I have seen some people get the aftermarket GPS apps to work on there Verizon 8330 phones. I have no clue how you guys get this to work. Some people say that you cant run any GPS programs on the phones except for there VZ Nav or BB Maps. Has anyone had any luck with this. Some people say to start BB Maps in the backround and it will work when you open amAze but I cant get it to work. Please send any info you have because I am getting frustrated with these apps and with Verizon. Ready to switch Carriers because Verizon sucks and seems to be locking everything down to just them!!!
    01-02-09 12:43 PM
    I have the 8330 on Verizon. Just turn your GPS to location, then fire up BB maps, and enjoy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 02:00 PM
    wetwilly is correct, assuming you are running OS4.5. If not, you'll need to download and install OS4.5. There's a stickie at the top of the 83xx forum that will give you the latest version.
    01-02-09 02:12 PM
    You will need OS 4.5 (that's what I have read).
    01-05-09 08:24 AM
    Yes, but even with the latest OS GPS will only work with BB maps.

At least thats my experience.
    01-06-09 02:35 PM
    According to the answer I just got from amAzeGPS admin on their forums, the problem with this specific program has to do with the signature of the application, in other words it's a programming issue with amAzeGPS. The admin said they hope to have a fix soon.

Verizon has NOT locked the GPS to only be used with VZNavigator and BB Maps. That use to be the case, but not anymore. If the only 3rd party application you have tried is amAzeGPS, the problem is with the program itself.

Nav4All is another freeware GPS Navigation program and it works fine...at least on the Storm. It's a bit more minimalistic, but it does the job, at least until amAzeGPS gets fixed.

Google Maps works on the Storm, but you cannot get a GPS fix as of this point. Again, the problem is not with Verizon locking the GPS, it's with Google Maps not being ported for the Storm yet. Again, Google said they are working on it.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
    01-09-09 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD