He realized he didnt need a data plan, so therefor he ditched it.
    but, that still falls into the catagory that it's a **REQUIREMENT** from both the phone manufacturer and the carrier that you have the data feature, if you don't want to use it, get a phone you don't have to have it on.
    08-13-08 09:13 AM
    dhyde79, you said it well too, I agree. All the different providers have different options and price levels to cater to your budget. It's up to the person and I agree if your just into texting there are a variety of full qwerty keyboard phones for that use.
    I really dont think it's anyone's business what type of phone a person wants to use to text. Who are any of us to say that if thats all you want to do, then get a different type of phone- not a Berry!
    08-13-08 09:19 AM
    but, that still falls into the catagory that it's a **REQUIREMENT** from both the phone manufacturer and the carrier that you have the data feature, if you don't want to use it, get a phone you don't have to have it on.
    What Scandalex was saying was that with that one guy buying that for his wife, he already had data but wasn't using it. This same guy also never has come to the site asking for help on how to (workaround) without data. He's not included!!
    Bottom line is, DON'T COME POSTING TO THE SITE ASKING FOR HELP WHEN YOU KNOW IN YOUR HEART THAT YOU NEED DATA!! Plain and simple!!
    08-13-08 09:22 AM
    why can't you? EVERYONE has the ability to change carriers at will, and if you're at the point of getting a new phone, you're also very close to not having a contract, or you're buying the phone outright, or on ebay, and chances are you can find that phone cheaper by signing up new with a different carrier and still pay the cancellation fee and have spent about the same amount of money...

I deal with these daily, if you don't want the data features, don't get a smartphone, seriously, the phones aren't happy without them, if you get a smartphone but can't afford the data features, go to a cellular provider that offers them in a manner which you can afford it (personally, I recommend alltel or verizon in that aspect since they bundle all of the features with your plan)
    This entire post screams pompous! Some people just want to have a BlackBerry; its just that simple and dont need permission or opinion. Here its is, you're telling someone they should just up and change carriers like its as easy as ordering a meal. If I want a "smart"phone without data, thats my buiness. Not everyone NEEDS or WANTS data.

And why do so many of these post just clearly jump away from what this thread is really all about- people who dont WANT to pay for data but WANT to use data like they are paying for it.
    08-13-08 09:27 AM
    scandalex, you're looking at it as if it's a CHOICE whether or not they have the data package, however, with exception of T-Mobile, I've checked with all of the major providers and the data package isn't optional on blackberries, any other smartphone, it's your choice, NOT ON A BLACKBERRY.
    08-13-08 09:31 AM
    Look, I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Aside from whether or not data is required by your carrier, there are two different groups of people: Those who want Blackberries and see no need for data and don't pay for it, which is their right, and those who DO want data and try to find a loophole to have data services without even paying for it. The latter group is what isn't right. Lexie, girl, you are right. People can do whatever they want. If they don't feel the need for push email or full internet, or cannot afford data and don't intend to use it, then fine! Personally would I buy a Berry without data? Nope. Seems like a waste. I could go get any other cell phone and have the same function. But some people just want Berries just to have them, and that is ok. Although I don't agree, we all have our own views. It is just when people want to be cheap and work around paying for data.. That is when this gets sticky.....
    08-13-08 09:36 AM
    I buy tennis shoes and don't play tennis Do you think tennis players around the world should all go into convulsions and tell me I'm ridiculous

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE..... if someone wants to PAY MY BILL I would be happy to order all the Berry services available whether I need them or not
    No offense to you, and nothing personal... This is not a good comparison. Tennis shoes weren't necessarily made for just TENNIS and we all know this. And, as a tennis player myself, I can certainly tell you that whenever I see anyone in a pair of Nikes without a racquet, it doesn't bother me. Tennis shoes are comfourtable and are obviously worn in a variety of athletic situations.

Blackberries, however, are designed with a data plan in mind. Why do you think so many carriers require data? Last I checked, to buy a pair of tennis shoes, you don't also have to sign up for tennis lessons at the time of purchase.
    08-13-08 09:38 AM
    2020, I think you're also missing the point. Yes I do know people want a Berry for different things. By the same token, there's a lot of hardcore Berry fans here. A Berry is meant to have a data plan, plain and simple. That's how it was designed. I bet if you look at that same thread that he started, the replies are at a minimum. Members are getting tired of that, that's all I'm trying to say. When you throw something like that at me, that's like saying, “ Apollo, Vivica Fox wants to be your girlfriend but you can't have sex with her”!! What's the point?? What say you??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No, dude, you're missing it.

The replies in that thread are at a minimum because there happens to be a simple answer to the question. But if you look at the OP's last response, it proves the real point. Just because you (and any other "upset member") can't fathom any circumstance where someone could benefit from a bb without data other than to be "unethical," doesn't mean there isn't one. I'll give you another: I had a pearl not being used. My wife wanted/needed a new phone, yet doesn't need the data services of a bb (unless vzw started a shared data plan). She liked the pearl, better functionally (texting included) and aesthetically than any other "phone" on the market....not to mention it would have cost me $0 to activate it.

It's quite naive to say this thread is only about the "unethical" people. If that was your only original intent, it has spun completely out of control and should be closed. It's one presumptuous accusation after another, followed by irrelevant analogies and backpedaling contradictions.
    08-13-08 09:38 AM

The replies in that thread are at a minimum because there happens to be a simple answer to the question. But if you look at the OP's last response, it proves the real point. Just because you (and any other "upset member") can't fathom any circumstance where someone could benefit from a bb without data other than to be "unethical," doesn't mean there isn't one. I'll give you another: I had a pearl not being used. My wife wanted/needed a new phone, yet doesn't need the data services of a bb (unless vzw started a shared data plan). She liked the pearl, better functionally (texting included) and aesthetically than any other "phone" on the market....not to mention it would have cost me $0 to activate it.

It's quite naive to say this thread is only about the "unethical" people. If that was your only original intent, it has spun completely out of control and should be closed. It's one presumptuous accusation after another, followed by irrelevant analogies and backpedaling contradictions.
    I am not of the belief that this thread should be closed whatsoever. Numerous responses are completely relevant, and are not presumptuous whatsoever. There is always going to be controversy and "bad apples" in any thread - this is a public forum, and everyone has a different opinion on what is right. Just because people have different feelings doesn't necessarily mean a thread should be closed.... If we all agreed, CB would be pretty boring.
    08-13-08 09:45 AM

With that being said, I never seen you make a post ASKING about a workaround. Obviously, that doesn't have anything to do with you, does it not?? I don't know where the " UNETHICAL" comes in at. Can you show me?? If you're trying to say that MEMBERS SAID it is unethical to not have data, then so be it. That's my family, if they agree with me, then kudos for me!! Right??? If any of my family has something to disagree with, (WITHIN DUE BOUNDS), I will also back them up.
    08-13-08 09:48 AM
    No offense to you, and nothing personal... This is not a good comparison. Tennis shoes weren't necessarily made for just TENNIS and we all know this. And, as a tennis player myself, I can certainly tell you that whenever I see anyone in a pair of Nikes without a racquet, it doesn't bother me. Tennis shoes are comfourtable and are obviously worn in a variety of athletic situations.

Blackberries, however, are designed with a data plan in mind. Why do you think so many carriers require data? Last I checked, to buy a pair of tennis shoes, you don't also have to sign up for tennis lessons at the time of purchase.

LOL You guys are too much....Only arguments that support buying data are accepted. I guess all the car analogies were fine even though all the CARS listed were not necessarily built for one thing.Maybe I like LUXURY in a car and not goign fast JEESH let it go

By the way Apollo ...Point taken about getting something for nothing "DARLING"
    08-13-08 09:49 AM
    LOL You guys are too much....Only arguments that support buying data are accepted. I guess all the car analogies were fine even though all the CARS listed were not necessarily built for one thing.Maybe I like LUXURY in a car and not goign fast JEESH let it go

By the way Apollo ...Point taken about getting something for nothing "DARLING"
    Did I say to buy data, and that's it? No, I did not. I'm saying your analogy isn't really appropriate for this argument.

As far as the car analogies, they make much more sense. Think about it. Ford manufactures Mustangs for power; they were originally intended as Muscle cars. Same with the Corvette and Charger. So in theory, why would you go out and buy a 4cyl Mustang with absolutely no options whatsoever? Ford never intended the Mustang for this, although they produced these lower end vehicles to reach a wider market. Same with the Blackberry. Blackberries were never intended to be used without data, however some people cannot afford data and don't need/want it, hence Tmobile offering Blackberry activation without data.

(And PS - yes I do happen to own a new Mustang, and lemme tell you it is NOT the base model. That being said, this argument definitely makes more sense to me personally.)
    08-13-08 09:53 AM
    I've tried to teach people the value of a data plan through a mistake that I made 4 years ago from my first Berry. I got the 10mb plan and didn't realize that I was getting charged for surfing the net. Originally the rep had told me that I could get at least 500 emails or more from that plan. Make a long story short, I got hit with a $525.00 Berry bill through Nextel. They only made me eat half at the time because it was a misunderstanding and upgraded me right then to the unlimited plan for only $10 extra bucks more per month. It seems like you can't teach people that on the site as they try not to spend the $30 bucks a month on the data package but yet want to carry a Berry. What's the point in having one then?? Anyone else feel the same way??

Actually, no-if they want to spend their money in a foolish fashion, it's no skin off my nose. As you did, when they get hit with that bill, they will learn.
    08-13-08 09:55 AM
    With that being said, I never seen you make a post ASKING about a workaround. Obviously, that doesn't have anything to do with you, does it not?? I don't know where the " UNETHICAL" comes in at. Can you show me?? If you're trying to say that MEMBERS SAID it is unethical to not have data, then so be it. That's my family, if they agree with me, then kudos for me!! Right??? If any of my family has something to disagree with, (WITHIN DUE BOUNDS), I will also back them up.
    Oh great, politics in cb!
    This is so counterproductive....to blindly agree with misinformation.

You don't know where unethical comes in? I thought that was your whole point?!?!
    08-13-08 09:55 AM
    Actually, no-if they want to spend their money in a foolish fashion, it's no skin off my nose. As you did, when they get hit with that bill, they will learn.
    You, dear, are very wise. I definitely agree with this point.
    08-13-08 09:56 AM
    To each his/her own I say. Does it help to have a full unlimited data plan? Of course. Pay as you go data is insane!!!
    08-13-08 09:58 AM

(And PS - yes I do happen to own a new Mustang, and lemme tell you it is NOT the base model. That being said, this argument definitely makes more sense to me personally.)
    Nice car

OHHH edited to say....I have a new Jeep wrangler 4wd but I didn't have to sign something saying I would go 4 wheeling. Guess I had no business buying a Jeep.......LMAO
    Last edited by SandAngel; 08-13-08 at 10:00 AM.
    08-13-08 09:58 AM
    Ok, having checked with all carriers, tmobile's the only one that BIS or BES isn't explicitly required if you have a blackberry, meaning if you want a blackberry without data, go to tmobile, otherwise, don't whine because people got in your *** for trying to have a blackberry and not the data. It's not an opinion or choice on the other carriers. PERIOD
    08-13-08 10:01 AM
    You, dear, are very wise. I definitely agree with this point.
    Thank you.....you know I LOVE my bb to pieces, but I pay for it with MY money, I bought the one I wanted, and I got the data plan I wanted. I find it.....interesting that so many bb owners(in here at least) are trying so hard to find ways to "classify" themselves, via what is essentially a phone--don't get me wrong--it's a D@MN good phone, and I confess that when I am without it, I get a little antsy, and everytime I find something new it can do, I'm a little like a mom who's child has learned a new word, but at the end of the day, I don't define my gender, my smarts, or anything else by RIM technology.

Sorry, off my soapbox now......lol
    08-13-08 10:06 AM
    Hehe.. Or going to a Benz dealership, and immediately heading for the used section of the lot, and picking up a Kia.
    But see, that's the thing.....why should ANYONE who buys a BMW be made to feel less than bc their BMW is not TOPOFTHELINE?
    08-13-08 10:10 AM
    Oh great, politics in cb!
    This is so counterproductive....to blindly agree with misinformation.

You don't know where unethical comes in? I thought that was your whole point?!?!
    There is no misinformation here 2020. I'm still trying to figure out how you got involved in this when you weren't one of the ones asking for a workaround!! Can you please explain that to us?????
    08-13-08 10:11 AM
    That was well spoken Scandal. You're right, we can't really worry about how people spend their money. It's kind of sad though when you get stuck like I did with a $500.00 dollar Berry bill and try to keep other people from making the same mistake you did and they don't take heed. As most of you have said though, why worry about how other people spend their money. If they want to drop a $1,000 a month or whatever the case from being stupid after being warned, it's on them. I guess better them than me, right???

LOL, even with the best of intentions, that sounds like a control thing......
    08-13-08 10:18 AM
    There is no misinformation here 2020. I'm still trying to figure out how you got involved in this when you weren't one of the ones asking for a workaround!! Can you please explain that to us?????
    I don't need to explain, but I will. I'm a member of cb, just like you.
    Almost every person replying in this thread, right or wrong, did not ask for a workaround.
    08-13-08 10:20 AM
    LOL I love these forums....but arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics....in the end your still ********! have a nice day!
    08-13-08 10:23 AM
    Did I say to buy data, and that's it? No, I did not. I'm saying your analogy isn't really appropriate for this argument.

As far as the car analogies, they make much more sense. Think about it. Ford manufactures Mustangs for power; they were originally intended as Muscle cars. Same with the Corvette and Charger. So in theory, why would you go out and buy a 4cyl Mustang with absolutely no options whatsoever? Ford never intended the Mustang for this, although they produced these lower end vehicles to reach a wider market. Same with the Blackberry. Blackberries were never intended to be used without data, however some people cannot afford data and don't need/want it, hence Tmobile offering Blackberry activation without data.

Actually, SandAngel's analogy is dead on.

Yeah the car analogies make more sense.
    ...used kia at a mercedes dealership? It's nothing like that.

My favorite though:

eh, I'd have said it's more like asking at the ferrari dealership "now, since I just bought this ferrari, can I go down to the gas station and fill it up on the cheap ****?" and wondering why the salesman tears up your check and takes the keys back away from you.
    ....The dealer that sells a ferrari (or any other car) couldn't care less if you pour sand in the tank, much less refuse $.
    Last edited by 2020; 08-13-08 at 10:55 AM.
    08-13-08 10:31 AM
303 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD