I'm not sure if this is the correct forum so feel free to move.

I am thinking of getting a broadband mobile hotspot and have a few questions.

1) Is anyone here using one, if so whose do you?

2) How does the connection differ from my cell phone connection?

3) If I am getting poor reception on my BB 9700 with T-Mobile will I get poor hotspot reception?

4) Will it be any different then tethering my 9700 with my PlayBook?

I can get a hotspot from T-Mobile for $80 with a 2 year contract and 2gb a month for $32.

TIA
    05-14-11 08:57 AM
    I'm not an expert on T-Mobile USA however won't your BB 9700 connect via UMA? T-Mobile USA is a UMA supporting carrier and UMA doesn't cost the same as the hotspot?

Perhaps look into setting up UMA before you commit to the outgoings of the hotspot device.
    05-14-11 09:48 AM
    Uma would only help the 9700 on calls. Would have no impact on the reception.

Chances are if you have poor network coverage on your device, you will have the same problem with the hotspot, as it uses the same network...

What devices are you planning on using? If it's just your bb and a pb, you are better off just tethering... No use paying more to accheive the same thing... If you wanted to run those two, + an itouch and a laptop, then I would consider the hotspot..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 09:54 AM
    Uma would only help the 9700 on calls. Would have no impact on the reception.
    If you connect to the Network via UMA then it replaces the mobile network connection between the phone and the NOC so the mobile reception then become irrelevant as that part is superseded via the Wi-Fi UMA connection.
    05-14-11 10:21 AM
    If you connect to the Network via UMA then it replaces the mobile network connection between the phone and the NOC so the mobile reception then become irrelevant as that part is superseded via the Wi-Fi UMA connection.
    Correct

But this wouldn't help the OP with the question about a hotspot. If there is a wifi connection available, then he would not need to teather the pb, , nor would he need the hotspot, as all the devices could browse over wifi...

05-14-11 10:50 AM
    If you are getting poor reception why not try a cell phone booster kit, which is really just a miniature repeater for your home?
    05-14-11 11:03 AM
    Two different TMO sales reps and one Best Buy salesman told me that a hotspot connection is better than the cell phone because it's just accessing the date connection whereas the BB is accessing both the data and voice.

This is why I am trying to find others who are using one of these devices. Hoping to get some firsthand experience.

I'm looking to use it with my PlayBook, BB 9700 (for more UMA calling), my wifes laptop when traveling and her iPhone. There are a number of places here that "offer" free WiFi but the signal at some is poor at best.
    05-14-11 11:49 AM
    In that case, it sounds like a good idea...

05-14-11 11:51 AM
    Which device did you purchase and did it work well?
    06-15-11 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD