---------------------------------------
    Last edited by gurparit; 09-21-13 at 02:43 AM.
    04-24-12 01:19 PM
    They need to do something! Perception is reality...there has been such a negative slant in ALL media around BlackBerry and either the 'uncool' factor or the lack of apps, accessories, etc. This past weekend I went into a Radio Shack trying to find a replacement holster for my 9930 only to find a few types of blackberry cases on the shelf. No surprise there, but the Radio Shack employee..."ya, we don't have much BlackBerry stuff because they are going bankrupt." I was in too much of a rush to get into it with him to start spouting off their financials...most of which probably wouldn't have sunk in with this guy...but perception is reality and the BB Team better start changing perception now and NOT wait until BB10 comes out...how about a BB10 pre-release on the PB to start getting the community jazzed about what's coming??
    shemaree09 and mzceetee like this.
    04-24-12 01:31 PM
    thats awesome
    the xperia is a horrible phone
    bitek likes this.
    04-24-12 01:32 PM
    The ads on the side are simply chosen based on your personal browsing experience. It's not a concerted effort to advertise anti-BB. Facebook recognizes you seem to show an interest in tech, cell phones and BB in particular, and randomly select an ad.

I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer isn't on TV much anymore and because it's listed as one of my favorite shows, I get ads that promote Buffy. When I was planning my wedding all the side ads were wedding related and since then, there's been no wedding ads.

If I search for cases for my BB or my iPhone, I get ads for case companies at random for weeks after.

Again, it's simply based on YOUR browsing history. Jo Blow next to you will see totally different ads.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 04-24-12 at 01:35 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and plh121 like this.
    04-24-12 01:32 PM
    a) this has nothing to do with RIM
    b) if the xperia is dependent on bb conversions then good luck to them.. lol
    04-24-12 01:35 PM
    Marketing is key, but lately Blackberry has sooo much negativity towards the brand that they will need to do A LOT to change its perception.

I've only seen 1 other person with the Bold 9930. The other few Blackberry's I see are really old OS 5 devices.

Many people dont even know what OS 7 is or that they exist because carrier stores push how "awful" and "ancient" Blackberry is.

I honestly dont think BB10 devices will be enough to change the negative perception of Blackberry.
    04-24-12 01:35 PM
    They can't be everywhere all the time. Ads like these are here 1 time gone the next. Sad really from what i remember i hated my Xperia given to me by work and everyone else too and it ran WM 6.0 then too. I do love my work issued blackberry now and my personal playbook they work together great. Never looked at another tablet when i made my decision to go with a playbook never regretted either frustrated at times but no regrets.

Rick
    04-24-12 01:36 PM
    That bashing others to advertise never works IMHO
    04-24-12 02:34 PM
    Lack of RIM/BlackBerry advertising isn't helped by Anti-BlackBerry advertising in my opinion.

RIM should really sort this thing out.
    Those are contextual ads. What happens is the page is parsed and keywords filtered. Once they identify a targeted word they use it in a contextual ad. So for example if you signature said Blackberry For The Win AKA Blackberry FTW then the Sony ad grabs that and inserts the Blackberry term which is relevant to the Ad and there you go. Also know as Google Creepiness or if you or an Optimist you would term it optimization of advertising dollars. Just like when you open a Browser in NYC and go to MSN or Yahoo or Google you see ads how to beat speeding tickets in NYC or This stay at home Mom makes $5000 a week in Central Park or unlock the secret to the Acai Berry in Sunny Tropical Brooklyn, etc.

Me, I find them annoying. Gmail is where the seemed to appear first. In fact I believe Google owns or tried to apply for a patent [See Google Adwords].

So again it wasn't that Sony has a public campaign against Blackberry explicitly they would have inserted iPhone or Windows Phone if that was mentioned in a sig or profile or wall post on your FaceBook

Welcome to the world of "we know what you like even when we get it completely wrong!"
    Last edited by SaintThomasAquinas; 04-25-12 at 06:44 AM.
    JR A likes this.
    04-24-12 02:46 PM
    The ads on the side are simply chosen based on your personal browsing experience. It's not a concerted effort to advertise anti-BB. Facebook recognizes you seem to show an interest in tech, cell phones and BB in particular, and randomly select an ad.

I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer isn't on TV much anymore and because it's listed as one of my favorite shows, I get ads that promote Buffy. When I was planning my wedding all the side ads were wedding related and since then, there's been no wedding ads.

If I search for cases for my BB or my iPhone, I get ads for case companies at random for weeks after.

Again, it's simply based on YOUR browsing history. Jo Blow next to you will see totally different ads.
    I completely get what your saying to bad I didn't read your postbefore replying in kind but at least it can be argued Buffy was hot unlike the Xperia.
    04-24-12 02:48 PM
    a) this has nothing to do with RIM
    b) if the xperia is dependent on bb conversions then good luck to them.. lol
    Considering the last news about won't - they are needing it very bad
    04-24-12 02:58 PM
    I've been a big fan of Sony for a long time, even had an Ericsson at one time many years ago. I disagree with Fubaz, I actually like the new Xperia phone. I played with one for a little while the other day and I liked it on the surface. Screen looks incredibly good, phone was very fluid, camera was pretty sweet on it. I didn't like the phone itself much, to big for my tastes, and it felt kind of cheap and "plastic", plus the Android OS on it is old. I still thought it was pretty decent at first glance.

As for the adds, you see little adds with products attacking other products pretty frequently. As someone mentioned, Facebook mostly directs adds at you based on your browsing habbits, I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    04-24-12 03:02 PM
    That bashing others to advertise never works IMHO
    It does in U.S. politics!
    04-24-12 04:56 PM
    i tested the Xperia too, disliked it. The transparent strip at the bottom with lights are just gimicky. There's no real use to it. I kept trying to hit the buttons there, only to realise that it wasn't the buttons. It was above it. Waste of space if you ask me. Design over function.

a friend posted this picture on his facebook. But of course i just kept to myself. I know him for about 5 years + now and he has never owned a Blackberry in this period. haha.
    04-24-12 06:56 PM
    Oh you did not!
    Now I have a reason to drop Facebook.
    04-24-12 10:41 PM
    Sony's got more issues than RIM right now.
    04-25-12 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD