Sorry to add to the pile of questions....(and sorry for being a newb)

I'm wondering why I can't get the GPS to work on my STORM with google maps.

It's turned on, and it works fine with VZ navigator....but no luck on Google maps..

can anyone shed light onto this?

Thanks
    12-08-08 01:09 AM
    Welcome to CB. Its because Google maps isn't quite ready for use with the Storm.
    12-08-08 01:27 AM
    Welcome to CB. Its because Google maps isn't quite ready for use with the Storm.
    True, but the question remains did VZW unlock the GPS for all apps or just for BB Maps and VZ Nav to use.
    12-08-08 08:25 AM
    JRS points this out there.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/cla...ml#post1107723
    12-08-08 08:56 AM
    The GPS is unlocked and has worked for other programs. Google maps just isn't ready yet.
    12-08-08 07:26 PM
    The GPS is unlocked and has worked for other programs. Google maps just isn't ready yet.
    Can you expand on this?

I keep reading that the GPS is unlocked, and I have GPS turned on (icon shows, and I can search for Sats in BBMaps); however nothing is ever found.

I've left the phone outside, open to the sky for over an hour.. nothing. I drove with it on my dash (near my Garmin) for 8 hours with it searching for sats... yep, nothing.

Not sure what the deal is... but IF it works, I'd love it. I'm guessing I'm missing something, and being new to BB's... well, I don't know what else I might need to do.
    12-09-08 12:09 AM
    Can you expand on this?

I keep reading that the GPS is unlocked, and I have GPS turned on (icon shows, and I can search for Sats in BBMaps); however nothing is ever found.

I've left the phone outside, open to the sky for over an hour.. nothing. I drove with it on my dash (near my Garmin) for 8 hours with it searching for sats... yep, nothing.

Not sure what the deal is... but IF it works, I'd love it. I'm guessing I'm missing something, and being new to BB's... well, I don't know what else I might need to do.
    In Options | Advanced |GPS, do you have "GPS Services" set to "Location On?" If it's set for "911 Only," BBMaps won't take advantage of the GPS.
    12-09-08 08:23 AM
    Can you expand on this?
    Google Maps is not ready for the Storm's GPS, yet.

Trapster, GPSed, and Nav4All have all been confirmed (I have tested them personally also) as working with the GPS chip on the Storm.

Despite VZW claiming that the aGPS (a quicker, more accurate chip) being locked solely to BB Maps and VZW Nav, I have got pinpoint locks on my location in less than 15 seconds every time, much faster than BB Maps has ever got me.

Read them all, they are very informative and have alot of troubleshooting tips inside

Please check out the other threads on this topic here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/100...apster-103436/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/gps-google-maps-98924/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/gps...-vznav-101229/
    Last edited by dms936; 12-09-08 at 02:31 PM. Reason: can't spell
    12-09-08 02:31 PM
    dms...

Which GPS program do you think works the best after having tested them all??
    12-10-08 06:44 PM
    A-GPS in theory should be quicker, simply because of how GPS was designed. A-GPS relies on the carriers network so they should/are entitled to charge for this as it is a service.

That said, regular GPS takes time to aquire a lock, there is plenty of info as to why this is on the net so I won't bore everyone by rehashing it here, that is only if it doesn't already have the GPS chip running, but running the GPS chip is expensive in terms of battery life, so if you aren't worried about battery life it's easy to keep the GPS chip running and have the location be almost immediately accessible to any app.
    12-10-08 08:21 PM
    Help me out here. I've been with verizon for a few yrs now and have used Treo's and a Curve ( just got Storm). I have used Google maps and Livesearch on all past phones using a Blue tooth GPS receiver and the live search worked great no issues. google maps did not track very well and frooze. Last night i down loaded Live search to my Storm and it will not open. It downloaded successfully and shows in program files, but it will not open. I did find however (after being told by Verizon support it wouldn't work) that the internal GPS can be used with BB maps, this is a 1st!!! Are they now blocking 3rd party mapping programs?
    12-16-08 04:22 AM
    They aren't blocking any programs. Live search isn't compatible with the storm
    12-16-08 06:15 AM
    In Options | Advanced |GPS, do you have "GPS Services" set to "Location On?" If it's set for "911 Only," BBMaps won't take advantage of the GPS.
    Total newbie here - got the phone yesterday, 1st time smartphone user. How do I get to "Options"???

I'm really not sure what I can do with the GPS
    12-16-08 11:15 PM
    options is the little wrench icon on your homescreen.
    12-17-08 10:47 AM
    dms...

Sorry, I was on vacation.

I really do like Nav4All, yes its clunky but it gets the job done for free.

I do really like the idea of Trapster also, but it needs some help in its implementation (can't mark a trap unless you stop there in my experience)

AmazeGPS has not worked on my Storm yet
    Same for LiveSearch (but Trapster uses LiveSearch engine I see?)
    VZW Navigator SUCKS not just because its paid but because of its data timeouts and such.

Haven't seen anything else that i haven't mentioned for the storm

A-GPS in theory should be quicker, simply because of how GPS was designed. A-GPS relies on the carriers network so they should/are entitled to charge for this as it is a service.

That said, regular GPS takes time to aquire a lock, there is plenty of info as to why this is on the net so I won't bore everyone by rehashing it here, that is only if it doesn't already have the GPS chip running, but running the GPS chip is expensive in terms of battery life, so if you aren't worried about battery life it's easy to keep the GPS chip running and have the location be almost immediately accessible to any app.
    Agreed, but I am still getting near-instant GPS locks with aGPS disabled (being outside is a must to get a quick lock indoors just doesn't find its sats
    Last edited by dms936; 12-17-08 at 11:13 PM.
    12-17-08 11:10 PM
    I have a question. I'm looking at GPSed for the Blackberry and according to the website it's not supported for the Storm yet. Which version are you using, dms936, and does it work well?
    12-18-08 11:24 AM
    I have a question. I'm looking at GPSed for the Blackberry and according to the website it's not supported for the Storm yet. Which version are you using, dms936, and does it work well?
    I am using the Bold version (technically the GPSed blackberry versions for 8xxx phones and the Bold are all the same)

With compatibility mode disabled the app works quite well. Can upload tracks to the website, and pull the KML files off my phone as well.
    12-18-08 11:34 AM
    Thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to trying it out while I'm out geocaching.
    12-18-08 12:53 PM
    I am using the Bold version (technically the GPSed blackberry versions for 8xxx phones and the Bold are all the same)

With compatibility mode disabled the app works quite well. Can upload tracks to the website, and pull the KML files off my phone as well.
    same here..
    12-19-08 04:17 PM
    dms...

I like Garwin, but you have to pay for it. The only thing missing is the sat view. As for a Gps, it works very well. Sorry Google, I couldn't wait <grin>
    05-10-09 08:02 PM
    i have installed google maps 3.2.0 but everytime i try to open it, it always loading for a while then close by it self. who know what is the problem and can anybody tell me how to solve it?? i hae try to delete then download it again, and the same problem occur. HELPPPPPPP
    05-19-09 11:18 AM
    My google maps is working fine, updates my location and always within 3 meters by 10-15 second of opening if I am outdoors.
    05-22-09 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD