Hiya I'm a newbie I havnt actually got a Blackberry yet but im due for an upgrade next month and the Blackberrys have caught my eye but theres to many to chose from but heard a few stories about the Blackberrys track ball so ive been looking at either the Bold 9700 or Curve 8520 but dont know which one to chose or any others anyone would suggest but being on O2 there isnt really much choice.. I just thought I would ask for peoples opinions thanks Clare x
    02-24-10 11:21 AM
    I would say see which are on your carrier first, and go and try them out in store if possible to see which one you might like.
    02-24-10 11:24 AM
    If there was one best BlackBerry, everyone would buy only that, and BlackBerry would only put out one model.

The way to know what's best for you is to understand all the options and features and see which one meets your needs. I don't think anyone is going to say the 9700 sucks

Here are two links for the ones you mentioned.

BlackBerry - WiFi PDA Curve 8520 Smartphone Specs - BlackBerry UK
    BlackBerry - 3G Mobile Phone Bold 9700 Specs - BlackBerry UK

The 9700 has a bigger screen, more resolution, and 3G. There's more but that's a good start.
    02-24-10 11:25 AM
    Like cdowner says, try them out in the store. The 9700 is a very fine device if the keyboard fits your hands. The screen is a wonder, lots of memory, and a faster processor.

IMHO any BlackBerry you pick is very likely to be a winner. Go for it!
    02-24-10 11:26 AM
    Every blackberry has the same UI, the only difference is 1: memory 2: wi-fi 3:GPS 4: keyboard 5: trackball/trackpad 6: screen. Just go to a store for O2 and see which one you like better. i prefer the 9700, my wife really enjoys her 8900 while a friend of our's loves her 8520... it all depends on the personal choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 11:26 AM
    Hey Clare,

Take the advice the poster above me (cdowner) pointed out, but if you want to right away jump in to the fun I would say from the devices you mentioned the Curve 8520 might be a better choice. I am sure many will disagree with me, as the Bold 9700 is overall more feature packed and powerful. However, I had the Curve 8520 personally and enjoyed it really much. It is an excellent choice for anyone new to BlackBerry smartphones.

If you feel like you can handle the power the Bold 9700 delivers, there's nothing wrong in choosing it. The best would be to try them both out in a store if possible, like cdowner already mentioned, and see which one you might like better.

Welcome to CrackBerry by the way!
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 02-24-10 at 11:32 AM.
    02-24-10 11:30 AM
    Thanks everyone for your help think I will go to O2 store and see if i can try them both to see which one i like better but I have to say I'm swaying towards the Bold 9700 I cant wait to upgrade now
    02-24-10 11:43 AM
    They're all great devices. You just need to go into a store and spend some time playing around. Some of the newer ones have WiFi, though that may not matter to you. One thing you may want to consider is that the newest (Stom2, Tour2 when released, and possibly the Bold) have the ability to run the latest OpenGL coded apps and games (faster processing and better graphics), which older models can't run.

Also, if your almost due for an upgrade, that typically means that your at the end of a contract. You might consider switching to different carrier if your current selections are too limiting.
    02-24-10 11:49 AM
    I've owned both the 8520 and the 9700. If you're choosing between the two, I'd go for the 9700 hands down. It's got higher resolution, a faster processor, a flash on the camera and 3G among other things. I don't see any downside to the Bold - especially with upgrade pricing.

02-24-10 11:53 AM
    Agreed, the only thing is with her being a woman, the 9700 might be kind of a brick in her hands. Spec wise, no contest between the 2 phones she mentioned, like you say.
    02-24-10 12:04 PM
    If there was one best BlackBerry, everyone would buy only that, and BlackBerry would only put out one model.
    Perfect. This should be the standard answer anytime this question is raised
    02-24-10 12:23 PM
    9700 is the coolest/fastest bb ever. the only thing that can stop you is the price.
    02-24-10 12:25 PM
    Perfect. This should be the standard answer anytime this question is raised
    Thank you
    02-24-10 12:30 PM
    Agreed, the only thing is with her being a woman, the 9700 might be kind of a brick in her hands. Spec wise, no contest between the 2 phones she mentioned, like you say.
    I would agree if we were talking about the 9000, but the 9700 is almost imperceptibly larger than the 8520. In fact this Bold is smaller than the 83xx Curves. But yes, trying them out at the store is the way to go.

02-24-10 01:00 PM
    choices for everyone, that is what rim is all about. at the end of the day, if consumers are happy that means rim has done their job.
    02-24-10 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD