According to the Android M overview from ABC News, this:

"Another welcome feature is an apps permissions system allowing users to approve or deny security settings for an app on a case-by-case experience. "

tells me that one of the security / privacy features of BB10 (being able to allow or deny SPECIFIC permissions in an app, whether or not that app would still be able to function) is now going to be part of Android M... so no longer a "like it or lump it" attitude towards app permissions. That was one of my chief complaints about how so many Android apps require permissions that are dubious in their requirement... it appears that with Android M, you might be able to turn them off. I wonder if there will be a backlash against Android by high-profile app developers who base their business model on user profiling and ads... and how many apps just won't work if you deny them these abilities.... hmmmm.....
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-28-15 at 04:04 PM.
    05-28-15 03:50 PM
    According to the Android M overview from ABC News, this:

"Another welcome feature is an apps permissions system allowing users to approve or deny security settings for an app on a case-by-case experience. "

tells me that one of the security / privacy features of BB10 (being able to allow or deny SPECIFIC permissions in an app, whether or not that app would still be able to function) is now going to be part of Android M... so no longer a "like it or lump it" attitude towards app permissions. That was one of my chief complaints about how so many Android apps require permissions that are dubious in their requirement... it appears that with Android M, you might be able to turn them off. I wonder if there will be a backlash against Android by high-profile profile app developers who base their business model on user profiling and ads... hmmmm......
    I think it was inevitable - Cyanogenmod basically took AppOps from KitKat and has run with it ever since. So now Google is on par with BlackBerry and Apple (not sure about Windows Phone). Realistically, I'd bet big money that the majority of users won't selectively turn off permissions on apps they download so most app developers that use that kind of info won't be hugely affected.

I personally pay attention to what an app is asking for all on platforms but I know I'm in the minority, lol.
    05-28-15 03:59 PM
    I think it was inevitable - Cyanogenmod basically took AppOps from KitKat and has run with it ever since. So now Google is on par with BlackBerry and Apple (not sure about Windows Phone). Realistically, I'd bet big money that the majority of users won't selectively turn off permissions on apps they download so most app developers that use that kind of info won't be hugely affected.

I personally pay attention to what an app is asking for all on platforms but I know I'm in the minority, lol.
    iOS may allow permissions granularity, but it's scattered so... so... PURPOSEFULLY throughout a dozen different screens etc., I can only assume that Apple is proactively trying to befuddle users so users don't take full command of these permissions. Apple could do a lot better job by organizing the permissions like BB and Android: a profile of the app with each permission being selectable in place, not having to go to "location services" and seeing all the apps that use "location services" there, then having to go to the "Camera" to see which apps have access to the camera etc. No doubt Apple will come around, and it's commendable that the permissions CAN be controlled, but for the OS that's got all the acclaim for being user friendly, the way iOS handles permissions is so COMPLETELY the opposite, like who ever came up with that idea decided intentionally to do it as user-unfriendly-ly as possible.

iOS apps don't present you with a list of all the permissions the app MIGHT EVER ask for at once... they are presented as needed in the devices UX, which is a bit of a bait and switch: if I don't want ANY apps tweeting on my behalf, don't I have the right to know that an app MAY try to do that before I install it? I don't really get that chance on iOS.

Apple's approach is fine for a specific use case: if you are in the mood to examine "Which of my apps can use location services?" etc., but if you're concerned about a single app's permissions, you're digging all over the place to see what if any permissions it is using. Not being able to control all of an app's permissions from a single place is a gap iOS needs to close.
    anon(9353145) and sunjammer like this.
    05-28-15 04:21 PM
    I see this is a good thing. I don't see any push back by it either. it still takes action by the end use to block the permission and millions don't even bother. So for those that do read them and want to turn them off individually this is a good thing. BB somehow needs this for the runtime as I don't think you can do this yet on BB10 runtime
    anon(9353145) and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    05-28-15 04:36 PM
    I see this is a good thing. I don't see any push back by it either. it still takes action by the end use to block the permission and millions don't even bother. So for those that do read them and want to turn them off individually this is a good thing. BB somehow needs this for the runtime as I don't think you can do this yet on BB10 runtime
    It is a good thing. As a poster above noted most people won't use it, but for those that want to it is now available. Android keeps getting better.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-28-15 04:41 PM
    Finally oh finally Google is allowing this.. now how long until BlackBerry updates their runtime to Android M so we can take advantage of this feature too

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 04:46 PM
    iOS may allow permissions granularity, but it's scattered so... so... PURPOSEFULLY throughout a dozen different screens etc.,

Apple's approach is fine for a specific use case: if you are in the mood to examine "Which of my apps can use location services?" etc., but if you're concerned about a single app's permissions, you're digging all over the place to see what if any permissions it is using. Not being able to control all of an app's permissions from a single place is a gap iOS needs to close.
    I completely agree that the Settings in Apple are a bit of a mess, lol. Although, that's coming from the perspective of someone that uses iOS, Android and BB10. To be fair to Apple, they haven't changed it since the original iPhone, iirc.

I find BB10 and Android to be similar in how they treat settings whereas Apple has it's own way of doing things. I've always rooted Android devices for the granular control I can have over permissions (and other things). All in all, it's a good thing for Google to introduce this feature in Android M, imho. Now if only they'd copy BlackBerry's Quick Settings feature (more comprehensive) and the option to limit active windows. I really like Active Frames with the 8 apps limitation on BB10. On iOS and Android it's basically a confusing hodge podge of everything you've opened since you last rebooted the phone (or tablet) as far as I can tell. Sloppy, BlackBerry does a much better job.
    05-28-15 05:37 PM
    Finally oh finally Google is allowing this.. now how long until BlackBerry updates their runtime to Android M so we can take advantage of this feature too

Posted via CB10
    Well, Google has to update everyone to Android M first, let's not get ahead of ourselves, lol.
    05-28-15 05:39 PM

Yeah, Windows Phone has this as of Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2

05-28-15 05:42 PM
    It is a good thing. As a poster above noted most people won't use it, but for those that want to it is now available. Android keeps getting better.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    The tipping point, imho, was Jelly Bean. Before that, it was pretty... meh. People talk about Gingerbread and then jump to KitKat and beyond. No one talks about Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich.
    05-28-15 05:43 PM
    Thanks for that. I don't have a Windows Phone, so I didn't want to say either way.
    05-28-15 05:44 PM
    Thanks for that. I don't have a Windows Phone, so I didn't want to say either way.

Happy to to help
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-28-15 05:46 PM
    No, when it comes to Android apps on BB10 it's all or nothing. UNLESS, you want to sideload AppOps and even then I'm not sure if it works properly with the BB10 runtime.
    05-28-15 05:57 PM
    No, when it comes to Android apps on BB10 it's all or nothing. UNLESS, you want to sideload AppOps and even then I'm not sure if it works properly with the BB10 runtime.
    It works with some things, I've tried it with Google translate and the camera nor microphone would work. Haven't tested much past that

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 07:35 PM
    Now, just watch as the same Android people who said granular preferences are not a big deal, and privacy is not a big deal, become all giddy with excitement.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    raino likes this.
    05-28-15 07:38 PM
    Now, just watch as the same Android people who said granular preferences are not a big deal, and privacy is not a big deal, become all giddy with excitement.
    "Google was absolutely right to shut down App Ops! We can use Odin et al, install custom ROMs but are just too stupid; they were looking out for us! Prai...ooh, granular app permissions!"
    05-28-15 08:19 PM

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05...92b9ff8af6.png
    Can you also examine a specific app and see all its permissions, and enable or disable them? When you install an app you are more interested to know an apps sum total permissions rather than have to pick through a bunch of different "permissions" screens to even see IF an app is requesting that permission.

In short, an os should offer both an "app centric" and "permission centric" view.
    05-29-15 03:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Earliest sometime in 2017. Android M won't be ready until the fall and then the OEM/carriers won't put it on their phones until Spring/Summer 2016. There will be a couple bug/update releases into Summer 2016 and then perhaps BB will work on the M runtime.
    05-29-15 03:56 PM
    And this exactly is the problem. Other OSs can dish out new features faster than BB can fight the app gap.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-29-15 04:16 PM