As most of us eventually find out, the stability and number of times we need to pull out the battery seems directly related to how many apps are installed in the limited 32/64megs of memory in Blackberries. Due to the inability to run apps from the SD cards, we are stuck with what can sometimes be slimmed down software running every so slowly on a crowded Blackberry.

With 3rd party apps becoming increasingly popular--as well as the heightened attention brought by the iPhone--does RIM have any plans to change their file system? From what we can see, the Bold and Javelin combat this problem by adding more system memory--but I get the feeling that when better, bigger apps come to take advantage of the new hardware, we'll eventually run into the same problem we have now.

Has anyone heard any rumors? Or know any inside information? When will we see the first Blackberry that allows for apps to be run from the SD card?
    08-12-08 01:26 AM
    That's a very good question, and I would say only RIM has the answer. I do, however, plan on getting the Javelin eventually and don't ever see myself filling up it's 256k device memory with apps. But who knows what the future of 3rd party apps holds for us?
    08-12-08 01:40 AM
    I was hoping that the Blackberry 9500--the Storm/Thunder--would have some change in the memory system. With advanced apps for other phones (i.e. iPhone) hitting 50 - 200mb, there is no way such an app could run on a Blackberry that is limited to 128 - 256mb of space for apps.
    08-12-08 02:32 AM
    I thought about that too, but fingers crossed we won't get to the point where we run out of space.
    08-12-08 09:17 AM
    What's really need is an OS that can access the "media" card so the that you can store and run apps driectly from the card.
    08-12-08 10:46 AM
    What's really need is an OS that can access the "media" card so the that you can store and run apps driectly from the card.
    What is really needed, is an embedded processor that can access 32 bits of address space and the memory to fill it.

Media cards are not addressable, they are serial data devices, much like a hard disk drive.
    08-12-08 10:49 AM
    Ture, but having the media card run like a disk drive would allow you to keep apps on it and load them into ram to run like a PC. Would free up the limited memory in the BB.
    08-12-08 10:54 AM
    Ture, but having the media card run like a disk drive would allow you to keep apps on it and load them into ram to run like a PC. Would free up the limited memory in the BB.
    RIM really needs to implement this capability.
    08-12-08 11:28 AM
    don't ever see myself filling up it's 256k device memory with apps. But who knows what the future of 3rd party apps holds for us?
    Programs always expand to fill the memory available. Lotus 1-2-3 ran in 640k originally. I guess that dates me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 11:53 AM
    I'm with you there. Just add another 10MB hard drive.
    08-12-08 12:04 PM
    Okay, so we love the Blackberry because it is fairly stable and "just works" and now you guys want to turn it into Windows Mobile? No thanks. Count me out.

08-12-08 07:22 PM
    Newer devices are being built with newer faster processors, and also with a lot more memory. RIM's biggest client base would be the "corporate" type who would not load down the device with a ton of 3rd party applications. This being said, the newer devices are being built with a lot more memory capacity than previous models.

08-12-08 07:36 PM
    That's a very good question, and I would say only RIM has the answer. I do, however, plan on getting the Javelin eventually and don't ever see myself filling up it's 256k device memory with apps. But who knows what the future of 3rd party apps holds for us?
    I want the Javelin as well. There are few of us, as everybody seems to want the bold. I guess it depends what kind of deal i get when i am up for renewal with new every two program. I have been a long time cust of Verizon and like their service but don't want to switch carriers just to get the bold...
    08-12-08 07:41 PM
    No need severe, it's coming to you.

08-12-08 08:03 PM
    Okay, so we love the Blackberry because it is fairly stable and "just works" and now you guys want to turn it into Windows Mobile? No thanks. Count me out.

Who said anything about Windows Mobile?

The ability to run apps off an SD card or have extended Flash Memory for apps actually is more of a Palm innovation.

The problem is my Blackberries were "fairly stable" and "just worked" a year ago. Now, as I have a ton of contacts and new helpful apps that create a more powerful device, my device starts to run slow and eventually crash or needs a battery pull. This is due to what seems like an archaic memory system. Modern apps for phones that can do wonderful things are moving from 650K, 1 or 2 mb to 50, 100 or 200 mb applications as they become more powerful and useful. I'm really just wondering if, or when, Blackberry decides to change the memory system.
    08-12-08 09:14 PM
    Newer devices are being built with newer faster processors, and also with a lot more memory. RIM's biggest client base would be the "corporate" type who would not load down the device with a ton of 3rd party applications. This being said, the newer devices are being built with a lot more memory capacity than previous models.

I would say the RIM biggest client base is quickly becoming non-corporate. I assume they are probably addressing their future OS to adjust for the needs of this base, it probably will only work with newer models, as I guess that the Curves were developed three or four years ago when the base was mostly corporate and looked to stay that way when the specs were set in stone.
    08-12-08 09:27 PM
    Who said anything about Windows Mobile?

The ability to run apps off an SD card or have extended Flash Memory for apps actually is more of a Palm innovation.

The problem is my Blackberries were "fairly stable" and "just worked" a year ago. Now, as I have a ton of contacts and new helpful apps that create a more powerful device, my device starts to run slow and eventually crash or needs a battery pull. This is due to what seems like an archaic memory system. Modern apps for phones that can do wonderful things are moving from 650K, 1 or 2 mb to 50, 100 or 200 mb applications as they become more powerful and useful. I'm really just wondering if, or when, Blackberry decides to change the memory system.
    The Palm VFS was what I was thinking.

I would say the RIM biggest client base is quickly becoming non-corporate. I assume they are probably addressing their future OS to adjust for the needs of this base, it probably will only work with newer models, as I guess that the Curves were developed three or four years ago when the base was mostly corporate and looked to stay that way when the specs were set in stone.
    I think they need to have their eye in the iPhone. I see where Apple is marketing iPhone corporately.
    08-13-08 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD