Thanks for reading this, i'm sure you're fed up with so many similar posts from Noobs...!

Yesterday I bought a Blackberry 9700 for my Mother-In-Law on Vodafone UK with no data plan on the contract.

I am charged with setting it all up but am struggling with Wi-Fi. I have read the set-up guide stickied on this forum and followed it to the letter. It is connected correctly and didn't seem hard to do so.

But... The Wi-Fi icon on the home screen is greyed out and no Network name is displayed by it. From the manual I believe the icon should be white and the network name displayed.

On the manage connections page, the Wi-Fi option displays the network name as if it is connected, but the check box has a hyphen in it, very much suggesting it is not going to work... The Mobile Network option has a tick, I assume this is where my issue is and I should expect a tick on Wi-Fi.

I am out of ideas now. The Wi-Fi router is definitely working, I'm on a computer using it now. It is a Linksys router, to my knowledge a decent brand and i'm using WEP security. I've deleted the original Wi-Fi profile and entered it again with no apparent problems, but the same issue.

The Blackberry is on the latest OS, I updated all of that yesterday.

Thanks for any help you may offer.
    01-24-10 03:48 AM
    Hi,
    Just a couple of suggestions. This is how I have mine set up.

Under: Manage Connections/Wi-Fi options/<your profile>/Edit
    Does your Wi-Fi router have security enabled? If so, have you entered an access key?
    I have Connection Mode set to "Automatic", and have checked the "Automatically obtain IP address and DNS" option.

BTW, I have a fairly new router and used Push Button Setup, then tweaked the setting slightly.

I hope you get it sorted soon.
    Craig
    01-24-10 04:14 AM
    Hi,
    Just a couple of suggestions. This is how I have mine set up.

Under: Manage Connections/Wi-Fi options/<your profile>/Edit
    Does your Wi-Fi router have security enabled? If so, have you entered an access key?
    I have Connection Mode set to "Automatic", and have checked the "Automatically obtain IP address and DNS" option.

BTW, I have a fairly new router and used Push Button Setup, then tweaked the setting slightly.

I hope you get it sorted soon.
    Craig
    Thanks Craig.

I have entered the access key and it said the profile was set up correctly. Seemed an easy process...

The settings are as you wrote.

I'll give the Push Button Setup a go soon when they get back... I looked up what that was and thought it didn't apply as I have a new router with standard WEP security.
    01-24-10 05:37 AM
    Thanks Craig.

I have entered the access key and it said the profile was set up correctly. Seemed an easy process...

The settings are as you wrote.

I'll give the Push Button Setup a go soon when they get back... I looked up what that was and thought it didn't apply as I have a new router with standard WEP security.
    I can't use Push Button Setup. I've reset the router and deleted and added the wireless profile again. Once again, the connection was successful but there is still a hyphen in the check box where I would expect to see a tick...

When we bought the phone, the store manager said something about us not being able to use MMS because of the plan she is on, anyone know why this is and if it's linked in any way to why Wi-Fi is not working?

I'm fairly confident it's not a Wi-Fi connection issue as such...

Phoning Vodafone now, but if anyone else can help, please do.

Thanks
    01-24-10 07:47 AM
    I think you're right about the plan she is on.
    I just set up wi-fi on my old phone (8320) without a SIM. It connects to my router OK, but the wi-fi icon is grey and there is a hyphen in the connection list.
    I can, however, use the browser as long as "hotspot browser" is selected on the configuration page.

HTH
    Craig
    01-24-10 12:30 PM
    I think you're right about the plan she is on.
    I just set up wi-fi on my old phone (8320) without a SIM. It connects to my router OK, but the wi-fi icon is grey and there is a hyphen in the connection list.
    I can, however, use the browser as long as "hotspot browser" is selected on the configuration page.

HTH
    Craig
    I've been able to use the browser (presumably not on Wi-Fi) before and after hotspot browser was selected, so it's still a mystery. During a conversation with Vodafone, they mentioned she would not be able to use Messenger etc unless the plan was upgraded, but that we could browse for 50p a day max charge.

I've never known that to affect Wi-Fi usage though!

Thanks again for your input, still confused.....
    01-24-10 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD