Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    I don't like it either, but I've come to expect it at any retailer I go to...particularly from places like futureshop, where you will find all kinds of bad advice. As to telling them "to learn how to better serve..."....well that would depend on the EXACT circumstance, and nature of the interaction. Again, they may well be trying to help, and I wouldn't begrudge them that, as annoying as can be. In any case, you certainly have the right to not go to that store, and I'd encourage anyone unhappy to do just that!
    Yes, it would depend on the circumstances. That goes without saying. What I'm saying is that if I were in that exact circumstance, then I would feel as though the salesperson failed at their job. You sell what the customer wants, assuming it's in stock and whatnot. It's not hard. If you refuse to sell to the customer what they're looking for, then you should learn better service instead of putting your own interests ahead of the customer's.
    Now, if the customer doesn't know what they want, then you should assist them in finding out what they want, then sell them something you find suitable if you have anything. You would try to find out what the customer's looking for in a phone. Perhaps they swear by a physical keyboard. Perhaps they only need e-mail or Facebook and don't need a full data plan. Perhaps they don't plan on playing any games or downloading any apps. Would you then try to push this customer towards an iPhone or Android, while making false claims such as RIM going bankrupt? Is that "genuinely helping" a person? Or is that simply putting personal bias (or possibly commission) ahead of the needs of the customer?
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Yes, it would depend on the circumstances. That goes without saying. What I'm saying is that if I were in that exact circumstance, then I would feel as though the salesperson failed at their job. You sell what the customer wants, assuming it's in stock and whatnot. It's not hard. If you refuse to sell to the customer what they're looking for, then you should learn better service instead of putting your own interests ahead of the customer's.
    Outright refusal would indeed be an extreme and absurd case. In this case, (and in other anecdotes related on the forum) that doesn't seem to be what was claimed. In fact, the salesperson ended up suggesting he buy it online, which turned out to be quite helpful.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Now, if the customer doesn't know what they want, then you should assist them in finding out what they want, then sell them something you find suitable if you have anything. You would try to find out what the customer's looking for in a phone. Perhaps they swear by a physical keyboard. Perhaps they only need e-mail or Facebook and don't need a full data plan. Perhaps they don't plan on playing any games or downloading any apps.
    From my original post, which I then requoted in my last post:

I'd consider that guy to be completely irresponsible, unless there was a specific reason why the platform was the only one that could fulfill a need. .
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Would you then try to push this customer towards an iPhone or Android, while making false claims such as RIM going bankrupt? Is that "genuinely helping" a person? .
    Sigh....from my OP:
    I have no doubt there is a lot of anti-BB bias right now...but then...that also reflects popular opinion. (BB undoubtedly enjoyed pro-BB bias for a long time as well) I certainly don't condone misleading or made-up statements.
    HOWEVER, note that the OP said nothing about claims of RIM going bankrupt. That claim came from post made by a different individual.

Please, I ask that if you continue to reply to me, that you read my posts carefully and respond specifically to statements that I have made, as I am trying to do with your posts. I feel that your points are increasingly unfocused, and removed/disjointed from the original points; and moreover, you are attributing arguments/statements to me, that I never made, while simultaneously ignoring relevant statements I did make.
    CrackBerry Genius

You seem to be under the false impression that I'm responding to you and only you. However, the only part of your previous post that I'm replying to is the part which I quoted. Everything else you can simply consider a rant not directed at you, but at the particular kind of salespersons we're talking about here (me saying "you" is not directed at you, unless you coincidentally happen to be a salesperson, but perhaps it was a poor choice of words). Therefore, if you feel as though my statements are "unfocused", that would be why. I simply don't feel like bothering to break down and respond to every part of your post, as we agree on half the things anyways.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,169 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

I've switched my data plan with Tmo back and forth from Android to BB umpteen times. This used to require a phone call. Occasionally, when switching to BB data I'd get the question "Why would you want to do that?" That only happened a few times, and I'd just give the answer, "Because I want to use my BlackBerry," in case they thought there was some deep ulterior motive (maybe I had been abducted and was signalling for help). This was mildly annoying, but fortunately the data plan switch can now be done from the Tmo web site without having to call.

So far, there's no popup dialog box asking, "Why would you want to do that?"
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    I'm sorry to say it but I've experienced the same thing when I accompanied my wife to upgrade to a 9790 from her Pearl 3G.

Orange (now EE) UK shop:
    BlackBerry will be no more next year
    They are running out of business
    There are sooo much better phones then any BlackBerry
    You can't use Apple TV with a BlackBerry
    BlackBerrys are crap, I have an iPhone 5 now

Just a few samples of what he said ignoring my wife telling him she doesn't like touch screen and she doesn't do that much with a phone.

What I didn't know, and what you probably don't know yet either, is that you can report these people to Rim that apparently have a team for that.

I told one of the people I know at Rim and she subsequently took his name and said next day he'll get a call. I have no idea what happened after that though.
    Interesting, but how do we report them to RIM?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

Luckily, the main rep at my TELUS store is fairly neutral, she herself uses an iPhone 4(s?) but i've never seen her try to push someone towards or away from a device. If they asked what each could do, she would answer to the best of her knowledge. On the other hand, there's another rep who's a complete iOS fanboy.... but he got a playbook for full price when they were first released, and can't deny that it's better for their work environment than an iPad.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Genius

I don't think the bias at carrier stores is as pronounced here in Canada (or at least with the stores I've dealt with in Vancouver); or maybe it could be a Rogers thing. I've not had any sales reps second guess my purchasing decisions, although the last time I bought a phone was over a year ago...
    I'm with bell (whatever you do stay away from bell unless you need service in the middle of nowhere). When I went to get my new BB from bell, the sales lady just gave me a strange look like I was from outer space, sighed and said "are you sure? People are, like, running away from them" Apparently I'm not people to them. Oh wait that makes a lot of sense now. I've never been treated like a person at bell.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I hate to say it, but I don't know why anyone would use a BB phone in this environmental unless forced by their employer. They are all but obsolete compared to DROID, Ios, or even windows. They were too late to the touch screen game, and android stole most of their keyboard market.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,065 Global Posts

I think they need to achieve a certain target set by the store manager and that is why they are pushing a certain model over others. Or maybe they are getting higher margins on those phones or whatever.. Basically, they are sales people; they don't care what you buy. They just want to make as much money as possible

- Charles
    Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/cthaddeus

Phone History : Nokia 3310 > Nokia 8250 > Nokia 3320 > Nokia 7210 > Sony Ericsson T610i > Sony Ericsson W810i > Nokia E71 > Nokia E72 > Blackberry 9700 > Blackberry 9800 > Blackberry 9900 > Blackberry Q10

PDA History : Compaq iPAQ 3630 > Playbook 64GB > Google Nexus 7 16GB

"After 1 month of using my Samsung Galaxy S3, I am back to my Blackberry 9900. Physical keyboard rules!!"
    jakie55 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wireless providers are in business because they sell "air," not devices. As long as you are using a device on their respective network, an employee should be happy to have you as their customer.

Regarding your experience with Verizon specifically, those employees you dealt with are completely ignorant of the fact that Big Red always has been and (still is) a big supporter of RIM.
    Don't hate me because I have a BlackBerry:
    I love to communicate.
    I am efficient.
    I can type faster than you.
    Masahiro likes this.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    I stopped at a Verizon store yesterday and said I would like to make a retail purchase of a 9930. I have never been pushed against a device more than what I witnessed yesterday. It has "a slow processor, runs on our old network, nobody uses Blackberry, and it has no apps."

Basically she was going to do everything not to sell me the phone. The classic Verizon Droid push was on. I explained I have a GS3 and the iPhone already and I want the Blackberry for the keyboard and communication advantages.
    You really have to look at it from their point of view
    1. Blackberries are selling poorly on all 3 networks.
    2. No LTE. Verizon corporately does not have any urge to sell a non-LTE phone. I remember Verizon telling Microsoft that they would not sell any Wp phone that was not LTE compatible. As far as I know, the iPhone 4S is the only one that gets a waiver for obvious reasons.

3. Sorry to say this, but perhaps the return rate for the Blackberries is way too high for the 'no apps' reason. Sure, there are loads of apps in the BB Appworld, but they pale significantly in qualitty to their counterparts on iOS and Android....and most popular consumer games are not available. No Skype, no front facing camera, no Netflix, no instagram.

To quote the Godfather, "It's business, nothing personal"

Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    I really hope there is a concerted effort by RIM to overcome the negative marketing push by the people who are supposed to sell their phones. If not, BB10 will not succeed. I know enough about mobile devices to make my own decision, but I think most people getting that push simply walk go away from Blackberry.
    RIM is silent for good reason. There's little they can do to push the already dated OS7 devices. Dire app selection, sometimes spotty battery life, relatively slow processor, no popular games, no front facing camera, no LTE...the only thing RIM CAN and SHOULD do is release BB10 on time. Because for now, I cannot imagine recommending an OS7 device to a $299/$349 Nexus 4 to anyone who doesn't have a specific use-case that BB will fill (like BBM, security etc)
    Time Lord

Global Posts
    10,368 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    Was just in a local Rogers store today picking up my new phone. 3/4 employees in the store were using 9900's.
    My experience as well with Rogers and TELUS. On more than one occasion after being in the store and hearing reps interact with others, BlackBerry was among the suggestions for customers because it fitted exactly what they were looking for. Seems easy, sell people what fits their needs.. not what you THINK fits their needs. Despite those experiences though, I firmly believe something needs to be done with the retail agents who don't operate that way. It's easy to point the finger at RIM and say they need to address it but really, it's the carriers stores -- they need to address it with their employees.
    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Smartwatch Fans]
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77

I bought my used 9810 back in June, when we were possibly getting BB10 in October. I needed a 3g bbm capable phone, so I bought one. But then again, I knew what I wanted, did the research, and got a reasonably fast processor, and reasonable amount of ram, for a BB os7.1 device. I surely can understand the crowd who just want something new and shiny and better than....could be easily swayed.

John
    Q 10 for the win!
    (WHITE Z 10, on 10.2.1.537 and Nexus 4, both sold)
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi
    Galaxy tab P 1000 with cyanagen 9
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_berry View Post
    I'm with bell (whatever you do stay away from bell unless you need service in the middle of nowhere).
    Just remember, BELL and TELUS share the same service map, but TELUS has customer service.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    Thanked by:
    eddy_berry (11-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

With rogers if you own a bb and you have more dropped calls its because "blackberry's are crap" those were the words from the rep.

Can't wait for BB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    I hate to say it, but I don't know why anyone would use a BB phone in this environmental unless forced by their employer. They are all but obsolete compared to DROID, Ios, or even windows. They were too late to the touch screen game, and android stole most of their keyboard market.
    You *do* realize that Crackberry is a BlackBerry fan site, don't you?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12