is anyone else surprised that windows or android companies more so havent come out with a premium qwerty android device just to snag those stragglers on bbos7 & below and try to convert bb10 qwerty users? i know its a very small market but itd be an easy extra 10million at least maybe even 50 million if the phone was nice enough.

correct me if im wrong but ive only seen rubbish low budget android qwerties running 2.0 which isnt surprising that theyve failed in the past
    04-08-14 05:31 PM
    because they're in the camp of believing in the future of keyboard-free devices.
    FrankIAm, Q10Bold and yuvaraki like this.
    04-08-14 05:37 PM
    Probably the highest end QWERTY Android I've seen was the Motorola Admiral, and it wasn't what I'd call a rousing success. It was 2.3 at release, but just couldn't make headway. Some of the cheaper landscape sliders have met with lukewarm success, as well. It just isn't their strong suit.
    Laura Knotek and Jrox74 like this.
    04-08-14 05:39 PM
    Blackberry owns so many patents that if a competitor did release a keyboard the design would be an abomination.
    neo158 likes this.
    04-08-14 05:39 PM
    And next you'll suggest Tim Horton's should make a chicken burger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CB Forums mobile app
    04-08-14 05:45 PM
    The Android ones are the slide-out version but not popular having early 4.x OS. I don't even know if a current OS version exists in the States. And up to date spec version just wouldn't sell.
    04-08-14 05:45 PM
    The one and only candy version, which was the HTC Cha Cha (touted as the FaceBook smartphone) was a real flop. I've used it on a friend's... And the user experience was sub par.
    04-08-14 05:54 PM
    Nokia had those somewhat successful physical keyboard devices a few years ago, like E71. (I hope I remembered that model number correctly.)
    They were Symbian devices, IIRC. A bit surprised they haven't made a WP in similar form factor since they already know how to build it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-08-14 06:00 PM
    I'm not surprised. There were several Android phones that were high-end at launch (or close to it) that came out in 2010 and 2011. The Captivate Glide, the Epic 4G, the regular DROID series, the HTC 4G Slide are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Most didn't do to well.

As for Windows, I don't think that a keyboard phone would fit with the OS that well. The tiles invite touching. At best, they may try a slider keyboard. However, that would require the homescreens to rotate. Microsoft just figured out screen rotation lock within the last year. Rotating homescreens may take them another five years to figure out!

I think your demand numbers are high, though. I'd guess that 10 million users would be the upper end of highly hopeful numbers. Getting 50 million to try it is really dreaming, even considering possible worldwide demand.
    04-08-14 06:05 PM
    Not surprised, really. And I think that's because they know there's not enough of a market for one

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    04-08-14 06:08 PM
    I had a Motorola Droid Pro before I got my Z10. I got it specifically because of the keyboard. Most everyone thought it was a BlackBerry. After using the virtual keyboard on the Z10 and now the Z30, don't think I'll ever go back to a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 06:24 PM
    I'm not surprised at all. The wave has been to go for bigger touch screen devices. I think it is safe to say that the segment of the population that wants a physical keyboard is small enough to be ignored by some manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 06:30 PM
    is anyone else surprised that windows or android companies more so havent come out with a premium qwerty android device just to snag those stragglers on bbos7 & below and try to convert bb10 qwerty users? i know its a very small market but itd be an easy extra 10million at least maybe even 50 million if the phone was nice enough.

correct me if im wrong but ive only seen rubbish low budget android qwerties running 2.0 which isnt surprising that theyve failed in the past
    They want more sales than focusing on keyboard lovers.
    04-08-14 07:44 PM
    Nokia had those somewhat successful physical keyboard devices a few years ago, like E71. (I hope I remembered that model number correctly.)
    They were Symbian devices, IIRC. A bit surprised they haven't made a WP in similar form factor since they already know how to build it.
    God that was a great phone. That had the best keyboard I'd ever used at the time. The keys were so nice and big and had such a great feel to them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-08-14 07:44 PM
    And next you'll suggest Tim Horton's should make a chicken burger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CB Forums mobile app
    Make that one crispy chicken sandwich please.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-08-14 07:49 PM
    I thought Nokia would push something out with a keyboard but given the size of that Windows UI, it would have to be a slider or else be a long-*** portrait with a 4 inch screen. In fairness, Windows virtual keyboards are excellent. In fact the only virtual kb I struggle with are Android - with the exception of Fleksy and Kii which are both rather good.
    04-08-14 08:11 PM

Del venue pro.

Most consumers don't want a keyboarded phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    04-08-14 09:16 PM
    Microsoft just figured out screen rotation lock within the last year. Rotating homescreens may take them another five years to figure out!
    Five years indeed...BlackBerry STILL hasn't figured it out!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 09:37 PM
    Five years indeed...BlackBerry STILL hasn't figured it out!
    They did with PlayBook... i think they are waiting to implement it correctly and not just in rush for people to drool at.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 09:39 PM
    They did with PlayBook... i think they are waiting to implement it correctly and not just in rush for people to drool at.
    So right about the Playbook, but I've got an official Z10 dock that screams travesty every time I look at it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 09:42 PM
    So right about the Playbook, but I've got an official Z10 dock that screams travesty every time I look at it.
    True. I wouldn't be surprised if it arrives with 10.3 since it's the major UI update.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 09:53 PM
    people willing to pay more for full touchscreen because it is offer better experience for entertainment purpose (movie, gaming, books) , view photo, browsing etc

while keyboard mainly being use for work related activity text, email..,you dont need to spend a lot of money to get a phone that can offer good texting and email..
    04-08-14 09:56 PM
    True. I wouldn't be surprised if it arrives with 10.3 since it's the major UI update.
    That would be great - BlackBerrians love their docks. I can imagine that it's not easy for them to get this right. Between the Hub and the Peek gesture I would definitely want it to be fluid, functional and well thought out. Anything less will have CrackBerry exploding with crazy comments - me included!
    04-08-14 10:02 PM
    That would be great - BlackBerrians love their docks. I can imagine that it's not easy for them to get this right. Between the Hub and the Peek gesture I would definitely want it to be fluid, functional and well thought out. Anything less will have CrackBerry exploding with crazy comments - me included!
    Better to delay than to release buggy crap. ( I bought BB10 on release even though it had bugs and missing features it was a huge upgrade over iOS. )

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 10:05 PM
    I'm personally surprised there haven't been more landscape or portrait sliders released for Android or Windows Phone. I do know that as individual models, the Droid series devices were among the highest-selling Android smartphones.

I haven't read every post in detail, but I think one reason manufacturers have shied away from physical keyboard slider smartphones is they are more expensive to manufacture. I'm very sure that is the reason Apple has never produced a physical keyboard smartphone model. (Keep in mind that current Apple CEO and long time executive Tim Cook is a supply chain guy, not a technology guy.*)

*On a related note, have you ever noticed Apple uses the smallest amount of packaging of any manufacturer for their smartphones and tablets? Say what you want about Apple, but that's a very smart supply chain practice to keep costs down and increase the number of units that can be transported in a given truck or shipping container or in a pallet. I'm definite Apple's packaging methods are directly attributable to Tim Cook.
    04-09-14 12:09 AM
42 12