I work in a steel factory. With all the rust and steel partials in the air, the ear piece and speaker magnets get covered. I've sent my phones out many times to get cleaned, but its getting costly and a waist of time. Does anyone have any suggestions, on how I can prevent this form happening.
    Last edited by jay_0427; 09-26-12 at 10:06 AM.
    09-26-12 09:59 AM
    I work in a steel factory. With all the rust and steel partials in the air the ear piece and speaker magnets get covered. I've sent my phones out many times to get cleaned, but its getting costly and a waist of time. Does anyone have any suggestions, on how I can prevent this form happening.
    Otterbox cases?

BTW - Welcome to CrackBerry!
    09-26-12 10:00 AM
    Keep it in a holster. If you're not allowed for safety reasons, try a sleeve. Either one will completely cover most of the ports. If you want some protection, you could try the Otterbox Commuter case along with the Bold 9000 holster (the one with the enormous flap).
    09-26-12 10:04 AM
    I was going to suggest a ziplock bag ... *sigh*

Is it just the ports that this is getting into? What about tape over said ports? Dumb idea?
    09-26-12 10:12 AM
    Keep it in a holster. If you're not allowed for safety reasons, try a sleeve. Either one will completely cover most of the ports. If you want some protection, you could try the Otterbox Commuter case along with the Bold 9000 holster (the one with the enormous flap).
    I've got the otterbox. I've even went so far as to keep it in a zipplock bag. Somehow it still gets in.
    09-26-12 10:12 AM
    This is with sincerity...If the particles are getting in to a tightly sealed ziploc then I would be more worried about my own health than a phone. Are you breathing this in too?

Put tape over the areas of the phone you want to protect at work.
    09-26-12 10:16 AM
    Saran Wrap over the ear pieces and a baggie for the phone itself.
    09-26-12 10:16 AM
    I was going to suggest a ziplock bag ... *sigh*
    Is it just the ports that this is getting into? What about tape over said ports? Dumb idea?
    That's an idea. But I'm not sure if I would be able to hear a caller, if I were to put tape over the ear phone??
    09-26-12 10:17 AM
    This is with sincerity...If the particles are getting in to a tightly sealed ziploc then I would be more worried about my own health than a phone. Are you breathing this in too?

Yes I breath this garbage in too.
    09-26-12 10:18 AM

Surely he wears a mask...OP please tell us you wear a mask...
    09-26-12 10:18 AM
    Surely he wears a mask...OP please tell us you wear a mask...
    I do ware a full resporator.
    09-26-12 10:22 AM
    I've got the otterbox. I've even went so far as to keep it in a zipplock bag. Somehow it still gets in.
    Maybe seran wrap it and keep a bluetooth headset in your pocket if you need to make a call.
    09-26-12 10:36 AM
    Maybe seran wrap it and keep a bluetooth headset in your pocket if you need to make a call.
    Thanks. But I think I would still run into the problem of getting metal on the speaker of the bluetooth
    09-26-12 10:38 AM
    Otterbox may not completely solve your problem. They are not air tight cases and the metal will collect on the rubber like a lead pencil smearing on paper. The speaker is still exposed even when in the holster. Otterbox is more for fall protection.

I am a huge advocate of Otterbox and it has saved me many, many time. But I just don't want you to be disappointed.

What you need is a waterproof/airtight case/container.
    09-26-12 10:46 AM
    Thank you all. But I think when I get my new 9900, I'm just gonna have to take out handset ins, on it.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    09-26-12 10:47 AM
    Otterbox may not completely solve your problem. They are not air tight cases and the metal will collect on the rubber like a lead pencil smearing on paper. The speaker is still exposed even when in the holster. Otterbox is more for fall protection.

I am a huge advocate of Otterbox and it has saved me many, many time. But I just don't want you to be disappointed.

What you need is a waterproof/airtight case/container.
    I didn't even know they had something like that. Thank you very much.
    09-26-12 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD