Does anyone know if there are any apps out there that will automatically connect you to an open wifi network? So if I'm running around town and I lose one cafe's free wi-fi, I'm looking for an app that will then pick up the next free wi-fi signal without manual intervention.
    04-08-08 06:02 PM
    Yes, it is built in to the Wifi Diagnostics if you have a '20 device.

Site Survey reports signal strength from all available sources and security status.

It is buried a few levels in the Wifi Diagnostics.
    04-10-08 11:54 AM
    That sounds like it could be dangerous. I mean if you think about it, if you are driving around connecting to any open wifi, someone could easily set up a network to steal your data. It's unlikely that it would happen, but I am a little paranoid when it comes to something like that. You could connect to someone's network, not knowing who the operator is, and they could have malicious intent to intercept your phone call and data.
    04-10-08 12:18 PM

04-10-08 12:32 PM
    ... So if I'm running around town ...
    Wifi doesn't have the range to operate from a moving vehicle. You might spot one in passing, but you will not be in range long enough to use it.

If you are walking, a totally different story. I have used it to survey my typical route have have established connections in the open hot spots.

Sunkast raises an interesting point. It is possible for an intruder to set up a local hot spot and monitor your usage while connected. That scam has been used to access banking data.

I wish I could use Wifi to view my Curve, that would make it real part of my network.
    04-10-08 12:39 PM
    It is possible for an intruder to set up a local hot spot and monitor your usage while connected. That scam has been used to access banking data.
    Anyone silly enough to do online banking through an unsecured wireless network is...well, silly. .02cents
    04-23-08 09:52 PM
    I have several financial institution account and none of them can be accessed through my 'berry Browser, even though it does support HTTPS: connection.

If it were possible, the sensitive information (user, password) is never transmitted in the clear.

Still, the advise is good, keep your most vulnerable access to a hard wired line.
    04-25-08 10:20 AM
    Does anyone know if such an application exists? To be specific (since a few people didn't understand), the key point is that it automatically searches for and connects you to any unsecured wifi network. There would be no button-pressing involved. It would act as if you already configured the networks.

While I understand there are potential problems with this, I'm still curious if an application like it exists. It seems like it should be possible.
    07-03-08 06:54 PM
    No. Nobody knows...

I do not think this is possible and I have not heard of anything of the sorts!! This would require so much scanning and background processing that it would kill your batt life!

And I do not even know if this feature is readily available in PCs... To scan and auto-switch networks when out of range. Usually there needs to be some user interaction...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-08 12:25 AM
    There is nothing to do it automatically that i know of.
    PCs can be set to "use any available network" and will automatically connect to any wifi that they see. in fact it is usually the default setting...
    I wouldnt worry too much about security and data theft. as far as i know, the bb passes all its data back to rim servers through a vpn-like tunnel. whether this is encrypted or not i dont know, someday i will get around to inspecting the traffic as it goes over my home network.
    07-08-08 04:52 PM
    All you could do is probably just set up the networks you pick up along the way that way the next time you drive by it will switch over to them.

Other than that there is no way that you can get it to connect automatically to networks that are not in your wifi network list.
    07-10-08 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD