This may seem like a dumb question, but since flu season is upon us (or is it here now....swine flu?) what is the best way to disinfect my Berry? I was thinking maybe Clorox wipes or just alcohol, but I thought that might dull the finish or damage the screen after multiple applications. Any ideas on sanitizing the device? Thanks in advance!
    09-08-09 06:20 PM

jk! Free thread bump!
    09-08-09 06:26 PM
    Lysol...lol or there are antibacterial phone wipes
    09-08-09 06:27 PM
    This may seem like a dumb question, but since flu season is upon us (or is it here now....swine flu?) what is the best way to disinfect my Berry? I was thinking maybe Clorox wipes or just alcohol, but I thought that might dull the finish or damage the screen after multiple applications. Any ideas on sanitizing the device? Thanks in advance!
    Your concern is real and justified.

A research group did some studies recently and found that if you had to kiss an average cell phone or an average toilet seat, you'd be far better off kissing the toilet seat. The average cell phone is far filthier than the average toilet seat.

Indeed some cell phones are truly dangerous to even hold because they are so germ infested. Some people simply do not ever clean their phones.

There are several antibacterial agents out there that you might look into. I personally prefer Windex products but there are some here who react wildly to that recommendation and claim that Windex destroys the screen on your phone. I've never had any problems but to each their own.

Alcohol would probably be ok. There are also antibacterial computer wipes you can buy.

The only definite no-no is anything remotely abrasive. You don't want anything with any abrasive qualities because they will seriously damage the plastic casing and screen on your BlackBerry.

Whatever you use, the idea of cleaning your cell phone regularly is a very healthy and good idea. And avoid using anyone else's phone because ... well you just don't ever know where it and its owner have been.
    09-08-09 07:19 PM
    Just use alcohol prep pads.
    09-08-09 07:35 PM
    Your definitely smart in thinking about this. as this is fact. many people dont realize their phones touch everything and anything (tables, desks) i personally use Flents Wipe n clear wipes. It has alcohol in there, as well as an anti static. It disinfects very well and it doesnt cause the hazyness on the screen like straight rubbing alcohol would.. check it out .. Buy Flents Wipe 'N Clear Premoistened Tissues Online at drugstore.com
    09-08-09 07:50 PM
    Aren't we a bit paranoid? Why not wipe every door knob before you touch it? Why not wipe every spoon, fork and glass off before you touch them? You touch your shoes before you put them on, wipe those too. LOL Do you work out at the gym? Take 20/30 wipes for the gym while you are at it.

If you read those articles you will see that 99% of the germs are harmless. Lets keep the paranoia at a minimum.
    09-08-09 08:05 PM
    Unless you are in the habot of loaning out your BB, it seems a bit paranoid to sterilize it routinely. When you yourself are sick, you should clean it frequently to help prevent reinfection but the same holds true of your toothbrush and how many people actually replace that after an illness. Company and public phone...heck yeah wipe them down because sickies might be breathing or spitting on them but your own device...not so much.
    09-08-09 08:13 PM
    Be very VERY careful cleaning the screen if any liquid gets under the screen it can cause damage. I learned this the hard way and had to do an insurance claim.
    09-08-09 08:13 PM
    Aren't we a bit paranoid? Why not wipe every door knob before you touch it? Why not wipe every spoon, fork and glass off before you touch them? You touch your shoes before you put them on, wipe those too. LOL Do you work out at the gym? Take 20/30 wipes for the gym while you are at it.

If you read those articles you will see that 99% of the germs are harmless. Lets keep the paranoia at a minimum.
    I agree that there's no need to be paranoid about germs; but at this moment when the swine flu is so prevelant (and I attend a major university by the way) I really don't feel like bringing those germs that are on my phone from texting, letting others "click" the screen, others talk on it, etc. into my home. Don't be paranoid about it, but don't be stupid about it either. If doing something so simple as wiping down your screen/mouthpiece and washing your hands saves you money and a trip to the doctor, I don't call that paranoid. But then again if you want to get sick, then by all means, don't be cautious.
    Last edited by TaylorFox; 09-08-09 at 08:16 PM.
    09-08-09 08:14 PM
    09-08-09 08:22 PM
    Aren't we a bit paranoid?
    When a medical research group finds that the average cell phone is filthier than the average toilet seat, no I don't think anyone is being paranoid.
    09-08-09 08:22 PM
    I don't call that paranoid. But then again if you want to get sick, then by all means, don't be cautious.
    Would you let any stranger walking down the street take a drink out of your Coke can? Would you let any stranger walking down the street pick up your fork and take a bite of your lunch?

Let's not be nuts here. I don't suggest that people run around in paranoid delusions but the facts are that we're suspicious about doing the things above because there are risks associated with that behavior just as there are risks associated with using filthy cell phones.

Personally, I clean my cell phone every day and always have. And with darn few exceptions, no one uses my cell phone. My health, by the way, is outstanding and I never get ill.
    09-08-09 08:28 PM
    They are saying flip-flops are worse than all of them, but you don't see people getting sick from them. There are good germs, bad germs and germs we are used to being around. Once again, you don't see people dropping dead from their flip-flops or by touching their cellphones.

When a medical research group finds that the average cell phone is filthier than the average toilet seat, no I don't think anyone is being paranoid.
    09-08-09 08:30 PM
    Be very VERY careful cleaning the screen if any liquid gets under the screen it can cause damage. I learned this the hard way and had to do an insurance claim.
    Indeed.

You should never, never, never spray anything directly anywhere on your phone. Whatever spray you use, just shoot a few shots (3-5 sprays) into a COTTON towel and then use that to wipe down your phone.

Spraying your phone directly is a big no-no.
    09-08-09 08:31 PM
    They are saying flip-flops are worse than all of them, but you don't see people getting sick from them. There are good germs, bad germs and germs we are used to being around. Once again, you don't see people dropping dead from their flip-flops or by touching their cellphones.
    Actually I just washed my flip flops yesterday with an antibacterial soap. Imagine that!

And reality is you'll probably never have anyone else trying to borrow or use your flip flops. Puke, the idea is even disgusting. What a goofy comparison.

And no one suggested that you'd drop dead using a cell phone.

But answer this ... would you rather kiss a toilet seat or a cell phone? The researchers say the toilet seat is safer. Live your life the way you wish but let's knock off the judgements on those of us who aren't the risk taker you are.
    09-08-09 08:36 PM
    But answer this ... would you rather kiss a toilet seat or a cell phone? The researchers say the toilet seat is safer. Live your life the way you wish but let's knock off the judgements on those of us who aren't the risk taker you are.
    I'd rather kiss my cell phone. There is a good chance of getting menengitis from the fecal matter that is on your toilet seat that is NOT on your phone. The cell phone may have more germs on it, but the toilet seat has more deadly germs on it. The study does not tell you that.
    09-08-09 09:02 PM
    I'd rather kiss my cell phone. There is a good chance of getting menengitis from the fecal matter that is on your toilet seat that is NOT on your phone. The cell phone may have more germs on it, but the toilet seat has more deadly germs on it. The study does not tell you that.
    I suspect you are right that the research just measured the amount of filth and didn't break it down into "generic" filth versus "deadly" filth.

I think the smart approach is avoiding gook altogether, having a cleaning routine for your stuff and avoiding the need to use others' stuff.

All of this brings back memories of the 80s before cell phones were commonplace. I always hated the idea of needing to use pay phones. They were always so filthy.
    09-08-09 09:07 PM
    my carrier has a fairly big store near my house and in there they have a machine that in theory sterilizes the phone with some kind of uv light, does anyone know if this works or is just for show.... i do it every time i got past the store and thats at least 6 time a week...

might be just placebo, but i truly feel better i mean, its nothing to be paranoid, but other people use my phone from time to time, and as much as i like them, i wouldn't want the to spit in my face or rub my face against any table in a public location...

maybe a bit paranoid, but better safe than sorry...
    Last edited by BmerBBlover; 09-08-09 at 10:55 PM.
    09-08-09 10:52 PM
    While it is important to protect yourself, daily cleaning maybe a bit too extreme. Pick up some computer wipes at any computer store, and begin a weekly regime to lull away those bacterial fears.
    09-08-09 10:58 PM
    Alright ya'll here goes what I think, first off if you get the swine flu or any other bacterial infections that just sucks, then again you are not immortal so you cannot stay free from it for to long. Also if you get it well then its just your turn to get it, I really don't care what happens to me cause I understand I am a mortal human and death is around the corner 24/7 365. There is no way to escape the fate of death or sickness! Yes, you can clean your stuff and what not but remember you have more germs on you to combat those evil germs.

If this doesn't make sense well its cause I'm on pain killers!

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 11:06 PM
    Use nature best, sun shine

Just air your BB at an open sun for 5 min. The uv ray is a nature germ killer. Just make sure you cover the screen and takes the battery out and not to overheat it. After that just wipe with a dry clean cloth. Wash hands regularly.
    09-08-09 11:17 PM
    my carrier has a fairly big store near my house and in there they have a machine that in theory sterilizes the phone with some kind of uv light, does anyone know if this works or is just for show.... i do it every time i got past the store and thats at least 6 time a week...

might be just placebo, but i truly feel better i mean, its nothing to be paranoid, but other people use my phone from time to time, and as much as i like them, i wouldn't want the to spit in my face or rub my face against any table in a public location...

maybe a bit paranoid, but better safe than sorry...
    UV does kill germs but I imagine it only kills the germs on the visible surface and not those in the cracks and crevases. Allthough in this time of Swine Flu Hyped Paranoia it's a great idea for them to have a device like that.
    09-09-09 12:36 AM
    Wow, everyone loves to fear what they can't see. And I love quotes by researchers taken out of context.

Did you know there's staph infection in your shower?

Bubonic plague in wild animals?

I can make a list until my fingers bleed but I ain't gonna. The fact is these germs are all over you constantly. The only thing you do by applying anti bacterial anything is making the problem worse. You kill the weak ones, the filler as it were, and leave the strongest alive.

Look at what our wondrous medicines have done for TB.

I only wash something down if someone sick has touched it, otherwise I let my amazing immune system do what it was designed to do.

09-09-09 03:22 AM
    Wow, everyone loves to fear what they can't see. And I love quotes by researchers taken out of context.

Did you know there's staph infection in your shower?

Bubonic plague in wild animals?

I can make a list until my fingers bleed but I ain't gonna. The fact is these germs are all over you constantly. The only thing you do by applying anti bacterial anything is making the problem worse. You kill the weak ones, the filler as it were, and leave the strongest alive.

Look at what our wondrous medicines have done for TB.

I only wash something down if someone sick has touched it, otherwise I let my amazing immune system do what it was designed to do.

I agree with this. My ex once did a petri dish experiment on bacteria on dishes after being ran through a dishwasher. That thing was disgusting.

The truth is, germs are everywhere. Some are good, some are bad, and some just don't give a rat's **** that we exist. The toilet seat idea was a horrible example - the type of germs, as stated by someone else - are far worse than on my cell phone.

People spit when they talk, yes; how many of you talk to people that only wear a mask? I'm betting that you've swallowed the spit of the people that talk to you on a regular basis.

A cell phone is going to get general germs, i.e. ones that you'd get from anything else you touch, whether that's a keyboard (stay off Crackberry!), the can of cleanser (wonder how many germs are on the pump action itself of that Purell...), and even your wallet. But people don't always wash those. Why worry about a cell phone that only you handle 99% of the time?

And OP, I go to a large university as well; I rarely get sick.

I also never use anti-bacterial stuff. I wash my hands after the bathroom, usually. I shower mostly daily. I brush my teeth generally every day. Does this mean I should be sick 3, 4 times a year?

Because I'm only sick a few times per decade, if I'm unlucky.
    09-09-09 03:46 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD