BlackBerry devices are generally considered very secure and I have read numerous times that an ant-virus is not required for BlackBerrys (especially the legacy devices) because they were essentially virus-proof. But yesterday my BlackBerry 9900 running OS 7.1 spontaneously picked up a problem out of no where. I will describe the problem in a list form so that it's easier to read:

*There is a "loading screen" on my BlackBerry that doesn't go away no matter what. This loading doesn't represent the hourglass because sometimes the hourglass appears on top of it.
    * Almost ALL functionality of my device is gone. The touchscreen has been almost completely disabled, the trackpad only works on a few screens. The only buttons that work are the back button (sometimes), the Call Button, the End Call Button, and the BlackBerry Button (sometimes).
    * When I hold down the BlackBerry button, the multitasking screen appears and there is an interesting "app" called "BlackBerry App Advisor" that appeared out of no where. I never downloaded it. I think that's the root of the problem.
    * I trackpad rarely works, and I am basically "locked out" of my device.
    * I can't even access the settings so that I can check my list of installed apps, I can't really do anything.
    * I removed the battery and when I put it back in and turned it on, the problem was still there.
    * I then decided to just leave the phone like that overnight and see if it's still there in the morning, and it was still there.
    * My phone is so screwed up that I can't even take screen shots, so I have inserted pictures I took with another camera below:

App has taken over my BlackBerry, please help!-img_20131231_155143.jpg

App has taken over my BlackBerry, please help!-img_20131231_155158.jpg

App has taken over my BlackBerry, please help!-img_20131231_155214.jpg

Now, here's what I think led to this problem: Last week I installed a PDF app from BlackBerry World on my device. I noticed that whenever I rebooted, "BlackBerry app advisor" would be open. Upon going clicking on "BlackBerry app advisor" from the multitasking screen, the PDF app would open. I would then close the app and everything would be normal. Last night I uninstalled the app and when I rebooted the problem was there. Therefore, I have every reason to hold that app responsible.

Anyway, here's some possible solutions:
    *Connect the device to a PC, and use BBSAK to manually remove the .cod file causing this. But I'm not sure how safe that is, and besides; how will I identify what .cod is responsible?
    * I can't wipe the device from the settings screen because I can't access it. But, if I select wipe device from the BlackBerry protect website, that should do a factory reset and everything will be fixed, right?

But I really don't want to do a factory reset as restoring all the apps and data is a pain.

Alright guys, what do you think? Anyone ever heard of a BlackBerry Virus before? I haven't. Any solutions?
    12-31-13 04:17 PM
    Turn all radios off, then turn off the phone, battery pull and restart. Do not reactivate radios. Look for installed apps and uninstall all those you do not trust!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    12-31-13 04:25 PM
    UPDATE: I just looked at every single .cod in my phone using BBSAK. I couldn't identify a particular COD. Now what? That's one possible solution down.
    There is no known BlackBerry virus as of this date AFAIK.
    I also have read nothing that indicates a virus is present on your 9900.
    Your OS seems to be acting funky, that's all.

Wipe your device via BB Protect or DTM and do a selective restore of your most important info.
    Doing a blind full restore of everything may re-introduce the issue.
    Download all of your needed apps again fresh from AppWorld.
    Your device will be like brand new!
    Turn all radios off, then turn off the phone, battery pull and restart. Do not reactivate radios. Look for installed apps and uninstall all those you do not trust!

But I can't do ANYTHING with my device. It's completely locked up. The trackpad and touch screen are practically useless now.
    12-31-13 04:26 PM
    But I can't do ANYTHING with my device. It's completely locked up. The trackpad and touch screen are practically useless now.
    Battery pull? If that doesn't help try reloading the latest OS after wiping the device.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    12-31-13 04:31 PM
    Reload the BlackBerry Device Software using the BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Bold Series - 7.0
    12-31-13 04:32 PM
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to wipe the device or force reinstall the OS. Battery pulls aren't doing anything.
    12-31-13 04:34 PM
    Have you tried to remove battery for longer time, say 1.5-2h? I know it sounds a bit silly... but it might help!?

12-31-13 04:36 PM
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to wipe the device or force reinstall the OS. Battery pulls aren't doing anything.
    Sorry. But that is the only recourse if you adamantly state that you cannot access your device to do anything at all.
    BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com
    12-31-13 04:37 PM
    It doesn't sound like a virus, but rather a rogue app that is using up all of your CPU cycles. The best advice would be to painstakingly remove apps one by one, or perform a full restore (can you do that with BBSAK without using the device?)
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-31-13 04:38 PM
    Did you install any apps from Jared Co?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    12-31-13 05:08 PM
    Virus? What makes you think it's a virus? I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 05:28 PM
    Doubt it's a virus but more of an app that is hogging resources. Reload the OS if you can't solve it, and or use this as an excuse to graphics a z30/q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 05:29 PM
    Aren't you the kid who bought this off eBay with the locked PIN?
    habs_fan and stlabrat like this.
    12-31-13 05:31 PM
    Wow that IS a first. I have to agree that it isn't a virus but it sounds like resources are low. I've had to restore using the bricked method and BBSAK.

That would be a PITA. When resources are that low, the phone is useless.
    12-31-13 05:34 PM
    Yeah I returned that one and got a different device. This 9900 runs BBM and everything perfectly. Until now that everything is stuck!
    12-31-13 07:04 PM
    The problem is that I can't access the settings screen, so I can't wipe the device the usual way. However, I gave the "wipe device" command from the BlackBerry protect website. Hopefully that should force a factory reset. I dont know how to reload the OS, so I'll see if a reset can do anything.
    12-31-13 07:07 PM
    Ignore what I said..

I'm qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry and because I am the Black Squircle Samurai!
    12-31-13 07:12 PM
    Also, BlackBerry resource manager automatically takes down persistent processes like this that take up battery and cause problems. But surprisingly NOTHING can get my problem to stop. That's why I suspected it to be a virus. Because third party applications don't have the ability to completely shut down the touchscreen and track pad, disable ALL functionality, especially after shutting down the app.
    12-31-13 07:13 PM
    Error 507
    Reload Software
    For further information, please visit:
    www.blackberry.com/507

That's the error message my device is giving me. It won't boot up no matter what. It's just a black screen with that error message and I can't get the device to do anything else. This has to be a virus, what could else could single-handily screw up my phone that much?
    12-31-13 10:41 PM
    12-31-13 10:46 PM
    Sounds like malware, not a virus. Technically a virus would spread to other devices or to your contacts and try to propagate. This is just some bad coded app/process, or incompatible with your OS. You should be able to find and kill it using a BlackBerry task manager and process viewer or killer.

I remember having the same problem and downloading a free process manager or killer (time limited trial) and was able to remove the offending "cod" file and process. It was good enough to fix my phone and when the trial expired I deleted it, but it already helped me out.

Sounds like the malware app is loading at boot and hogging resources to the point it is interfering with normal function.

If that doesn't work, backup your phone data and restore using the computer BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Just be sure not to restore that app.
    12-31-13 10:52 PM
    For error 507, reload your software from the computer. It has happened to me on my old Curve a few times... Nothing to do with a virus, just the old BlackBerry java-based OS getting corrupted. Look in the forums... Lots of tips on doing it. I remember you have to plug it into your computer at a certain point in the boot and attempt multiple times until it works. Eventually you will unbrick the device. Good luck!
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-31-13 10:57 PM
    Error 507
    Reload Software
    For further information, please visit:
    www.blackberry.com/507

That's the error message my device is giving me. It won't boot up no matter what. It's just a black screen with that error message and I can't get the device to do anything else. This has to be a virus, what could else could single-handily screw up my phone that much?
    This is the error message you should get when you wipe the device, and if you don't get this error, then you did something wrong.
    Now download the latest OS, install it on your PC, remove all vendor files using a program called vendelete, download it from the Internet. Now open BBSAK or BlackBerry Desktop Manager and you will be notified of an update which u installed on your PC.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    12-31-13 11:02 PM
51 123