So a friend of mine who's a developer for mobile apps and vendor platforms keeps telling me he won't do Blackberry apps because RIM is charging ridiculously high costs for a Vendor start-up and requiring many other conditions making it difficult for developers to join. I have no idea what he's talking about but it's his main reason for not creating stuff for Blackberry platforms. Is this a common issue or can anyone shed some more light on how difficult it is to become a vendor in App Wolrd?
    09-03-12 02:57 PM
    RIM no longer charges anything to become a vendor, it usually doesn't take too long to make your vendor account. However, those were just my experiences.
    I would say, longest wait time (to get a response from them) is 48 hours.
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 09-03-12 at 03:28 PM.
    09-03-12 03:07 PM
    Tell your friend his information is outdated took me around a week to get my Vendor Account all setup (but this might be because, for whatever reason, RIM were not getting my emails) and didn't cost a penny. I'm pretty sure Signing Keys used to cost, but they're free now, too.
    09-03-12 03:11 PM
    There is no cost associated with becoming an App World vendor. It's free to register as a developer, costs nothing to download SDKs and there is absolutely no charge for submitting apps to App World.

You do have to sign the Software Development Licensing Agreement but there are no onerous or unusual conditions attached to this contract. For example you have to properly identify yourself, agree to honour intellectual property rights and you have to agree that RIM makes the final decision as to whether your app is acceptable for posting for sale in App World.

Just to make it clear for your friend, did I mention that there are no financial barriers to becoming a BB developer? It's free.

Here is a link to the site where you can read the details and sign up:
    https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/appworld
    09-03-12 03:13 PM
    It used to be very cost prohibitive to do Blackberry development, but you can get your signing keys for free now. The tools are open source, so no cash for those either.

It's much better than it used to be.
    09-03-12 03:19 PM
    As Alec Saunders would say: "Another myth busted"

Si.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    09-03-12 03:23 PM
    So a friend of mine who's a developer for mobile apps and vendor platforms keeps telling me he won't do Blackberry apps because RIM is charging ridiculously high costs for a Vendor start-up and requiring many other conditions making it difficult for developers to join. I have no idea what he's talking about but it's his main reason for not creating stuff for Blackberry platforms. Is this a common issue or can anyone shed some more light on how difficult it is to become a vendor in App Wolrd?
    https://developer.blackberry.com/platforms/

Send your friend to this page
    or have him tweet @BlackBerryDev he'll find out how easy it is to get started
    09-03-12 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD