I bet some of you are like some of my so-called friends because they say things about me because I like to wear shoes with no socks. But I was flaming through a couple of pages because I don't have a data plan, until I thought about it and I'm similar to most of you. I get annoyed and argue with my mom often because she don't like the way I slam her car door because it could cause damage. I get annoyed when people (family) by shoes and don't want to scuff them or get them dirty. I'm usually telling these people things wear out just go buy another or repair it.
    I think I'm being double-dipped because I have to pay for data (internet) at home and data on the phone. What I want or waiting for is to pay an ISP a fee to receive data at home and on my phone. I think T-Mo have rolled out something comparable to what I'm looking for. I love access to web content that is only available on my phone but I have to ask myself if that's worth thirty dollars a months And if I'm not mistaken aren't there millions phones out there that don't have what the blackberry has and I don't hear hundreds or thousands of people complaining about lack of data and emails. I think every phone can send SMS, so, shouldn't everyone be required to have a text plan. A handful of people are going run into problems because they don't understand how things works, I think we all have heard of someone talking over their minutes and ending up with a bill they can't pay. I am the type of person that try to get things done as cheap/safe as possible and I don't mind helping people who wants to be helped.

IMHO somethings makes no sense and maybe it's best if we MYOB

----------------
    Now playing on iTunes: Leo Laporte - Leo Laporte - The Tech Guy 473
    via FoxyTunes
    08-10-08 01:53 PM
    WOW...I can't believe all you people being so upset because we all don't use DATA plans Why should I buy something I really don't have a use for? I rarely text , rarely send photos and rarely surf the net with my phone./ I also think all the places like facebook and such are not my cup of tea so hwho cares if I can't gain instant acces through my phone!!!!!

Why do I have a Blackberry. Well first off I have WIFI and phones are limited. Second, buying the curve when I did was actually CHEAPER then the cheapest QWIFI phone....go figure. So which should I have chosen? the cheap piece of crap for $135 or the curve for $100.

So why in the world should I buy a data plan just to make everyone else think I'm "Cool""? My phone does get free data in my wifi and hotspot zones, I can sms and MMS when I need with my text plan. I use all the office type features it provides which I Love . Not to mention ....I can't even GET charged for data as with no data plan Tmobile won't even LET me do anything data unless I'm in one of my Hotspots... so I really have no worries if I'm getting charged. i guess the only thing I ever needed to watch for for was my FIRST bill to make sure i wasn't signed up for anything crazy....and to tell the truth I'm a bill checker and go to Tmo"check services page" every time i call up and add or take something off just to make sure it was done right.

So UMMMMM tell me again why I should spend extra bucks each month as to not offend people???? Not to mention.. So what if somebody on CB is nice enought tomention how us data users can do something without a data plan????? why not take advatage of there knowledge. i'm all about getting something free if someone is nice enough to offer the knowledge
    08-10-08 02:47 PM
    No don't get upset, but I know they are not using the phone to it's potential. They may of just gotten a regular phone with other features.

Aloha!
    08-10-08 02:51 PM
    It's obvious that some people haven't read through all of the posts that we all pretty much established and agreed that we're not upset when people don't get data plans but get upset when a lot of people ask about work arounds so they don't have to pay for data or complain how they can't do this and can't do that because they have no plan. Yeah sure, we've also established that we'll mind our own business also because if some of you want to be unintelligent and not buy one, you deserve what you get at the end of the month. The kid above called Liestarter said in a nutshell we should mind our own business but yet I'm quite sure mommy pays his bills for him.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-08 05:51 PM
    It's obvious that some people haven't read through all of the posts that we all pretty much established and agreed that we're not upset when people don't get data plans but get upset when a lot of people ask about work arounds so they don't have to pay for data or complain how they can't do this and can't do that because they have no plan. Yeah sure, we've also established that we'll mind our own business also because if some of you want to be unintelligent and not buy one, you deserve what you get at the end of the month. The kid above called Liestarter said in a nutshell we should mind our own business but yet I'm quite sure mommy pays his bills for him.
    You don't seem upset but you do seem to have some sort of holier-than-thou attitude to people who don't have data plans. There are plenty of things that could attract someone to a blackberry, other than the data plan. How many phones out there have DocsToGo, a QWERTY keyboard, bluetooth 2.0, and WiFi? Not to mention the media player and all the 3rd party apps that you can get for these pretty solid phones. Think of it this way, the blackberry is good at so many other things that some people want it for more than just the data plan.

Plus the first thing my wife said when she saw my new Curve was "ohh, pretty!" So they have that going for them...
    08-10-08 11:26 PM
    How many phones out there have DocsToGo, a QWERTY keyboard, bluetooth 2.0, and WiFi? Not to mention the media player and all the 3rd party apps that you can get for these pretty solid phones.
    Lots of Windows Mobile and Palm based devices do all that. I think what people here are trying to say is Blackberry's claim to fame is the push email. If you chose not to have a data plan, you are missing out on of the the device's greatest strengths.

A smartphone without a data plan is like a sports car with an automatic transmission. It's still a nice machine, but it's true abilities are held back and not used to it's full potential. But it's your money and ultimately if you are happy with it, then that's all that matters.
    08-10-08 11:54 PM
    Not having a data plan with a bberry is like having a farrari but not seeing how fast it can go.

08-11-08 12:07 AM
    Lots of Windows Mobile and Palm based devices do all that. I think what people here are trying to say is Blackberry's claim to fame is the push email. If you chose not to have a data plan, you are missing out on of the the device's greatest strengths.
    I do agree it is like going to a fine Italian restaurant and ordering the mac n cheese but some people do that and it is just fine.

Though I will say sometimes the blackberry phones are both better and cheaper than other phones people have the option of buying with their plans that don't include data. According to Sprint if I want to buy a phone that's a PDA, has bluetooth, and has GPS then I only have 5 options. Three blackberrys and two treos and blackberry pearl and the curve are both cheaper than the first treo.

A smartphone without a data plan is like a sports car with an automatic transmission. It's still a nice machine, but it's true abilities are held back and not used to it's full potential. But it's your money and ultimately if you are happy with it, then that's all that matters.
    This is by far the best analogy in the thread.
    08-11-08 12:12 AM
    I can see someone going without the data plan if they bought it say, to sms because of the keyboard. I just wish there was a note first thing in the box that said the mms service books aren't guaranteed to work without the data plan so parents that think a razr is to complex and only bought a BlackBerry for their kid don't get upset when they have to add the data package to use their family messaging.
    08-11-08 12:16 AM
    I don't think anyone here has any right to be angry about how someone else uses their phone.

It's a phone, they pay their bill, it's their life, stay out of it.

I have enough to worry about in my life without passing judgement on someone without a data plan. A data plan. It's just a DATA PLAN. That extra $30 a month they aren't spending may be needed elsewhere like food, hydro...AG was right about they very well could have gotten the BB for less than a regular phone.
    08-11-08 01:45 AM
    It's a phone, they pay their bill, it's their life, stay out of it.
    I agree completely, until they bring it into my life, by wanting to use my BB to access the internet, check their mail, etc. In most cases I'll let my friends do it, because I have unlimited data, but unlimited or not, they're still using my money.

I know one guy who had the gal to ask to use mine because he had a "limited" data plan and didn't want to use his up.
    08-11-08 01:55 AM
    I agree completely, until they bring it into my life, by wanting to use my BB to access the internet, check their mail, etc. In most cases I'll let my friends do it, because I have unlimited data, but unlimited or not, they're still using my money.

I know one guy who had the gal to ask to use mine because he had a "limited" data plan and didn't want to use his up.
    I agree with that - it's people who lecture others for not having a data plan just because they found out they don't have a data plan that I was directing that at.
    08-11-08 01:57 AM
    You can't help but find out when people don't have a data plan when they're constantly posting asking about how to use this or how to use that without getting a data plan. Honestly it's getting old. If you notice the people that posts questions such as those, the replies are getting less and less each time it's asked because a lot of members are getting tired of answering a question like that. No I don't claim to be holier than thou because I have a data plan, none of us do. It's my mistake to try to help people save money so they didn't fall like I did. Spend as much as you want to spend. You want to pay a mortgage on your Berry, go right ahead, I DON'T CARE!!!

08-11-08 02:20 AM

That was low down Kronk. I know you had to be pissed. I would hate for someone to send someone to me for something like that. Actually Kronk, at my job when people ask me what's the score to a game or want me to go to ESPN just to surf, I tell them to buy a Berry.

08-11-08 02:38 AM
    I have two co-workers that have Pearls on T-Mo. Neither of them have a data plan, but both have unlimited text messaging. They're happy with using their BB's as a planner and a glorified text messaging phone.

I guess to each their own, but I wouldn't be caught dead without an unlimited data plan.
    08-11-08 02:59 AM
    Not really as long as they understand the limitations
    they face. If however they start complaining about all
    the ish they can't do and want to know how to work around
    this that or the other thing then, yeah.

As a phone the BB is a good device, if that is all the person
    wants and can get it for a good price. Want full capability,
    get a plan.
    My thoughts exactly! My husband has absolutely no need and zero time to surf the net or check email on his bb but he uses everything else that doesn't require a data plan: address book, text, alarm, camera, calendar, etc. He had a data plan for a month then he realized he never used it so he got rid of it.
    08-11-08 03:23 AM
    A friend of mine just got a pearl without a data plan and with internet disabled - it doesn't annoy me at all. But I can see how it can be annoying for people (that own curves and up) to constantly nag you to use your internet because they don't want to pay for it... I have nothing against people that buy BB's just for wi-fi, txting and calling. There QWERTY pads kick serious @ss! Plus there are a lot of apps that are useful that don't require the internet.

08-11-08 03:55 AM
    I could care less what others do with their data plans.

08-11-08 03:56 AM
    Some one help,
    Any tracking devices or tools for blackberry
    08-11-08 06:11 AM
    Some one help,
    Any tracking devices or tools for blackberry
    Welcome to Crackberry.

Please don't thread-jack active threads. You'll get better responses if you start a new thread with a clear title stating your needs. That, and I'm not sure what you're even asking for.
    08-11-08 06:17 AM
    My brother's girlfriend gave him a BB for his birthday. He's cheap and canceled the data plan after a couple of months.

I don't care what other people do with their BBs. As long as mine has a data plan that is all that matters to me.

08-11-08 09:54 AM
    Tell me why i need a data plan. I have a Pearl 8120 with e-mail. I really don't care much about surfing the internet. T-Mobile does not charge for data use for surfing on WiFi (which I can do for free). I don't care about "chatting." Why do I need a data plan?
    08-11-08 09:57 AM
    My brother's girlfriend gave him a BB for his birthday. He's cheap and canceled the data plan after a couple of months.

I don't care what other people do with their BBs. As long as mine has a data plan that is all that matters to me.

Good for you Redhead!! Remember, this thread was about who gets upset about people that do not have a data plan with their Berry. Many people made good references to other things. Use it to it's full potential!! That's all we're saying. If you can't afford it, get a Razor, simple as that!! Some people made good references about wifi. That's good also!! Don't come asking about work arounds just because you want to have a Berry and don't want to pay for data!! Too many people come to the site asking for that type of info and members are getting tired of the same questions as such, just as members are getting tired of people saying that they FOUND a CURVE or IPHONE and wondering how they can make it work for them. For the most part, we have a lot of descent people on this site that will help any which way they can but don't come for help asking us how to help you STEAL something that you so-called found or workarounds because you don't want to pay for DATA!! That tihs is getting old!! None of this is meant towards you Redhead so no pun intended, ok!!

08-11-08 10:14 AM
    ya know, that's one of the reasons I love the way Alltel's set up their blackberry devices, you're REQUIRED to have a specific type of plan, but, to make it worth it, they bundle the early nights, the unlimited texts, and the unlimited data, into the regular plan.

before when this wasn't the case, and we got calls or customers coming in complaining about their phone not working right after they'd removed the data package, or, on WM devices how they had outrageous bills because they'd bumped the browser button and the phone connected to the web for 2 1/2 hours and wasted those minutes, my answer was simple, you're using a device that's designed to have a CONSTANT internet connection, if you don't want that, get a regular phone, if you want all of the organizer features, buy a pocket organizer.

If that makes me a bad person for thinking that people getting smart devices should be REQUIRED to have data plans, then I'm a bad person, if you don't want the advanced things that blackberries are designed to do, get a regular phone, they also have the ability to have an address book, alarm, camera, text messaging, pic messaging, calendar, etc.

Seriously, without the data package, most regular phones are MORE functional than the non-wifi blackberries. If you want wi-fi, buy a Palm TX or most any iPaq, or Dell Axiom PDA. I'm pretty sure that it's capable of functioning just fine in the same capacity as what your data-less blackberry does.
    08-11-08 10:42 AM
    While I agree that people who want data should pay for data, why put down people who love their BB as a useful tool and don't feel the need for data? My wife has a Curve + data and uses the email all the time. I am always around a computer and don't need instant email or internet, hence I don't need data. My Pearl is still hands down the best phone I have ever had, way better than my Razr.
    08-11-08 10:47 AM
303 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD