Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree21Likes
  1. mush10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    I have gone back and forth in my Blackberry usage over the last few years. There is a part of me that cannot stay away, but a part that recognizes how far behind they they. I am very hopeful Blackberry 10 brings me back as a loyal user. Currently I jump between Android and iOS mostly. However, I have ended up traveling a lot more in a new role and decided I need a Blackberry keyboard for pounding emails out on the road and in airports.

    I stopped at a Verizon store yesterday and said I would like to make a retail purchase of a 9930. I have never been pushed against a device more than what I witnessed yesterday. It has "a slow processor, runs on our old network, nobody uses Blackberry, and it has no apps."

    Basically she was going to do everything not to sell me the phone. The classic Verizon Droid push was on. I explained I have a GS3 and the iPhone already and I want the Blackberry for the keyboard and communication advantages.

    I really hope there is a concerted effort by RIM to overcome the negative marketing push by the people who are supposed to sell their phones. If not, BB10 will not succeed. I know enough about mobile devices to make my own decision, but I think most people getting that push simply walk go away from Blackberry.

    I know this story is replayed here at Crackberry from time to time, but figured I add my first hand experience. The only good thing about it was she mentioned the certified Pre-owned on the website and I just took delivery of a 9930 for $359 that I ordered online instead of from the store.


    --Posted via Tapatalk--
  2. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    55,779 Posts
    Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Verizon doesn't want to sell anything that isn't LTE other than you get a pass iPhone.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
  3. pantlesspenguin's Avatar

    Posts
    5,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #3  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    I encountered this when I was simply switching from an HTC Rezound to a 9930. I called up customer care to tell them I wanted to switch my service over (both devices were already paid for, mind you) and the rep was asking me all kinds of questions about why I'd want to go from one of their flagship Android devices (at the time) to a 9930. I mentioned wanting to take it on bikerides and not have to worry as much about dropping it as I would my Rezound. The associate then started saying "Well you could always get a case...blah blah blah." Finally I just had to shut her up and tell her to switch my service over. It was ridiculous. They BETTER the heck change their tune once BB10 comes out.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    kbz1960 likes this.
  4. fbf2012's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    118 Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Total bs...Well, Its BLACKBERRY againts the world! Everyday at my office co-workers keep making fun of me because i am the only one sticking it out with my 9900 and they are rocking their driod and iphones. I tell them wait till next year then we will see. BB1O please don't dissappoint.
    Thanked by:
    gonz561 (11-08-2012) 
    gonz561, mrzeolite, bb624 and 1 others like this.
  5. TgeekB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,119 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,391 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    I feel lucky that I have never experienced this at my local AT&T store. They always help me with what I need without bias.
    qbnkelt likes this.
  6. iBuilder's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,128 Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    There's still some stores that are "anti-BlackBerry". Just a few weeks ago a friend stopped in a store for a billing question, and the rep noted that her and her sister each had a Storm2. He proceded to inform her that BlackBerries would soon no longer work on Verizon since RIM "is in foreclosure and won't be making new phones". My friend doesn't like her Storm2 nor has any love for RIM, but even she thought that was a bit extreme.

    On a side note, I do find it quite amusing that even though she claims not to like her Storm2 she's had it since Dec '09, well past her upgrade and MANY new releases.
    shemaree09 and kbz1960 like this.
  7. mithrazor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,081 Posts
    PIN
    2B1BC93C
    #7  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Well with BB10 you can cross out "has a slow proccessor", you can also cross out, "runs on our old network", but the has no apps is just plain wrong.

    But with BB10 the quality of apps would be much better so I guess you can half cross it out.

    Now no one using a BB is the only reason left.

    Well, it's up to the person to decide to get what everyone else has. Or if they can make up their own mind.

    Or better yet, if RIM can market the device well enough for people to want the BB device.
  8. pantlesspenguin's Avatar

    Posts
    5,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #8  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    I feel lucky that I have never experienced this at my local AT&T store. They always help me with what I need without bias.
    Same with T-Mo. They still have the 9900 and 9810 proudly on display.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    I feel lucky that I have never experienced this at my local AT&T store. They always help me with what I need without bias.

    Same with me. My AT&T store is awesome.
    Never any problems.

    Verizon, on the other hand, always looked down their collective noses at me when I bought my BBs. Or when I got accessories for them. They literally turned off the instant I mentioned BB.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  10. madman0141's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,801 Posts
    PIN
    666
    #10  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    I feel lucky that I have never experienced this at my local AT&T store. They always help me with what I need without bias.
    I am sure they do since you have to pay to bridge with them its free elsewhere.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
  11. madman0141's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,801 Posts
    PIN
    666
    #11  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    I have gone back and forth in my Blackberry usage over the last few years. There is a part of me that cannot stay away, but a part that recognizes how far behind they they. I am very hopeful Blackberry 10 brings me back as a loyal user. Currently I jump between Android and iOS mostly. However, I have ended up traveling a lot more in a new role and decided I need a Blackberry keyboard for pounding emails out on the road and in airports.

    I stopped at a Verizon store yesterday and said I would like to make a retail purchase of a 9930. I have never been pushed against a device more than what I witnessed yesterday. It has "a slow processor, runs on our old network, nobody uses Blackberry, and it has no apps."

    Basically she was going to do everything not to sell me the phone. The classic Verizon Droid push was on. I explained I have a GS3 and the iPhone already and I want the Blackberry for the keyboard and communication advantages.

    I really hope there is a concerted effort by RIM to overcome the negative marketing push by the people who are supposed to sell their phones. If not, BB10 will not succeed. I know enough about mobile devices to make my own decision, but I think most people getting that push simply walk go away from Blackberry.

    I know this story is replayed here at Crackberry from time to time, but figured I add my first hand experience. The only good thing about it was she mentioned the certified Pre-owned on the website and I just took delivery of a 9930 for $359 that I ordered online instead of from the store.


    --Posted via Tapatalk--
    Great post OP and as you said they push against RIM products but we all know that retail sales people are not what you should base your decision on.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by madman0141 View Post
    I am sure they do since you have to pay to bridge with them its free elsewhere.
    Interesting perspective. I haven't got a PB so that additional fee doesn't apply to me.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  13. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,431 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #13  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    I'm sorry to say it but I've experienced the same thing when I accompanied my wife to upgrade to a 9790 from her Pearl 3G.

    Orange (now EE) UK shop:
    BlackBerry will be no more next year
    They are running out of business
    There are sooo much better phones then any BlackBerry
    You can't use Apple TV with a BlackBerry
    BlackBerrys are crap, I have an iPhone 5 now

    Just a few samples of what he said ignoring my wife telling him she doesn't like touch screen and she doesn't do that much with a phone.


    What I didn't know, and what you probably don't know yet either, is that you can report these people to Rim that apparently have a team for that.

    I told one of the people I know at Rim and she subsequently took his name and said next day he'll get a call. I have no idea what happened after that though.
  14. arrodiii's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #14  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    Same with T-Mo. They still have the...9810 proudly on display.
    I thought that the 9810 was discontinued a while back? I haven't seen one available in any of the T-Mo stores near me
  15. pantlesspenguin's Avatar

    Posts
    5,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #15  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by arrodiii View Post
    I thought that the 9810 was discontinued a while back? I haven't seen one available in any of the T-Mo stores near me
    Well come to think of it I haven't been there for a few months (this was in July), it just seems like it was sooner than that. So I guess I spoke too soon when I said they "still display" them. I don't know if that's currently true. I just know that there have been reports of Verizon reps badmouthing BB's long prior to that.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
  16. mush10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    It makes me wonder if Verizon plans to carry BB10 at launch.


    --Posted via Tapatalk--
  17. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    Same with T-Mo. They still have the 9900 and 9810 proudly on display.
    Was just in a local Rogers store today picking up my new phone. 3/4 employees in the store were using 9900's.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  18. thecsman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    653 Posts
    #18  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by fbf2012 View Post
    Total bs...Well, Its BLACKBERRY againts the world! Everyday at my office co-workers keep making fun of me because i am the only one sticking it out with my 9900 and they are rocking their driod and iphones. I tell them wait till next year then we will see. BB1O please don't dissappoint.
    Rocking to what? Taking pictures of their lunch and posting them on Instagram? Who cares.

    Instead you are frantically exchanging messages and consuming valuable information for the next big move in your life. BlackBerry people do.
    Thanked by:
    gonz561 (11-08-2012) 
    gonz561 and leehardballer12 like this.
  19. Bobcat665's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    395 Posts
    #19  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    It seems to me that Verizon is trying to move on from selling older CDMA devices anymore AND BlackBerry, as yet, doesn't have any newer LTE devices for then to sell. Others carriers don't really have that problem seeing as HSDPA is still relatively up to snuff as far as networking technologies go. It so happens, then, that HSDPA BlackBerrys aren't overly obsolete yet. Yes, CDMA is practically as good as dead... There's a reason why all Canadian carriers no longer have anything to do with selling brand new CDMA equipment anymore...
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
  20. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,265 Posts
    #20  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    Was just in a local Rogers store today picking up my new phone. 3/4 employees in the store were using 9900's.
    I don't think the bias at carrier stores is as pronounced here in Canada (or at least with the stores I've dealt with in Vancouver); or maybe it could be a Rogers thing. I've not had any sales reps second guess my purchasing decisions, although the last time I bought a phone was over a year ago...
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  21. Dj Teknision's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    #21  

    Default Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    I never go into an actual store to purchase a phone. I am an online purchaser only. I know what I want and need no one to sell me anything.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
  22. TgeekB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,119 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,391 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madman0141 View Post
    I am sure they do since you have to pay to bridge with them its free elsewhere.
    Not if you have the right bridge app.
    hpjrt likes this.
  23. richardat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,323 Posts
    #23  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Salesman are human beings and carry all kinds of bias....I don't think there is a salesman code that demands they be impartial LOL. In addition, they of course have business interests in mind (themselves and their stores).

    I have no doubt there is a lot of anti-BB bias right now...but then...that also reflects popular opinion. (BB undoubtedly enjoyed pro-BB bias for a long time as well) I certainly don't condone misleading or made-up statements.

    Now having said all of that.................................I don't THINK they should encourage anybody to buy a BB right now....especially the newbs or the uninformed! Honestly...why would they? It's a platform that's at a complete end! Few have goodwill towards it now, and there will surely not be much future support/apps for it. Even the most faithful here, who also believe strongly that BB10 will be a rousing success are....indeed....waiting on pins and needles for BB10, and trying to hold off buying another current BB!!

    I certainly wouldn't tell the average person (unless they have specific reason for which current BB is advantageous) to buy one! If a friend who didnt' know what he was talking about, or didn't know what she wanted went to the store, and came back with a BB07 device because the salesman convinced them to go that way, I'd consider that guy to be completely irresponsible, unless there was a specific reason why the platform was the only one that could fulfill a need.

    Love BB, Hate BB....the fact is, it's the absolute end of the life-cycle for the old platform (at least in North America).
  24. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,265 Posts
    #24  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    Now having said all of that.................................I don't THINK they should encourage anybody to buy a BB right now....especially the newbs or the uninformed!
    This thread is not about whether salespersons should encourage people to buy BlackBerrys right now, but rather about informed buyers telling salespersons exactly what they want and having to deal with being second-guessed and told to buy something else. "Ethical" or not, if that happened to me, I'd tell them to learn how to better serve the customer and never go to that store again.

    As for why anyone would buy a BlackBerry right now, is there any other smartphone on the market that offers unlimited e-mail or instant messaging without having to get a full data plan? Is there any other smartphone with a good physical keyboard? Some people actually have their reasons for buying what they want to buy.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  25. richardat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,323 Posts
    #25  

    Default Re: Another Hard Sell Against Blackberry Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    This thread is not about whether salespersons should encourage people to buy BlackBerrys right now, but rather about informed buyers telling salespersons exactly what they want and having to deal with being second-guessed and told to buy something else.
    The following from the OP seem to suggest otherwise to me:

    Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    IIf not, BB10 will not succeed. I know enough about mobile devices to make my own decision, but I think most people getting that push simply walk go away from Blackberry. --
    However, if it is ONLY about salespeople second-guessing informed buyers, then that is a bit of a no-go issue in my opinion. They may genuinely be trying to help/guide the consumer, and since many of the people they see will not be informed, it's not surprising that they may try to "warn" the consumer if they see them going for a product they wouldn't recommend. In any case, it's much less of an issue for the informed consumer who is sure about what they want, for them, it is, at worst, a mere hassle. It can easily be ended by simply saying politely but firmly: "no, I've made up my mind, thank for the info, but I'd like _________ please."

    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    "Ethical" or not, if that happened to me, I'd tell them to learn how to better serve the customer and never go to that store again.
    I don't like it either, but I've come to expect it at any retailer I go to...particularly from places like futureshop, where you will find all kinds of bad advice. As to telling them "to learn how to better serve..."....well that would depend on the EXACT circumstance, and nature of the interaction. Again, they may well be trying to help, and I wouldn't begrudge them that, as annoying as can be. In any case, you certainly have the right to not go to that store, and I'd encourage anyone unhappy to do just that!


    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    As for why anyone would buy a BlackBerry right now, is there any other smartphone on the market that offers unlimited e-mail or instant messaging without having to get a full data plan? Is there any other smartphone with a good physical keyboard? Some people actually have their reasons for buying what they want to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    , I'd consider that guy to be completely irresponsible, unless there was a specific reason why the platform was the only one that could fulfill a need.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Orange suspend selling the Blackberry Bold!!!!
    By Jimmyuk in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 12:03 AM
  2. amazing blackberry stories
    By macgyver2 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 02:13 PM
  3. Hard Case For Blackberry
    By Pamelaperez87 in forum BBOS Phone Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 09:54 PM
  4. Need another directory on my Blackberry
    By rpierce in forum Business Users
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM
  5. Seidio Rubberized Hard Case for BlackBerry 8800
    By BigB in forum BBOS Phone Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Posting Permissions