So, this evening I was at the head of the cashier queue at a Loblaws (major grocery chain in Canada) and had my trusty sidekick with me - my BlackBerry Z10. The cashier was a guy about 19 years old, and he was being trained by a guy about the same age.

I presented my Z10 for the points card (PC Plus app), which he scanned, as expected. Next, he asked how I'd like to pay and I replied that I'd like to pay via visa. I had my phone out and wasn't making any moves to get a visa card out. Both of the guys were looking at me waiting for me to pull out my card, as if I was having mental issues, haha. The cashier was waiting to activate the debit machine, so I repeated that I'd like to pay with visa. He said ok and activated the machine.

When I held my phone against the machine, one of the guys said, "wait, huh?" A second later, the payment processed. Instantly, both of them started saying things like, "Whoa! That's so cool!", "I'm actually very impressed by that!" "Wait, was that your phone itself doing that?!", etc. I told them it's the new BlackBerry and it has the chip built in (I gave them the layman's version). They both said it was very cool.

As I was leaving, the trainer said, "BlackBerry's making a comeback!"

Needless to say, I left with a smile.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:15 PM
    Wish we could do that here in the States. I did have two teens at the checkout drill me on my Z10. They were impressed with the features. The sad thing is where would they be able to get one, or find an objective sales rep at a carrier.

Awesome story and thank u for sharing!

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    scrapmetal58 and lift like this.
    10-07-14 08:17 PM
    When you pay through your Z10, does it charge a fee?
    10-07-14 08:30 PM
    Should have told them It was an old Blackberry and that all the new ones can do the same. Then wait for the explosion.
    10-07-14 08:36 PM
    BlackBerry is rising up..

From my ? phone.
    10-07-14 08:44 PM
    Cool! Can I ask, how were you able to pay with your phone? Is it through a specific bank app and NFC sim?
    10-07-14 08:51 PM
    When you pay through your Z10, does it charge a fee?
    Nope, free.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:52 PM
    Cool! Can I ask, how were you able to pay with your phone? Is it through a specific bank app and NFC sim?
    Yes, CIBC and Rogers NFC enabled sim.

Posted via CB10
    Nayalm and lift like this.
    10-07-14 08:53 PM
    You should go into an apple store and buy something.. would blow their little minds.
    10-07-14 08:59 PM
    I am going to see if I can get my Scotiabank Visa and Telus SIM to work on my Z30. Z30 isn't listed in the available devices but maybe it will work?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 09:08 PM
    Nice story dude

#BBFactCheck
    10-07-14 09:11 PM
    I love the expressions of the cashiers.

At Tim Hortons you have to say that you're paying with the Tim card even though you don't have one (They just need to know what to press)

Very often I'm standing and smiling with my phone and I have to do the whole "Oh yeah..looking for my wallet.." thing just to get them to react. It's easier than explaining.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 09:11 PM
    Scotia isn't capable, only cibc abd maybe td. Telus has an nfc sim card that you need to get, buy one and call Telus, they will credit you if you ask

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.1.396
    10-07-14 09:21 PM
    I love the expressions of the cashiers.

At Tim Hortons you have to say that you're paying with the Tim card even though you don't have one (They just need to know what to press)

Very often I'm standing and smiling with my phone and I have to do the whole "Oh yeah..looking for my wallet.." thing just to get them to react. It's easier than explaining.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, same here. I'm known at two Tim Hortons for paying with my BlackBerry. I joke sometimes with my buddy and say "let's Apple pay this".

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 09:22 PM
    I'm surprised they don't have this working on the Z30, I hope it will work on the Passport like it does on the Z10.

So, this evening I was at the head of the cashier queue at a Loblaws (major grocery chain in Canada) and had my trusty sidekick with me - my BlackBerry Z10. The cashier was a guy about 19 years old, and he was being trained by a guy about the same age.

I presented my Z10 for the points card (PC Plus app), which he scanned, as expected. Next, he asked how I'd like to pay and I replied that I'd like to pay via visa. I had my phone out and wasn't making any moves to get a visa card out. Both of the guys were looking at me waiting for me to pull out my card, as if I was having mental issues, haha. The cashier was waiting to activate the debit machine, so I repeated that I'd like to pay with visa. He said ok and activated the machine.

When I held my phone against the machine, one of the guys said, "wait, huh?" A second later, the payment processed. Instantly, both of them started saying things like, "Whoa! That's so cool!", "I'm actually very impressed by that!" "Wait, was that your phone itself doing that?!", etc. I told them it's the new BlackBerry and it has the chip built in (I gave them the layman's version). They both said it was very cool.

As I was leaving, the trainer said, "BlackBerry's making a comeback!"

Needless to say, I left with a smile.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 09:29 PM
    Scotia isn't capable, only cibc abd maybe td. Telus has an nfc sim card that you need to get, buy one and call Telus, they will credit you if you ask

Do you mean with the Z30, or that Scotia doesn't support mobile payments? Just checking, because their app supports mobile payments.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 09:51 PM
    Do you mean with the Z30, or that Scotia doesn't support mobile payments? Just checking, because their app supports mobile payments.

Posted via CB10
    I use Scotia and cibc apps but cibc has a special app for this purpose. Scotia not that I am aware of. Cibc works, tims works both on my Q10.

10-07-14 09:54 PM
    I'm actually considering getting an RBC credit card just so I can try this out on my Virgin Mobile Z10. I wish it worked with a card I already have. I have to dig for my credit cards but my phone is always in hand. If would be convenient.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:18 PM
    I gotta say that most of these stories about amazement, etc from non BlackBerry people borderline on cheesy but hahah hope it's for the better of blackberry

OG Mexican with Z10 on CB10
    10-07-14 10:40 PM
    I use Scotia and cibc apps but cibc has a special app for this purpose. Scotia not that I am aware of. Cibc works, tims works both on my Q10.

My Scotiabank app has a mobile wallet section. Make sure you have the latest update. It's at the bottom when you first open the app.

Another BlackBerry Happy Moment-img_20141008_015224.png
    Attachment 304019
    Attachment 304020
    Attachment 304021
    10-08-14 12:53 AM
    Wish we could do that here in the States. I did have two teens at the checkout drill me on my Z10. They were impressed with the features. The sad thing is where would they be able to get one, or find an objective sales rep at a carrier.

Awesome story and thank u for sharing!

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    Tell them to use Shop BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:54 AM
    I have a Bell Z30. In Blackberry World, the Z30 is not supported for mobile payments by CIBC (but supports Bell), Scotiabank supports the Z30 (but not on Bell), TD (no mobile payment for BB10 devices)

If there is an Android app it is on Google Play
    10-08-14 10:11 AM
    love this story!!
    10-08-14 10:40 AM
    I live in canada, have z10, Rogers and RBC. Still can't use NFC :-(

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 10:41 AM
    Do you have a NFC SIM card from Rogers?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:47 AM
27 12