Hi,

just recently I have found out that you can reboot your BB without taking the battery out, simpley pressing ALT-CAP-Backspace does the job as well (I have written more about that on my blog).

Now my question is: So far this has worked for me but are there instances when this doesn't help either?

I just read before in a different thread about lost 3G signal (EDGE instead) and pulling the battery brought back 3G. I suppose this would have worked with that 3 key combination as well.

So any instances where you HAVE to take out the battery cause soft-reset through the keys didn't work?
    11-07-08 01:07 AM
    The other won't on pearls.

Your BB is frozen and the keys won't work.

I have been told that the key combo doesn't fully stop the power.

Just to name a few.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 01:12 AM
    I feel like a hard reset (battery pull) just does more and frees up more memory. I know im probably wrong but its just my OCDness i guess lol. I think there was an instance for me when the screen locked up and the soft reset didnt work. Had to pull the battery.
    11-07-08 01:13 AM
    Technically their is no reason that this shouldn't work, but in real life testing you'll find it does indeed seem that sometimes pulling the battery is much better then just doing a soft reset...Reasoning, I have no definitive reason why...just one of those things.
    11-07-08 01:17 AM
    I'd agree with Bla1ze. Sometimes a battery pull is what's needed for the fix.
    11-07-08 08:45 AM
    I think some of us have found that doing the KEY-reset TWICE is more like or maybe identical to a battery pull. After the first key-reset, as the screen comes back to WHITE, do it a second time - you will note this generally takes longer with hourglass, etc and is much more thorough.
    11-07-08 09:41 AM
    Another thread on this subject said the battery pull is actually dangerous to your phone. That you could accidentally fry it. I used to do both to reset it but since then I just use my keyboard

11-07-08 10:05 AM
    i work in tech support for those older blackberrys for nextel and we do battery pulls on almost every call taking out the battery while the phone is still on waiting about 20 secs putting it back in

never does harm to those phones

so why would it harm more updated newer hardware??

i think youll be fine pulling it, and besides ya fry the hardware = new phone hardware problem
    something happens to the software ya reinstall it

but hard resets refresh your phone with the network try one and youll see the arrows moving it will really refresh your whole phone

it does wonders in tech support!
    11-07-08 10:18 AM
    I've been told the same thing. Again, I don't know one way or the other if its true. I would suggest finding the thread and reading it as the person made some very good points.

My point is if their are 2 ways to do it and one way may/can/possibly hurt than I will use the other.

11-07-08 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD