iPhone OS pretty much set the standard of what an OS "looks like" on the home screen. Apple has even sued Samsung for riding the look. Rows of icons that have dots at the bottom indicating page numbers swiped across the screen for navigation of "Apps" with phone carrier, battery, time, other info, etc in the top bar. If in that respect the LOOK of iOS home screen and navigation is what is being "ripped off", then yes it is very uncreative in that respect. Maybe Apple won't bother to sue them like they did Samsung for doing the same thing. I would have liked to seen BB come up with their own navigation ideas and home screen layout. From there however I believe the entire OS is a ground up build and doesn't actually resemble iOS sandbox.

I would have GREATLY appreciated them making it look like it's own BlackBerry design instead of the industry standard iOS style navigation and home screen. It's a boring layout and now one that is 5+ years old. I didn't leave 6 years of iPhone ownership to come over and imitate the iOS look on a device with half the resale of an iDevice and not even a useable percentage of apps in comparison. I came over to BB and bought a 9900 because it was the most unique phone on the market compared to everything else out there from it's navigation to it's look and home screen. The integration and usability is unmatched. It is not like any of the android/idevice phones and their "all looks the same" boring navigation and where every single app seems to intentionally work against the other one independently. Now they want to put a full touch screen device out with the exact same navigation look....... disappointing. I hope they work on the navigation before it's final release. I have no doubt it will be a superior OS.
    This is jut my opinion, have no intention to flame you or bashing apple products
    @ the bold sentence. The app grid and icon navigation in previous bb till bb7 have come a long way. How would you like bb10 to arrange their app on the home screen? I find it ridiculous to say apple being ripped off for the app grid. Slap bb app grid in the os i feel it's exactly the same with bigger icons, dont you agree?
    10-08-12 11:21 PM
    At the end of the day what matters is how much you can do with your device. Leave the rip off dilemma to the lawyers.
    Masahiro and Balti43 like this.
    10-08-12 11:22 PM
    This is jut my opinion, have no intention to flame you or bashing apple products
    @ the bold sentence. The app grid and icon navigation in previous bb till bb7 have come a long way. How would you like bb10 to arrange their app on the home screen? I find it ridiculous to say apple being ripped off for the app grid. Slap bb app grid in the os i feel it's exactly the same with bigger icons, dont you agree?
    no
    10-09-12 12:20 AM
    i don't think RIM is ripping anyone off, but often times i see the bezel on the iphone and cant help to think it would work better than on the leaked L series pics. but im sure RIM will make it work flawlessly
    10-09-12 12:58 AM
    is it the true multitasking, the hub and peek, the bevel gestures, the flick up virtual keyboard or the camera that let's you go forward or backwards in time to get a good smile for each individual in a picture that is ripping off iOS??? *facepalm*
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-09-12 06:54 AM
    iPhone5 is a joke. The joke is also on the ifans who are to stupid to wake up. The biggest joke are the ifans who post on a blackberry fan site trying to pretend their are bb fans. Another joke is how the ifans never want to debate an article pointing out valid reasons of why the
    The iphone5 is a joke. Purple pictures? You are aiming it wrong. Apple is a joke for the jokers of the world.
    Im a Blackberry fan and I can promise u that that article is a complete joke smh

U really shouldn't call people stupid for picking up the smartphone of their choice...
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    10-09-12 07:37 AM
    As far as the article, I don't see much of anything to suggest that it's ripping off IOS. Are we talking the looks or a specific feature? OP should clarify more of what they're talking about.
    10-09-12 07:39 AM
    The App launcher is similar, obviously. However, I like these subtle differences,
    • Swiping to a new page of apps still displays prior page apps, in a transparent, flowing away effect
    • Quickly swiping through pages is possible by swiping along the little page indicators
    • Peek to reveal notifications, swipe right to enter BB Hub

The minimized apps are reminiscent of Windows Phone Live Tiles.

The most obvious borrowing of concepts is from the "swipey-ness" of the Nokia N9.
    10-09-12 03:08 PM
    iPhone OS pretty much set the standard of what an OS "looks like" on the home screen. Apple has even sued Samsung for riding the look. Rows of icons that have dots at the bottom indicating page numbers swiped across the screen for navigation of "Apps" with phone carrier, battery, time, other info, etc in the top bar. If in that respect the LOOK of iOS home screen and navigation is what is being "ripped off", then yes it is very uncreative in that respect. Maybe Apple won't bother to sue them like they did Samsung for doing the same thing. I would have liked to seen BB come up with their own navigation ideas and home screen layout. From there however I believe the entire OS is a ground up build and doesn't actually resemble iOS sandbox.

I would have GREATLY appreciated them making it look like it's own BlackBerry design instead of the industry standard iOS style navigation and home screen. It's a boring layout and now one that is 5+ years old. I didn't leave 6 years of iPhone ownership to come over and imitate the iOS look on a device with half the resale of an iDevice and not even a useable percentage of apps in comparison. I came over to BB and bought a 9900 because it was the most unique phone on the market compared to everything else out there from it's navigation to it's look and home screen. The integration and usability is unmatched. It is not like any of the android/idevice phones and their "all looks the same" boring navigation and where every single app seems to intentionally work against the other one independently. Now they want to put a full touch screen device out with the exact same navigation look....... disappointing. I hope they work on the navigation before it's final release. I have no doubt it will be a superior OS.
    Lets not kid our self here folks. Lets not forget how had the OS layout first.

julianrt and TRlPPlN like this.
    10-09-12 03:49 PM

http://rebecca-reeve.com/constant-connectivity/pic1.png
    It sure wasn't Blackberry. But it wasn't Apple either.
    10-09-12 04:04 PM
    It sure wasn't Blackberry. But it wasn't Apple either.
    Come on Mike.... Give us some of your wisdom.
    10-09-12 04:05 PM
    Come on Mike.... Give us some of your wisdom.
    Well, there's great debate over who started it all. But needless to say it was 40+ years ago.
    Just to whet your appetite, here are some who did it before RIM:

Attachment 122671
    Attachment 122672
    10-09-12 04:11 PM
    @mike good one but those are from 2003.

How about 1999.

Also I still have the Palm 125.
    10-09-12 04:22 PM

How about 1999.

http://cdn.crackberry.com/files/u3/e...ckBerry850.jpg

Attachment 122673

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here exactly...are you attempting to hopelessly prove that RIM somehow invented the icon grid UI?
    10-09-12 04:29 PM

How about 1999.

http://cdn.crackberry.com/files/u3/e...ckBerry850.jpg

No, Mike's got a point. IIRC, the icon grid actually goes all the way back to the Newton.

This whole discussion is a distraction, though. It's hard to envision an better model for app navigation, such as it is. Let's call that the least original part of BB10.

There ARE features in BB10 that are original and even exciting. Peek is great, as is the "live frames" feature, which I'd liken to the side-scrolling app manager on the Playbook. These are genuine usability enhancements, but they're almost impossible to describe verbally. I'm not even sure a user would "get" just how important they are from watching; people will have to use it to see the benefits.

That may be RIM's biggest challenge with BB10.
    mikeo007 and RoseBud68 like this.
    10-09-12 04:40 PM
    No, Mike's got a point. IIRC, the icon grid actually goes all the way back to the Newton.

This whole discussion is a distraction, though. It's hard to envision an better model for app navigation, such as it is. Let's call that the least original part of BB10.

There ARE features in BB10 that are original and even exciting. Peek is great, as is the "live frames" feature, which I'd liken to the side-scrolling app manager on the Playbook. These are genuine usability enhancements, but they're almost impossible to describe verbally. I'm not even sure a user would "get" just how important they are from watching; people will have to use it to see the benefits.

That may be RIM's biggest challenge with BB10.
    To add to your argument (as a partial counterpoint) look at the original iPhone. There were a few unique innovations, but a lot of it had been done before. So why was it so popular? Because Apple polished and perfected many of those UI elements. They didn't invent them, but they made them work well. BB10 is in a position to do the same thing. People still have complaints about their phones, no matter which brand. BB10 could capitalize on its "copied" elements as well by perfecting them, or evolving them. With every post I make about BB10, I add the disclaimer that this is a tall order for RIM, but far from impossible.
    10-09-12 04:55 PM
    To add to your argument (as a partial counterpoint) look at the original iPhone. There were a few unique innovations, but a lot of it had been done before. So why was it so popular? Because Apple polished and perfected many of those UI elements. They didn't invent them, but they made them work well. BB10 is in a position to do the same thing. People still have complaints about their phones, no matter which brand. BB10 could capitalize on its "copied" elements as well by perfecting them, or evolving them. With every post I make about BB10, I add the disclaimer that this is a tall order for RIM, but far from impossible.
    Sure. That's all fair, and I agree. I'm fortunate enough to speak from the experience of getting to handle a Dev Alpha, and actually seeing the usability that came with the update a couple of weeks ago. I agree that the kind of new experience they're aiming for is a tall order, but I think they're actually succeeding.
    10-09-12 05:01 PM
    iPhone5 is a joke. The joke is also on the ifans who are to stupid to wake up. The biggest joke are the ifans who post on a blackberry fan site trying to pretend their are bb fans. Another joke is how the ifans never want to debate an article pointing out valid reasons of why the
    The iphone5 is a joke. Purple pictures? You are aiming it wrong. Apple is a joke for the jokers of the world.
    What is a joke is guys who've been around the forum for a few months telling member that have been here since the beginning that they are an "ifan". It is also a joke to dismiss the iPhone, especially with stupid lists like that which are complete bs. I am a huge RIM supporter but realize that Apple makes quality products that shouldn't be dismissed as jokes because they have overtaken what was once RIM's.
    10-09-12 05:14 PM

http://rebecca-reeve.com/constant-connectivity/pic1.png
    Layout is irrelevant without multitouch gestures. I repeated navigation several times hoping it would be picked up on. This entire setup is navigation as a whole
    10-09-12 09:12 PM
    I don't. Think it is but i would have had them do something to make them stand out a little more but also keep the innovation that rim is known for
    10-09-12 11:38 PM
    To say that iOS set the look and feel of the homescreen is to do a disservice to the originators of the smartphone: Palm and Handspring. Remember them? BlackBerry took that concept to another level. Apple took that to another level. Android is trying to take it to another level. Hopefully BlackBerry will take it to another level yet. This is incremental progress, not "ripping" something off. Without companies pushing each other forward, there would be no progress and we consumers would be stuck with mediocre products.
    donnation likes this.
    10-10-12 12:46 AM
46 12