Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nineinchnail1024
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Any superphones in the works?

Is anyone aware if Blackberry is going to launch a phone in the near future that can at least compete with an Android device? What I mean be this is that RIM clearly went after the Iphone 5 which is no longer the standard of smartphones. I really want to give another platform a try, however, this Z10 is absolutely nothing compelling to make a switch. The OS looks GREAT, however, a 4 inch screen with an 8 megapixal camera just doesn't cut the musterd expecially when the new standards for this summer is at LEAST a 4.5 inch screen with at LEAST a 10 megapixal camera. Even Apple has found its playing catchup and is rumored to release a larger screened phone. For the life of me I just can't understand why Rim didn't go with a product that the market is clearly calling for and a product that at least offers some tanglible benefit to even mid level android devices. With that said is there a real competitor in the works?
    CrackBerry User

I'm hoping the Aristo will still be a reality.
    Thanked by:
    truthteller10 (02-04-2013) 
    pcguy514 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

if they did and anyone knew the info would probably be in here : http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored-devices-f150/

hard to see somtimes wayyyy after the 9*** and 8*** series forums
    *IMHO* I think The CB team should move it to a subforum of General Blackberry or merge with News and Rumors.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Throsten said the BB is not in spec race, if you are only interested in specs you are better off moving to Android camp.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,861 Global Posts

Funny, I've spoken with a few Android users that are making the switch, so I guess they did make a phone that competes. They are, however, (all speculation at this point) coming out with a larger and more powerful phone so the spec junkies can get their fix.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

So does that mean his failure to understand the market and therefore go the way of Palm is his plan?

Quote Originally Posted by gorang View Post
    Throsten said the BB is not in spec race, if you are only interested in specs you are better off moving to Android camp.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I hope so, I'd hate for them to go the way of Palm. I think the OS is something fresh and new and they did a great job on it so I definitely want to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    Funny, I've spoken with a few Android users that are making the switch, so I guess they did make a phone that competes. They are, however, (all speculation at this point) coming out with a larger and more powerful phone so the spec junkies can get their fix.

Global Posts
    5,861 Global Posts

Dude... seriously.... the Palm retort is just ridiculous, tired, and old. The two situations are worlds apart..... With that said, the 4.2 inch screen was designed with purpose. They were not just trying to be bigger than the iPhone. I've held it and it's a VERY comfortable fit in hand and is designed for one handed use, and the design worked for the purpose intended.

I'm glad you're willing to give it a try as the OS and UI is really quite interesting. There is still some work to be done on little bugs here and there but that's the norm for any 1.0 release. I do believe Android is still working out some bugs (sorry... just had to). Of course the app count isn't there yet, and will be a bit until it is but it's a strong start and more are coming all the time. With the interest shown in the UK and Canada so far, dev's are going to want to be a part of this.

Sorry if the opening line was a bit abrasive but I really hate that comparison because it's not valid.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,269 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    So does that mean his failure to understand the market and therefore go the way of Palm is his plan?
    LOL truthteller10 or trollteller10??? How is this a failure to read the market? It means it's a more efficient os so it doesn't need crazy specs to run at full potential. And this isn't really palm. If you noticed palm only launched the original pre on 1 carrier globally. Bb has over 100. And I'm sure there really going to be higher spec'd phones for people who need it. But the quad core, 27.3", battery hungry androids need stupid specs to run at full capacity. The way I look at it is an android is an old Chevy v8. Powerful but very inefficient. Bb10 is a new corvette engine. Smaller. Lighter. Equal to more power. PLUS has active fuel management. To save gas.
    CrackBerry Addict

Such a trolly title, I don't know what I expected...

But I expected more.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    Is anyone aware if Blackberry is going to launch a phone in the near future that can at least compete with an Android device? What I mean be this is that RIM clearly went after the Iphone 5 which is no longer the standard of smartphones. I really want to give another platform a try, however, this Z10 is absolutely nothing compelling to make a switch. The OS looks GREAT, however, a 4 inch screen with an 8 megapixal camera just doesn't cut the musterd expecially when the new standards for this summer is at LEAST a 4.5 inch screen with at LEAST a 10 megapixal camera. Even Apple has found its playing catchup and is rumored to release a larger screened phone. For the life of me I just can't understand why Rim didn't go with a product that the market is clearly calling for and a product that at least offers some tanglible benefit to even mid level android devices. With that said is there a real competitor in the works?
    ok, I think we need to clear some of your points up, because you listed a lot of "personal preference" features as being "standards". They're not. They're user preference.
    ie:
    the new standards for this summer is at LEAST a 4.5 inch screen
    No. That is a preference for a group of people, it is not the "standard" for everyone. Hundreds of millions of people still prefer smaller form factors in the 4" area. Like iPhone5 for example.
    at LEAST a 10 megapixal camera
    Again, Camera phones are an advertising advantage. Not everyone cares about it for day to day use. There are still a ton of people for whom the phone camera is for nothing more than taking pics of them with their friends out on the town, or posting the pair of high heels Suzie just bought on IG for her friends to see, and 10+ MP cams are sufficient for that. In fact 5MP cams were already sufficient for that. If you are trying to point out that it looks better on paper as a selling feature targeted at John Q Public, then ok yeah, I get that.
    I really want to give another platform a try, however, this Z10 is absolutely nothing compelling to make a switch
    That's because you want a stronger camera and a larger screen. I hope you're aware that you do not = everyone else though, because you give the very strong impression that your preferences represent everyone. The z10 phone itself has numerous compelling reasons that could pull me away from Android. However, I don't expect others, including you, to share my preferences. I could list those reasons for you, but I'm too tired to engage in a wee-wee contest over who's preferences "matter".
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4

Global Posts
    17,666 Global Posts

He came, he trolled. He left...nuff said.