Have you not learned about the snap to deposit hack? The" need" for this ,for me isn't that great.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't mean that other people don't need it. Anyway it has nothing to do with need, it has to do with want and its something people want that's available elsewhere. That's the whole thing, people don't need apps, they want them.
    21stNow, JeepBB, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    08-24-14 05:13 PM
    And most smartphones are with android... ****ty smartphones which have lags even using menu.
    08-24-14 05:19 PM
    Have you not learned about the snap to deposit hack? The" need" for this ,for me isn't that great.

Posted via CB10
    My point exactly. It's a hack.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 05:23 PM
    And most smartphones are with android... ****ty smartphones which have lags even using menu.
    Your opinion and not what most people feel.

Proudly using a Blackberry Q10!
    BB_Junky, Sayumi Whisp and kbz1960 like this.
    08-24-14 05:41 PM
    Your opinion and not what most people feel.

Proudly using a Blackberry Q10!
    Exactly , you can tell he hasn't used an android phone,mine operates 10 times better than my Z30 or I would still be using it.
    Now back to the original post. I do what most here mentioned... I have a list of must have/need apps that I download when I first set up the phone and buy the odd one later on if it comes up that I need it.
    BBRY and some fan boys here trying to justify their lack of need apps is amusing, granted the Z10 and 30 operate just perfectly with out the need of most apps as the internet browser on the device makes them almost unneeded.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    kbz1960, cman5 and JesseBabe23 like this.
    08-24-14 06:01 PM
    It's not overhyped. Android and Apple devices have apps which control home security systems, car electronics, smart appliances, banking and insurance, school and university transactions... the list goes on. BlackBerry is useless in this department. The only people to whom it's overhyped is diehard BlackBerry users.

I love my Z10, but I'm not blind to its very limited capabilities vs apple and androids. BlackBerry 10 with the capabilities of apple and android, and you'd have the perfect device IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    Most people aren't interested. Only a very very small number even have any idea they can do that. People on here continually assume that the general market cares about this stuff. They don't. For the same reason barely any of the BlackBerry user base install Snap. Or even Amazon till they're forced to.

Posted via CB10
    cman5 likes this.
    08-24-14 06:59 PM

I love my Z10, but I'm not blind to its very limited capabilities vs apple and androids. BlackBerry 10 with the capabilities of apple and android, and you'd have the perfect device IMHO.
    I agree.
    08-24-14 07:15 PM
    Attachment 293133

Posted via CB10
    Off-topic:
    For Bla1ze's head, no cap this time, and make it real cold... :-)

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    MobileZen likes this.
    08-24-14 07:54 PM
    Off-topic:
    For Bla1ze's head, no cap this time, and make it real cold... :-)

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Oh yeah!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 07:59 PM
    I'd like very much to have a BlackBerry version of medscape as well. Android version does not work. I ended up with epocrates because it actually runs. I rarely use medscape but as a medic it was handy as all get out for looking up medications I'm not that familiar with. Sometimes for looking up health condition I'm not familiar with.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 09:32 PM
    I can do it with my banks android app. I realize that doesn't solve the native problem but it does work. It isn't something I need very often.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 09:34 PM
    How many apps people download per month is not a good way to judge the importance of apps. Most people get a new phone, download all of the apps that they want at once, and then use them, only adding an app occasionally as needed - they aren't trying new apps all the time.

But that doesn't mean that those apps that they did download aren't important to them, and when an ecosystem is missing many of those apps, people notice and they choose something else.

I used to install satellite TV service (DirecTV and Dish Network), and while those services offered hundreds of channels, most people typically watched a dozen of them, and sometimes less than that. But here's the thing: at each household, that dozen or so channels that they watched was different than at the next house, or the next. Sometimes, they really only cared about one or two channels, but those channels were super important, and they chose the entire service based on the availability of that one channel. One guy, who lived in a city but was formerly a farmer, only cared about RFD, a farming channel. One lady only cared about her favorite religious channel. Many immigrants only cared about a specific foreign channel. None of those people cared about ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox - the "Google" and "Facebook" and "Instagram" of TV channels, but they all assumed they were included in their package in case they ever decided to watch something there. And the average TV watcher cared nothing for the channels these folks cared about, and probably hadn't even heard of those channels in many cases, but those channels sold the entire service.

BB has a global marketshare of 1-2% between BBOS and BB10, when they once owned about half of the smartphone market. The single biggest reason for this massive loss in marketshare? The lack of an ecosystem (of which apps are the biggest part, but not the only part). So, no, I don't think the app situation is overhyped. Every single day, lots consumers, many of them current or former BB users, choose another platform over BB, not because they don't like the hardware or the OS, but because of BB's poor ecosystem. IMO, it's BB's single biggest issue, more important even then their brand image or lack of advertising. Just because it's an extremely difficult problem to solve (and it is) doesn't mean it's any less critical to BB's situation.
    This is a pretty accurate assessment of the situation. My own usage is not driven so much by the size of an ecosystem, but for the bulk of smartphone users, the quoted post holds true.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-24-14 09:41 PM
    I'd like very much to have a BlackBerry version of medscape as well. Android version does not work. I ended up with epocrates because it actually runs. I rarely use medscape but as a medic it was handy as all get out for looking up medications I'm not that familiar with. Sometimes for looking up health condition I'm not familiar with.

Posted via CB10
    It worked well for me bro! When did the last time you try to install it?
    08-24-14 11:32 PM
    It's not overhyped. Android and Apple devices have apps which control home security systems, car electronics, smart appliances, banking and insurance, school and university transactions... the list goes on. BlackBerry is useless in this department. The only people to whom it's overhyped is diehard BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that what BlackBerry is heading with the internet of things?
    08-24-14 11:33 PM
    How many apps people download per month is not a good way to judge the importance of apps. Most people get a new phone, download all of the apps that they want at once, and then use them, only adding an app occasionally as needed - they aren't trying new apps all the time.

But that doesn't mean that those apps that they did download aren't important to them, and when an ecosystem is missing many of those apps, people notice and they choose something else.

I used to install satellite TV service (DirecTV and Dish Network), and while those services offered hundreds of channels, most people typically watched a dozen of them, and sometimes less than that. But here's the thing: at each household, that dozen or so channels that they watched was different than at the next house, or the next. Sometimes, they really only cared about one or two channels, but those channels were super important, and they chose the entire service based on the availability of that one channel. One guy, who lived in a city but was formerly a farmer, only cared about RFD, a farming channel. One lady only cared about her favorite religious channel. Many immigrants only cared about a specific foreign channel. None of those people cared about ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox - the "Google" and "Facebook" and "Instagram" of TV channels, but they all assumed they were included in their package in case they ever decided to watch something there. And the average TV watcher cared nothing for the channels these folks cared about, and probably hadn't even heard of those channels in many cases, but those channels sold the entire service.

BB has a global marketshare of 1-2% between BBOS and BB10, when they once owned about half of the smartphone market. The single biggest reason for this massive loss in marketshare? The lack of an ecosystem (of which apps are the biggest part, but not the only part). So, no, I don't think the app situation is overhyped. Every single day, lots consumers, many of them current or former BB users, choose another platform over BB, not because they don't like the hardware or the OS, but because of BB's poor ecosystem. IMO, it's BB's single biggest issue, more important even then their brand image or lack of advertising. Just because it's an extremely difficult problem to solve (and it is) doesn't mean it's any less critical to BB's situation.
    Can't agree. By my experience the average consumer has no idea what a "phone ecosystem" is and what the differences between the platforms are. All they know is that "a smartphone has apps". It's indeed brand and product perception what holds poeple back from buying a BlackBerry. "BlackBerry" for the average consumer doesn't belong to the 2-3 known device brands worth buying from (for whatever reason) and that's it. My brother was an iPhone user for years and used many apps. He now happens to complain about certain apps or quality missing in BlackBerry World (he uses a Z10 for a year now), but all in all he's very satisfied and doesn't plan to switch back when his next upgrade is due, mainly because BlackBerry 10 has stock features that outweigh the iPhone's experience, with or without apps.

Oh and concerning BlackBerry's loss of marketshare it's worth noting that the smartphone market was absolutely tiny when RIM had 50% share, it was a niche market. When the iPhone came along it extended the once tiny market to a mass market and the market itself grew by much bigger margins than BlackBerry lost customers. That just came within the years, namely because of bigger more modern devices with easy to use interfaces, not because of "wow that's an ecosystem". Said ecosystem just started to grow cause people preferred iPhones and Androids for other reasons in the first place.

Ecosystem is indeed overhyped, but this "hype" is the very point. This "hype" ignited by opinion leaders forms the perception of the general consumer. And here the circle closes if you look up that "(for whatever reason)" above again.

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails The app situation.. is overhyped-flurry_march2014_apptime.jpg  
    BroncoVAL, cman5 and BKbehave like this.
    08-25-14 02:09 AM
    It's funny, I know many android users and I cannot see lags there, but on my Z10 the hub is often laggy, you can't say that lag problems always on every device on one system.

Wenn du das Weinen verlernt hast, bist du bereits tot (Sayumi Whisp)
    kbz1960 and mornhavon like this.
    08-25-14 02:10 AM
    That doesn't mean that other people don't need it. Anyway it has nothing to do with need, it has to do with want and its something people want that's available elsewhere. That's the whole thing, people don't need apps, they want them.
    Infact nobody needs it, people just happen to want it because it adds some convenience.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 02:11 AM
    Microsoft: Puzzle (Windows, Windows Phone, Outlook.com, OneDrive, Office, Skype, Bing, Windows Store, XBox)
    Google: Puzzle (Chrome [OS], Android, Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Hangouts, Google Search, Google Play)
    Apple: Largely a Puzzle (OSX, iOS, iCloud, iCloud Drive, iWork, iMessage, App Store, iTunes)

Blackberry: Puzzle Piece (BB10, BBM) - everything else has/had to be pieced together.

That's the big difference for me: Convenience. Ease of Use. Cohesiveness. Integration.

App Gap was never that huge of an issue, and I've always said that. It has always been the other pieces of the puzzle that they fail to focus on, that is killing them. That's how other platforms lock their users in. Having so few pieces to the puzzle, and the fact that those other puzzle pieces reside on other platforms as well, is what made it so easy for Blackberry's users to defect.
    grover5 and Galifrey like this.
    08-25-14 05:58 AM
    Can't agree. By my experience the average consumer has no idea what a "phone ecosystem" is and what the differences between the platforms are. All they know is that "a smartphone has apps". It's indeed brand and product perception what holds poeple back from buying a BlackBerry. "BlackBerry" for the average consumer doesn't belong to the 2-3 known device brands worth buying from (for whatever reason) and that's it. My brother was an iPhone user for years and used many apps. He now happens to complain about certain apps or quality missing in BlackBerry World (he uses a Z10 for a year now), but all in all he's very satisfied and doesn't plan to switch back when his next upgrade is due, mainly because BlackBerry 10 has stock features that outweigh the iPhone's experience, with or without apps.

Oh and concerning BlackBerry's loss of marketshare it's worth noting that the smartphone market was absolutely tiny when RIM had 50% share, it was a niche market. When the iPhone came along it extended the once tiny market to a mass market and the market itself grew by much bigger margins than BlackBerry lost customers. That just came within the years, namely because of bigger more modern devices with easy to use interfaces, not because of "wow that's an ecosystem". Said ecosystem just started to grow cause people preferred iPhones and Androids for other reasons in the first place.

Ecosystem is indeed overhyped, but this "hype" is the very point. This "hype" ignited by opinion leaders forms the perception of the general consumer. And here the circle closes if you look up that "(for whatever reason)" above again.

Posted via CB10
    They don't need to know what an ecosystem is.

They just need to see the benefits of usability in a homogeneous set of services vs. what Blackberry offers on their devices; which is anything but, cause they don't offer enough services to be on par with those platforms.

This is especially a bad deficiency for Blackberry, because their platform is newer than the rest and they're at the position where they actually need to get people to switch from Android, iOS, or Winodws Phone to their platform. So, those users will notice - very quickly - the differences in user experience as it pertains to services and service integration. The difference is stark. Those other platforms do all the work for you (services integrated, apps preloaded if any are even needed) while Blackberry requires the user to do a lot of work finding services that work decently with and on that platform instead.
    08-25-14 06:03 AM
    @N8ter:

I usually think that your posts are slightly biased against BlackBerry, but you really nailed it with this post.

Who cares if the consumer is able to define what an ecosystem is, as long as he sees the added benefit of not buying a BlackBerry.
    As long as he understands that everything will be simpler and easier to achieve, on an iOS/Android phone, who cares if they can explain us, what an ecosystem is.

I totally agree with you.

Infact nobody needs it, people just happen to want it because it adds some convenience.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, there are numerous business sectors where apps boost the efficiency.

In this case, I define efficiency as the option which saves the most time, while generating the highest amount of money, with opportunity costs factored in.
    Opportunity costs, that would arise via another method. The cost can be money and/or time.

So yeah, there are people/sectors who definitely need an app.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, mornhavon, cman5 and 2 others like this.
    08-25-14 06:52 AM
    That I also agree. Maybe BlackBerry need to give incentives to certain app developers to create some essential apps, that people need the most.
    A developer needs only to read this thread to tell him how successful his/her app would be. The survey results are bad enough but the constant chorus of people saying BB doesn't need them and users wouldn't use them is enough to make any developer move on and ignore any incentive.

Some of us were around when the argument was do cell phones need cameras, do people really want virtual keyboards? Now it's do people really use apps. I'm wondering how much more market share BB needs to lose for people to stop questioning what the market is telling them.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-25-14 07:47 AM
    @N8ter:

I usually think that your posts are slightly biased against BlackBerry, but you really nailed it with this post.

Who cares if the consumer is able to define what an ecosystem is, as long as he sees the added benefit of not buying a BlackBerry.
    As long as he understands that everything will be simpler and easier to achieve, on an iOS/Android phone, who cares if they can explain us, what an ecosystem is.

I totally agree with you.

Actually, there are numerous business sectors where apps boost the efficiency.

In this case, I define efficiency as the option which saves the most time, while generating the highest amount of money, with opportunity costs factored in.
    Opportunity costs, that would arise via another method. The cost can be money and/or time.

So yeah, there are people/sectors who definitely need an app.

Posted via CB10
    My point is that averge people doesn't have ecosystems on their radar when they purchase a phone, so whether they can define the term or not wasn't my point. Meaning an interesting BlackBerry device doesn't get disnissed by the average consumer just because it has "no ecosystem".

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 07:58 AM
    A developer needs only to read this thread to tell him how successful his/her app would be. The survey results are bad enough but the constant chorus of people saying BB doesn't need them and users wouldn't use them is enough to make any developer move on and ignore any incentive.

Some of us were around when the argument was do cell phones need cameras, do people really want virtual keyboards? Now it's do people really use apps. I'm wondering how much more market share BB needs to lose for people to stop questioning what the market is telling them.

Posted via CrackBerry App

I think that too many people in here are just delusional in their assessments.

BlackBerry has a sub 1% marketshare and some users in here still debate the needs for apps and an ecosystem.
    It's ridiculous.

What's just completely otherworldly, are the users who believe that the Classic will be a huge success/saviour.

1) Most people had enough of physical keyboards and small screens.

2) An endless amount of people have been burnt because of BBOS and Won't ever touch another BlackBerry again.

3) The Classic won't entice a lot of legacy customers because the gros of them never really liked it to begin with.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon, JeepBB and Mr.Willie like this.
    08-25-14 08:06 AM
    My point is that averge people doesn't have ecosystems on their radar when they purchase a phone, so whether they can define the term or not wasn't my point. Meaning an interesting BlackBerry device doesn't get disnissed by the average consumer just because it has "no ecosystem".

Posted via CB10
    I would repeat what N8ter already said....

Can I use Google services on my BlackBerry?
    I can't?

A lot of users want them though and as long as you use a BlackBerry, you won't have access to the Google services.

The consumer understands that.
    If he can define an ecosystem or not, is irrelevant here.

Posted via CB10
    Also...
    That was you point. You said nobody needs it.

Apart from that, if we want to start a discussion about what the human truly needs and what not, I guess that we will get nowhere.
    We long passed the stage, where the deciding factor was what the human needs.
    The whole capitalistic system lives from humans wanting something.

So the argument is kind of silly tbh.
    Posted via CB10
    anon8656116, mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    08-25-14 08:09 AM
    This idea that BlackBerry doesn't need apps is sooo overhyped (again, and again, and again).

Is the app situation the only issue... no. Hardware Specs, Pricing, Marketing, Brand reputation... they all contribute in their own way to BlackBerry's current situation. But yes the lack of a full easy to use ecosystem has hurt BlackBerry! Yes we do need Apps... maybe not a billion of them, but some pretty basic ones like Instagram, or the latest fad game.

I'm probable going to have to downgrade my daughters phone, just because Instagram is acting up on 10.2.0.1052. I'll think I finally got it where it doesn't crash too often, but I guess she can't upload videos now. Yes there are SOME Apps that are very important... to SOME people.
    mornhavon, ubizmo, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    08-25-14 09:52 AM
195 1234 ...