Hi folks

I've long wanted to get on the BB bandwagon/addiction and now that my current cell needs to be replaced, I'm thinking I should finally take the plunge.

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked refurbished 7230, which can be had for $60-70.

Aside from the reduced coolness factor of having an older BB, are there any compelling reasons for me not to go the cheapskate route? I do a lot of email, but I don't think I'll need web access or other bells &whistles.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Svend
    07-11-08 12:03 PM
    How would you get your eMail without web access?
    I don't know if it's still available, but AT&T was offering a refurb Curve for $50.00.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 12:23 PM
    Hi folks

I've long wanted to get on the BB bandwagon/addiction and now that my current cell needs to be replaced, I'm thinking I should finally take the plunge.

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked refurbished 7230, which can be had for $60-70.

Aside from the reduced coolness factor of having an older BB, are there any compelling reasons for me not to go the cheapskate route? I do a lot of email, but I don't think I'll need web access or other bells &whistles.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Svend
    Ummmmm you can get a refurbed curve or pearl instead LOL.
    07-11-08 12:31 PM
    When the Bold hits the market in a few weeks, my guess is that Curve and Pearl prices will drop sharply shortly afterwards.
    07-11-08 12:41 PM
    Hi. Thanks for that good question. Guess I put that wrong.

What I mean is that that surfing isn't very important to me at the moment, so the latest and the greatest in terms of display or other OS functionality isn't high priority. I just need to be able to check and reply to high-priority emails and open the occasional attachment when out of the office and want to make sure I'm not getting a phone that won't provide that functionality because it's obsolete in some respect.

I figure that you usually get more bang for your buck by getting the last generation's hot product. It's a bit like cars--I think buying new car's crazy unless you have money to burn--with the admittedly important difference that roads don't change much.

Tx.
    07-11-08 12:41 PM
    Yeah, I'm not really up on the different models, I'm afraid. I settled tentatively on the 7230 mainly because I found it cheap and and having triband (which I need because I sometimes travel from the USA to Asia).

Otherwise, I don't give a hoot about features (even the PDA part). A glorified email client is fine for me.
    Last edited by svendster; 07-11-08 at 12:48 PM.
    07-11-08 12:43 PM
    Posted in another thread:

Blackberry Curve Refurb - $1
    Free 2 day priority shipping

Get Started - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular
    07-11-08 02:23 PM
    As you so correctly stated earlier, "you just wanted to get on the Bandwagon". Your subsequent post clearly indicates you've no need for a BB, but would like one for showboating.
    IMHO, Buy the most expensive BB on the market. Then, at the least you'll look dang good with your really expensive BlackBerry!
    Just my $0.02 worth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the reply, despite its needless (and mistaken) assumptions.

Not that I'm terribly concerned about clearing this up, but I haven't gotten one before because I wasn't away from my desk often enough with truly time sensitive inquiries to justify the purchase from a business standpoint. That will soon be changing with a job where I'm expecting to be traveling often.

Before you read uncomplimentary things into other people's obviously tongue in cheek posts, please consider psychology before jumping to conclusions (not to mention being impolite). Those truly jumping onto bandwagons rarely know they are, and in the rare cases they do they're pretty unlikely to do a sober cost/benefit analysis that second guesses market trends and marketing hype designed to keep you on an eternal treadmill of needless upgrades.

That motivation is hardly showboating. It's prudence and thinking for yourself.

But perhaps your snarky post answers my question: Even a person looking down on a newbie for doing his homework before making a purchase appears not to have a good argument against doing this.

Thanks.
    07-12-08 12:54 PM
    CrackBlack: This is one of the few times you and I will
    disagree. I just reread the OP's initial post and every one
    after nothing indicated he was looking to showboat. In fact he stated
    he was willing to give up the "coolness" of the latest
    device in deference for saving money.
    07-12-08 01:07 PM
    Yeah, I'm not really up on the different models, I'm afraid. I settled tentatively on the 7230 mainly because I found it cheap and and having triband (which I need because I sometimes travel from the USA to Asia).

Otherwise, I don't give a hoot about features (even the PDA part). A glorified email client is fine for me.
    I started with a 7250, if you want to be able to read and respond emails easily and on the go, the 7230 will do just fine, in fact it will do more than fine, now keep in mind that it will not be that great with attachments, you will be able to view them but very poorly im afraid, also you can forget about compose or edit attachments, it wont happen with this device, all your emails will be received in plain text format and thats also how you will send them, if all of this is ok with you you should do fine with th 7230 but my advice would be to try to get any of the 8xxx series instead.

----------------
    Now playing: Grand Magus - Iron Will
    via FoxyTunes
    07-12-08 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD