple PC.

Of course all this isn't that representative at all, but I think with the right device BlackBerry has a better shot in the great scheme of things (meaning their low targeted sales world wide) than anybody thinks it has.

Inside our nerd bubble of internet commenting tech enthusiasts, ecosystems are always a great part of the whole picture, even to an extent that people are even said to be "invested" in them. But honestly, looking around actual average consumers outside the bubble I see lots of people don't caring about ecosystems at all, let alone being "invested" in anything. They use an iPhone or random Android device (because its said to be worth their money), use stock apps + WhatsApp + Facebook, do casual email on their phones and play games. Which is why I'm under the impression that a pretty phone always has the chance to win an average consumer.

Posted via CB10
    cman5 likes this.
    08-25-14 10:39 AM
    ^
    So what about apps for public transportation?
    Do they exist on BB10? (They surely don't in Switzerland)
    Car2Go?
    Uber?
    Banking Apps? (still a no, even if I am living in the country of banks)

And those are just few of the apps I know most people around me use.
    When we enter the territory of entertainment apps, the comparison just gets sadder and sadder for BB10.
    You also ignored the widely used Google apps.

@Apple Devices....
    I don't know when you last entered a university, but as far as I know, having an Apple PC (MacBook), is pretty much the norm. Actually, Apple owns the Notebook market for 999$+ machines. Worldwide.

Yes, it isn't that common to have everything from Apple in Europe this is correct.

Now onto the tech nerd bubble...
    We already established, that knowing what an ecosystem is, or being able to describe it, isn't necessary to feel the lack of one.
    Open BBW and search for Gmail app (push) or Google maps. You won't find them?
    Congratulations, you just experienced the lack of an ecosystem, without even knowing what it is.

This site should change its name to "IDontNeedAppsBerry"
    I'm just waiting for the guy who explains me that I should use the browser because it's so much better than apps ....

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon, anon8656116 and JeepBB like this.
    08-25-14 11:24 AM
    This argument just never goes away, does it? Again and again we hear about how there are so many apps on iOS and Play that are never downloaded; how many people only have a handful of apps on their phones; and now how most people download zero apps per month. None of these things has any relevance to whether "the app situation is overhyped."

Maybe it's best to begin with a question. Just what is "the app situation", as it concerns BB10? In my opinion the answer is this: BB10 users are less likely than iPhone or Android (with Google Services) users to be able to find the apps they want. Why? Because fewer apps are available, and many of the more popular ones are missing. The more popular apps are, by definition, the ones most people want.

Anyone who can't obtain and use an app they want is dealing with "the app situation," whether they have forty apps on their BB10 phone or just four. They're dealing with it if they fail to download an app they want because it's not there, even if they never again try to download another app.

The "app situation" is somewhat alleviated, but not fundamentally changed, by the Amazon App Store.

As long as "the app situation" thus defined afflicts BB10 users more than iPhone or Android users, and perhaps WP users, it's not overhyped.
    08-25-14 11:37 AM
    ^
    So what about apps for public transportation?
    Do they exist on BB10? (They surely don't in Switzerland)
    Car2Go?
    Uber?
    Banking Apps? (still a no, even if I am living in the country of banks)

And those are just few of the apps I know most people around me use.
    When we enter the territory of entertainment apps, the comparison just gets sadder and sadder for BB10.
    You also ignored the widely used Google apps.

@Apple Devices....
    I don't know when you last entered a university, but as far as I know, having an Apple PC (MacBook), is pretty much the norm. Actually, Apple owns the Notebook market for 999$+ machines. Worldwide.

Yes, it isn't that common to have everything from Apple in Europe this is correct.

Now onto the tech nerd bubble...
    We already established, that knowing what an ecosystem is, or being able to describe it, isn't necessary to feel the lack of one.
    Open BBW and search for Gmail app (push) or Google maps. You won't find them?
    Congratulations, you just experienced the lack of an ecosystem, without even knowing what it is.

I'm just waiting for the guy who explains me that I should use the browser because it's so much better than apps ....

Posted via CB10
    Public transportation: no idea, don't know anyone who uses public transportation where I live, since everyone drives cars here. Don't know about bigger cities though. Maybe a simple Android app works for this one? After all urban citizens managed to get from A to B for decades.

Car2Go: no idea what that's good for or what it does, neither do I know anyone who uses it.

Uber: similar to public transportation, but as a niche. Uber is so far from being main stream or a mass service in Germany....

Banking Apps: nobody I know does banking on a phone, we still use computers for it, once a week at most, since most transactions are done completely automatically.

Entertainment: games - BlackBerry has them. Music, radio, Video, all manageable via drag and drop, which is still the most commonly way to consume media in Germany AFAICT. Most people don't watch video on their phones at all, safe some casual YouTube. But streaming services on the go like Netflix? Not a thing with mass relevance here.

Google apps: the only Google app worthwhile in Germany with mass adoption rates is Google Maps. Though I'm pretty sure nobody gives a flying F if another random preinstalled maps app does the job.

Apple at universities: wow I'm stunned. 500? Windows machines are the norm at German universities.

Again, my point isn't that ecosystems are irrepevant because the average consumer cant define it. It's just that almost any real person and average consumer I know, whether he or she is 20 or 50 of age, isn't at all invested that much in apps as to base his/her phone buying decision on it.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 12:04 PM
    This argument just never goes away, does it? Again and again we hear about how there are so many apps on iOS and Play that are never downloaded; how many people only have a handful of apps on their phones; and now how most people download zero apps per month. None of these things has any relevance to whether "the app situation is overhyped."

Maybe it's best to begin with a question. Just what is "the app situation", as it concerns BB10? In my opinion the answer is this: BB10 users are less likely than iPhone or Android (with Google Services) users to be able to find the apps they want. Why? Because fewer apps are available, and many of the more popular ones are missing. The more popular apps are, by definition, the ones most people want.

Anyone who can't obtain and use an app they want is dealing with "the app situation," whether they have forty apps on their BB10 phone or just four. They're dealing with it if they fail to download an app they want because it's not there, even if they never again try to download another app.

The "app situation" is somewhat alleviated, but not fundamentally changed, by the Amazon App Store.

As long as "the app situation" thus defined afflicts BB10 users more than iPhone or Android users, and perhaps WP users, it's not overhyped.
    Agreed.

I might want to add, that there is quality in quantity, when it comes down to apps.

Apple has what? 1.2 million apps in the App store?

Let's just assume that 90% are pure garbage.
    5% are okayish.
    3% are actually good.
    1% are really good.
    0.5% are awesome.
    0.4% are really awesome.
    0.1% are must haves.
    (yeah I pulled those numbers out of the place where the sun never shines)
    This would leave us with 1.2k must haves worldwide for Apple (still a bit much probably, but I just want to make a certain point).

If we apply the same math to BBW (and it's actually far worse for BBW, but yeah, whatever), which has about 230k apps, then this leaves us with 230 useful apps worldwide, Android apps included.

This is a typical instance, of quantity guaranteeing quality.

Posted via CB10
    unbreakablej likes this.
    08-25-14 12:04 PM
    I've been saying this since BB10 released...there has been no need for a mountain of apps on these phones and the ones people were complaining about not having were so redundant (like instagram) . A bunch of apps that do nothing to promote the functionality of the phone.
    Apps (for the most part) are time wasters and are there solely to dumb down users. While I admit I have installed a number of farts, I've found no need to fill my phone with a bunch of apps I'll never use and there doesn?t seem to be a function I need another app for anymore. Everything is covered by the apps I have and I don't have a great number of apps.

Posted via CB10
    You do not need a mountain of apps but you might need some specialized apps and they are simply not there..users here say that they are professional yet there is not a single business app. If you are a health junkie forget about exercise apps because there isn't any and so on and so forth. That's why we have to carry multiple devices.
    08-25-14 12:26 PM
    Public transportation: no idea, don't know anyone who uses public transportation where I live, since everyone drives cars here. Don't know about bigger cities though. Maybe a simple Android app works for this one? After all urban citizens managed to get from A to B for decades.

Car2Go: no idea what that's good for or what it does, neither do I know anyone who uses it.

Uber: similar to public transportation, but as a niche. Uber is so far from being main stream or a mass service in Germany....

Banking Apps: nobody I know does banking on a phone, we still use computers for it, once a week at most, since most transactions are done completely automatically.

Entertainment: games - BlackBerry has them. Music, radio, Video, all manageable via drag and drop, which is still the most commonly way to consume media in Germany AFAICT. Most people don't watch video on their phones at all, safe some casual YouTube. But streaming services on the go like Netflix? Not a thing with mass relevance here.

Google apps: the only Google app worthwhile in Germany with mass adoption rates is Google Maps. Though I'm pretty sure nobody gives a flying F if another random preinstalled maps app does the job.

Apple at universities: wow I'm stunned. 500? Windows machines are the norm at German universities.

Again, my point isn't that ecosystems are irrepevant because the average consumer cant define it. It's just that almost any real person and average consumer I know, whether he or she is 20 or 50 of age, isn't at all invested that much in apps as to base his/her phone buying decision on it.

Posted via CB10
    Your problem is that you talk about your little anecdotal world (yeah, a Swiss just said it to a German, check that out ) without branching out and looking at some global numbers.
    Apple has a 10% marketshare in the PC sector worldwide and owns about 80% of the 999$+ tier.

Statistically speaking, your experience, with basically knowing nobody with an Apple PC is not the norm. Except for the case that you only know 5 people (which I doubt).

Same goes for public transport.
    A ton of people use them (I hate them, but that's another story alltogether), and having apps that tell you the when, where and where to, are incredibly important nowadays.

The same applies to banking apps.
    A ton of people use them, and if it's not for transferring money, then to know how much they will owe their bank after buying that useless TV they saw in a commercial.

Yeah, people were able to go from a to b before the Nokia N95 already.
    But with GPS in phones, and a good mapping software, our habits and norms have changed.
    If you don't know where to go, you ask Google Maps.
    Except on BB10, because there is no Google Maps app.

Again, I am not debating the absolute need.
    I am merely telling you, that people want that, and expect those things when they buy a phone.

Uber and Car2Go are car sharing services which are starting to get pretty popular around the world.
    Maybe not in your home town, but in tons of other towns.
    And just isn't an app for them on BB.

The stock social media apps on BB10, just plainly suck and there is honestly no defending them. Well apart from: we can have crappy social media apps, or none.
    Nice choice!!!

I studied in 3 different countries: France, Switzerland and Austria. In all of them, having a MacBook was the norm. And certain Universities have had over 8k Students.
    I'd be really surprised if that would be any different in Munich or Berlin for example.
    It's also well-known, that Apple pretty much has the best education apps in their ecosystem.

Now onto your last point:
    We had that already 3 times.

Can you download the most wanted apps on your BlackBerry, that everybody else is able to get?
    No you can't... Well guess what. That's part of the ecosystem.

No acceptable movie or music stores, no BlackBerry branded cloud services, no seamless integration with other hardware etc etc....
    Those are also part of the ecosystem, and as a BB10 user, you are reminded constantly of all the things your OS of choice lacks.
    It's completely irrelevant if you can give a name to that feeling, if you experience it daily.

You said something interesting though.
    According to you, those aren't any real reasons not to buy a BlackBerry.
    What are those reasons for you then?

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and robitaille93 like this.
    08-25-14 12:34 PM
    Now that BlackBerry ? is claiming to concentrate on enterprise apps, I would like to see what these enterprise grade apps are. What will they be? Just catching up to other platforms by producing native apps? Or unique special ones?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 12:38 PM
    Now that BlackBerry ? is claiming to concentrate on enterprise apps, I would like to see what these enterprise grade apps are. What will they be? Just catching up to other platforms by producing native apps? Or unique special ones?

Posted via CB10
    iOS is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo far ahead in terms of enterprise apps.

And when the IBM deal shows its first accomplishments, they'll be even more ahead.

For me, the whole enterprise apps tale from BlackBerry is pure fantasy. But I guess that we will see that soon anyhow.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    08-25-14 12:42 PM
    Your problem is that you talk about your little anecdotal world
    I take this little anecdotal world as evidential for my very personal claim that BlackBerry's app situation isn't a dealbreaker for everyone on the planet and that there does exist a market where BlackBerry phones can still score and where internet tech enthusiasts theories bite the dust. The world guys like you make up are just as anecdotal, only bigger. That's the point.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-25-14 01:29 PM
    iOS is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo far ahead in terms of enterprise apps.

And when the IBM deal shows its first accomplishments, they'll be even more ahead.

For me, the whole enterprise apps tale from BlackBerry is pure fantasy. But I guess that we will see that soon anyhow.

Posted via CB10
    The funny thing is that BlackBerry doesn't even need that tale to be true since the vast majority of business users is perfectly fine with PIM, MS office and PDFs which is perfectly covered by BlackBerry while BB10 trumps the competition in any other stock functionality department with relevance to business use.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 01:32 PM
    The funny thing is that BlackBerry doesn't even need that tale to be true since the vast majority of business users is perfectly fine with PIM, MS office and PDFs which is perfectly covered by BlackBerry while BB10 trumps the competition in any other stock functionality department with relevance to business use.

Posted via CB10
    Haven't the vast majority of business users moved away from Blackberry?

Proudly using a Blackberry Q10!
    robitaille93 likes this.
    08-25-14 01:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but Docs to Go is not MS Office...

And you will find many, many industries where Apple has HIGH QUALITY SPECIALIZED APPS that even Android doesn't have.

What BlackBerry has is a product that can be HIGHLY Managed and within that managed network is very secure.... which is great. If that is what is important to your company.
    TGR1, JeepBB, mornhavon and 1 others like this.
    08-25-14 01:51 PM
    Haven't the vast majority of business users moved away from Blackberry?

Proudly using a Blackberry Q10!
    Of course they did

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 02:13 PM
    And you will find many, many industries where Apple has HIGH QUALITY SPECIALIZED APPS that even Android doesn't have.
    That still doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of business users don't need any specialized apps at all. And even when they do, they mostly use iPads for this and not their phones.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 02:16 PM
    If BBRY is serious about the "Internet of Things" they can't afford to hold the same attitude on apps, if they want to be more than QNX is in the car industry.
    08-25-14 03:36 PM
    Wow this thread escalated quickly. I'm not trying to defend BlackBerry. As I don't think it is their fault that we have few native apps. What I'm trying to say is that, at least for me and apparently some people, apps are not that important. Maybe it is different for other people. It would be good that we have some apps, but it won't be a deal-breaker.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-25-14 04:36 PM
    Wow this thread escalated quickly. I'm not trying to defend BlackBerry. As I don't think it is their fault that we have few native apps. What I'm trying to say is that, at least for me and apparently some people, apps are not that important. Maybe it is different for other people. It would be good that we have some apps, but it won't be a deal-breaker.
    I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. The thing is that camp is very small.

Sent from my N5
    08-25-14 04:45 PM
    The
    Most of the apps I actually used I don't need anymore. BlackBerry 10 is making leaps with every update.
    Flashlight app built in now
    Network usage built in 10.3
    Panorama camera built in 10.3
    Flip to mute/sleep built in 10.3

For example

Posted via CB10
    How is downloading an os update that adds additional functionality different from adding an app that adds additional functionality?
    08-25-14 05:26 PM
    Most smartphone users download zero apps per month | Digital Trends

It?s tough out there for app developers. Not only are the various app stores crammed with hundreds of thousands of titles, with new ones pouring in each week, fresh figures released by ComScore show that nearly two-thirds of smartphone owners in the U.S. download zero apps during a typical month.

Based on the three-month averages calculated by ComScore, 65.5 percent of users didn?t download any apps at all. 8.4 percent of those polled downloaded one app while 8.9 percent downloaded two. Only 2.4 percent of the participants in the survey installed eight apps or more. Overall, just 7 percent of smartphone owners account for nearly half of the download activity.

Related:�One third of smartphone owners in the U.K. don?t care about apps at all

It?s not that smartphone owners don?t like apps, but the big names like Facebook and YouTube hoover up a lot of user time and attention. New apps find it difficult to grab the spotlight and persuade users to add a new icon or two to their home screens ? almost all smartphone owners use apps, the ComScore report says, but 42 percent of all app time is spent in the individual?s most-used app.

Discovering new apps can be a problem for the average user too: Very few new app releases make mainstream news, while the app stores run by Apple, Google and Amazon can be uninspiring to navigate around. It seems as though most of us are sticking with the names and services we know well rather than experimenting with new software on our mobiles.

If you do want some recommendations for great new apps to try out, we?ve got you covered. Check out our huge round-ups of awesome apps for Android, Android tablets, iPhones and iPads.

Read more: Most smartphone users download zero apps per month | Digital Trends
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

What do you guys think?
    That's odd you mentioned overhyped.

BlackBerry doesn't seem to think so ... quite the opposite yet somewhat in agreement.

Consumer apps yes have flooded the market and it's VERY hard for developers to make a dollar. Yet BlackBerry is saying more lucrative business in app development is for the enterprise ... but not solely so ... this could also mean for larger corporations for the M2M/IoT market ... but developers will NEED to research, design much more thoroughly and be ready for hours of support (something they can add as an added revenue stream, established at negotiations before creating such an application.

The other benefit is creating an Application that relies on an infrastructure or a platform in-of-itself. For example create a IoT application to control your car. Think of Knight Rider ... back in the day it was future tech to set an alarm, unlock your doors, heck even start the engine ALL REMOTELY (WOAH mind bloooown! POW!) Today who would buy a brand new car WITHOUT this? Yet ... where is our BB10 native or HTML app (featured on that nice Bentley QNX team worked with) that does all of this? Create such an app but do much more ... have it figure out oil temperature and set in guidances pre saved/loaded for that model car, year make release make and see what is required when and alert the user ... heck even have the engine knock sensor alert the user AND the dealership you BOUGHT it from (email, call, back end db access/listing) ... THAT is a platform ... get in while QNX is doing the rough work.

Another is Amber Alert on RAILS! Have an application that parents can install on their kids BB10 device ... an app that:
    Has their home address,
    Emergency contact numbers
    A modal Alert that pops up when out of a certain range - 2 selections Call/BBM/Video Chat Parent (any available)
    ^ specifically have the application do this!
    * KEY (a platform): have the application not that when not responded in 3mins (with a unique and LOUD notification if dismissed, device power cycled, or powered off, it will AUTO TURN ON the device and in the background contact all pre-defined emergency contacts. If the device travels outside of 30 kms in say what is researched to be a dangers timeline with authorities that it will notify pre-defined emergency contacts PLUS the Amber alert system may the police.
    Have it contact ambulance within a 7mins timeline (modal pop-up to cancel) if extremly rapid, continuous revolutions of rotations and sudden jerking around occurs from the phone itself = think of a kid in an accident (Car, bike, etc)!!
    Have this application via the new API's in 10.3 Beta tap into the existing Amber Alert system ... have the camera's activate on ANY sensitivities of light and upload distance is out of the province/state ... etc etc etc.

THINK DEVELOPERS THINK! This is a LUCRATIVE market and you CAN make a serious difference.

NOTE: 30kms is a FAR walk for a 15yr old or younger I know I've walked 32kms with 10lbs/leg ankle weights in the summer you dont' walk straight the next day trust ME! I walked 15kms in -23 celcius with -32 windchill again far too far).

When I was 6yrs old ... my family before it broke up moved into a completely new hood in North York from downtown Toronto. My pops took me for a bike ride amongst the large park near by and showed me the obvious paved road and trails. He was VERY adamant at teaching N/S/E/W directions and then we set off the second month of summer (this month) across the city ... first just a block then more and more ... asking me to pay attention to the major streets! Then after a short while we'd stop randomly. He'd ask:
    What direction are we facing?
    Which direction is home?
    Ok take us home, you lead, watch out for stop signs and street lights - you know what to do but ... (!)
    I want you to name each main street at least a block BEFORE we get there.
    If I failed he'd correct me.
    Start point: Bathurst and Finch/Steeles Ave West.
    By the end of that summer ... we got as far as Victoria Park and Sheppard. Terrified, I had to lead us back ... but he switched it up, going south on Leslie ... west on York Mills, then North on Yonge, back west on Sheppard ... then the death hill climb ... North on Bathurst from Sheppard Ave West ... then home. It was gruelling ... even cruel. I swear his ears was ringing all that day, that year even daily I hated him that day for it ... a while after but it paid off. I was NEVER LOST, I even FOUND friends back home riding with them when THEY where lost. And the only rule other than never get in trouble is you can go ANYWHERE you WANT just choose your friends carefully and be home before dark.
    Did the same thing with my son ... paid dividends when shopping at the grocery store 2yrs ago and noticed some creepo following us around. I baited my son down one isle just a quarter way to see and creepo was approaching him the opposite was until I showed up and he pretended to stop to pick up an item on the shelf. We went down 5 isles by the freezer and told my son to keep quite ... he was like why? I said "quite i'll tell you in second" while waiting for pedo to show up I was going to scare him, call him out and bang him out (yes pedo was THAT obvious) ... then my son said "oh you mean that crepo that was following us 2 blocks before we got to the grocery store?!"

I was like WHAT?! You paid attention, was alert and knowledgeable of your surroundings this WHOLE time?! Dayum had nothing to say we paid and left - felt VERY proud!!

Moral . parenting is the ultimate key to our kids safety ... but we're busy like heck working, paying bills, everything else ... kids are loosing face time with parents so an application like THIS helps EVERY bit of the way!!

There is an incredible new frontier that has only been tapped by internal enterprise developers up until now.

Developers just a few weeks, or months ago, on the BlackBerry 10 platform where increasingly worried their development time and money were going down the tubes due to the Amazon announcement. Glad those fears have been put to rest.

Like myself, there is a defintely need, craving, preference to choose available BB10 Native (C++/Cascades/Qt) developed applications when available over Android ports/Android applications.

Developers take note 'enterprises are willing to pay significantly for third-party solutions that increase productivity and efficiency'
    source: Study: The Economics of Enterprise App Development | BlackBerry Developer Blog

It's time to begin thinking about applications required for enterprise end users and those that support end users: I.T., Human Resources, and various needs at various industries. Even work to create applications that work in tandem with accessories - not just for the corporate world but also the consumer world as well.
    08-25-14 05:45 PM
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...oNZBXCmEqdykOn

Sixty five percent shunning apps , pretty soon only specialized apps for Enterprise will be money earners.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 05:45 PM
    Everything goes in cycles. A lot of the core functionality of a smartphone is now built into the OS. It's now ecosystem. Look at Google and what it provides (I know, I know.... They're watching our every move). My point is individual apps are becoming less important. The OS handles most everything.

Sent from my N5
    08-25-14 06:17 PM
    Everything goes in cycles. A lot of the core functionality of a smartphone is now built into the OS. It's now ecosystem. Look at Google and what it provides (I know, I know.... They're watching our every move). My point is individual apps are becoming less important. The OS handles most everything.

Sent from my N5
    Not thinking broad enough As more vendors jump on the IOT you will get increasingly more specialized apps that will be desirable for different groups. Developers won't make as much money in established areas but new ones will open up. The potential for apps is huge.

It may even come from unintended sources. I was reading how the Jawbone UP app actually did a pretty decent job of recording the seismic activity of the NorCal quake (unless the wearer was really deeply asleep). Someone might take the tech and expand it to other uses. Have you seen the various gadgets that attach to the headphone jack and collect data? Or to the camera? There is so much cool stuff out there that can be done.
    08-25-14 07:20 PM
195 12345 ...