So I was in New York City for the weekend and I admit I had pretty low expectations on the number of BlackBerrys that I would see out there in the wild. Up here in Toronto, Canada, BlackBerry sightings are a relatively common occurrence even as the iSheep crowd chips away at it. I have heard such doom and gloom about BlackBerry in the States that I was pretty surprised to see a significant number of BlackBerrys around the streets of New York. My observations determined a ratio of about 9 iPhones for every 1 BlackBerry - not to bad all things considered. Especially, since we have not seen a new model in over a year and carriers and tech bloggers have already written BlackBerry's eulogy. If BlackBerry can hold out until BB10 they still have a fighting chance for #3 spot or higher.

Foot note: I did not see even 1 Windows phone. Why the heck do tech bloggers give BlackBerry such a hard time, and effuse nothing but praise for WP. What a joke - I hope WP8 crashes and burns yet another time for Microsoft - hopefully as bad as the Zune. Remember that gem? Ha!
    esk369 likes this.
    10-02-12 04:39 PM
    @isle989.
    I see BB all over the place I get into Manhattan about once a week I live about 20 min outside Manhattan do most of my work in bklyn,queens and long island.
    Don't get me wrong the number of IPhone's and various droid handsets are definitely more but still plenty of berries still around.
    10-03-12 01:23 PM
    I was at Wrigley Field earlier this summer and was pleasantly surprised at the number of BlackBerry devices I saw, especially OS7 models.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    esk369 likes this.
    10-03-12 01:29 PM
    I don't get to frequent exotic places like Manhattan, but ths past weekend I attended a community benefit affair. Standing next to me was a group of 4 girls around the age of 16 or 17. One excitedly announced "I just got a new Blackberry Bold!"

I was very gratified.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-03-12 01:35 PM
    Almost no BBerries anymore on the Metro in DC. A sea of iPhones and assorted Androids.
    Fed employees are the ones with the BBerries....you can tell by the telltale ID tag or scanner thingie/barcode on the battery door.
    10-03-12 01:40 PM
    I don't get to frequent exotic places like Manhattan, but ths past weekend I attended a community benefit affair. Standing next to me was a group of 4 girls around the age of 16 or 17. One excitedly announced "I just got a new Blackberry Bold!"

I was very gratified.
    I have heard Manhattan described in many ways by natives and tourists but I have to say I don't think exotic was one except for 42st year's ago:-D
    10-03-12 01:44 PM
    Foot note: I did not see even 1 Windows phone. Why the heck do tech bloggers give BlackBerry such a hard time, and effuse nothing but praise for WP. What a joke - I hope WP8 crashes and burns yet another time for Microsoft - hopefully as bad as the Zune. Remember that gem? Ha!
    I hope it does as well. I haven't seen a Win phone in the wild, but if I did, I'd grab it out of the person's hands and smash it. Without saying a word. That's what everyone should do when they see pure evil, if you don't, you're not a moral person. I am going to smash the laptop I'm typing this on now.

(This was an exaggeration, but only a little! :-)
    esk369 and sputneek like this.
    10-03-12 01:47 PM
    @Qbnkelt.
    The gf found a place going to look at rescue ferrets this weekend
    Thanks for the advice.
    Sry 4goin off topic.
    GTiLeo likes this.
    10-03-12 01:47 PM
    I hope it does as well. I haven't seen a Win phone in the wild, but if I did, I'd grab it out of the person's hands and smash it. Without saying a word. That's what everyone should do when they see pure evil, if you don't, you're not a moral person. I am going to smash the laptop I'm typing this on now.

Thanks for coffee all over my dashboard what you said reminds me of the scene in animal house when bulishie comes down the stairs and grabs the guys guitar and smashes it against the wall.
    Thanks Richard now I got coffee all over dash and windshield
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-12 01:53 PM

What possibly could be so bad about a phone to incite violence and criminal acts? If anyone feels that way about a phone, he or she needs anger management. It's just a phone, not one's life.

If you hate Windows that much, it would be silly to destroy your laptop. You can install a Linux distro of your choice. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    10-03-12 01:53 PM
    What possibly could be so bad about a phone to incite violence and criminal acts? If anyone feels that way about a phone, he or she needs anger management. It's just a phone, not one's life.

If you hate Windows that much, it would be silly to destroy your laptop. You can install a Linux distro of your choice. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    I was looking at the link you posted and went on to have a look/see and I can't understand one word well maybe one or two.
    Would you be so kind if you could tell me what the difference is to windows and what advantage It would be over windows os I apologize as I am a self proclaimed tech moron although some would say I don't need that as an excuse.
    Thanks again if you could give me a simple explanation of the differences of the 2 os es.
    Last edited by esk369; 10-03-12 at 02:35 PM.
    10-03-12 02:24 PM

Don't do it... You'll only help Windows phone sale as they buy replacement units.
    Last edited by VeGiTo; 10-03-12 at 02:47 PM.
    10-03-12 02:42 PM
    I was traveling on a NY subway and of course saw a plethora of Android phones and iPhones all being used for casual gaming. Not one BB until a young girl in front of me pulled out a Torch 9810 NIB from a plastic bag and proceeded to switch out her SIM card from an old beat up Hero into the BB. There is still some hope...

The only WinPhone I have seen was a co-worker who lost her iPhone and needed a new phone. Of course this was during the WinPhone challenge, so she brough them an old Curve, lost the challenge and got a free smartphone. Other than that I don't know anyone who went out of their way to buy a Lumia.
    10-03-12 03:27 PM
    been using the Lumia 900 for two days now and right of the bat I have to say its beautiful. The windows OS is awesome. The way it works and integrates with Facebook etc is amazing. My only complaint is notifications. Nowhere near BB. Seriously, being the BB fan that I am I still see how amazing this interface is.
    Its a data hog though. I'm still on 2G and my BB is fast on that, but the Lumia begs for 3G.
    in seriously tempted to use this as my daily driver but can't live without BBM and the BB notifications.
    But WP is as ahead of BBOS as it is from iOS. IOS looks completely dated in front of this. Just something to think about for all iFans.
    10-03-12 04:34 PM
    I see plenty of BBs in Manhattan every day but the person holding one is often holding an iPhone in the other hand.
    10-03-12 04:44 PM
    I was in Manhattan back in July and was also pleasantly surprised at the number of Blackberries I saw, especially in the hands of younger people.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-03-12 05:40 PM
    Even if you hate Windows Phones, it's still not in your best interest as a consumer to wish for another platform to "crash and burn". Competition is a good thing.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-03-12 07:08 PM
    Where I work, the company recently brought in a company to fix some problems with our bathroom flooring. Their boss was sporting an iPad and much to my surprise a Bold 99**. That actually enhanced for my mood for some reason.

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    10-03-12 07:47 PM
    Robin from "How I met your mother" used a 9800 / 9810. But that was last season (7). RIM's secret advertising through TV series?
    10-03-12 10:02 PM
    I work in the construction business and most of the contractors I know all use blackberries Idon't see many playbooks and I don't think I have ever seen a ipad on a jobsite at least not one that I have been on.
    10-03-12 10:25 PM
    I have heard Manhattan described in many ways by natives and tourists but I have to say I don't think exotic was one except for 42st year's ago:-D
    It was a comparative term. Now the village I live closest to would be Wilsonville, Ontario in the heart of farm country. The Community event we attended was held in Scotland, Ontario. Wilsonville is on most maps - now & you'll find Scotland on the map too - but just ask about 10 people and most would be shocked to learn that there is a town called Scotland in Ontario. So yes, Manhattan seems very exotic to me!
    10-03-12 10:57 PM
    I work in the construction business and most of the contractors I know all use blackberries Idon't see many playbooks and I don't think I have ever seen a ipad on a jobsite at least not one that I have been on.
    I thought they all moved onto those Casio phones.
    10-04-12 12:25 AM
    It was a comparative term. Now the village I live closest to would be Wilsonville, Ontario in the heart of farm country. The Community event we attended was held in Scotland, Ontario. Wilsonville is on most maps - now & you'll find Scotland on the map too - but just ask about 10 people and most would be shocked to learn that there is a town called Scotland in Ontario. So yes, Manhattan seems very exotic to me!
    Comparative indeed.
    I guess living here kind of blunts the fact that that Manhattan can be kind of a shock and awe type experience.
    I remember new years eve of 1989 I had a old friend from the service from Alaska come to visit and wanted to go to times sq and myself having never been on new years eve decided to go it was just total culture shock for this guy from a small town to be in the heart of nyc on new years eve with a million other people he had a great time but couldn't wait to get back home.
    So yes I can see exotic being an apt description needless to say nyc from 1989 to present time are very different cities.
    I just want to add that I've traveled extensively around the lower 48 thru work and I love small town america and hope god willing to retire some day in a nice small town somewhere I have not had the chance yet to visit up north to Canada but hope to soon.
    I certainly hope you didn't take offense to my response of your post.
    10-04-12 10:21 AM
    I thought they all moved onto those Casio phones.
    I'm not sure if your joking or not?
    I didn't know that casio made phones I thought they made calculators I guess I learned something
    new today
    Ok quick google search( watch manufacturers) now I'm confused so what's the punch line?
    Last edited by esk369; 10-04-12 at 10:37 AM.
    10-04-12 10:33 AM
    I made the same observation about BBs in Manhattan a couple years ago on these very forums. I speculate because the people in Manhattan are there mostly to get things done, they want a quality tool for business. No time for games and videos when there is money to be made by communicating with other people.

Not surprisingly, the BB haters jumped in my s#!t over that thread.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-04-12 10:38 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD