Yep, you read that right. I'm one the few going the other way. I'm planning on trading in my Droid X for a BB Curve 3G.

My friends say I'm nuts but I don't know what to say to them. I don't need all the big features of a droid. I just need something for internet at work, Facebook and Twitter, and email.

My question to you all is if I am losing out on much. I'm new to these forums but I thought I'd check the other side since so many of my friends and co workers are Droidaholics.

Thanks.
    04-27-11 04:27 PM
    Yep, you read that right. I'm one the few going the other way. I'm planning on trading in my Droid X for a BB Curve 3G.

My friends say I'm nuts but I don't know what to say to them. I don't need all the big features of a droid. I just need something for internet at work, Facebook and Twitter, and email.

My question to you all is if I am losing out on much. I'm new to these forums but I thought I'd check the other side since so many of my friends and co workers are Droidaholics.

Thanks.
    who is your carrier? verizon? if so 9650!! or just wait for the new releases and sell your droid x.
    04-27-11 04:40 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

I agree with RollingRock1988 of sorts. I'd wait for the new devices (another... 5 months?).

Now the 9650 x 9330...

The processor on the 9330 is a 624mhz while the 9650 has a 524mhz one.

The 9650 has a 480x360 res screen and the 9330 has only 320x240 res.

I am not sure, but I think the 9330 is N enabled when it comes to WiFi (could be I'm wrong thou).

And all that does not matter if you say you're on a GSM carrier... Where I'd get a 9780 or a 9800.
    04-27-11 05:00 PM
    Yes, I have Verizon but I want the curve because it's cheaper. I paid full retail.
    04-27-11 05:07 PM
    I did this exact thing.

And had the same responses from people. Essentially I have been extremely happy since I finally made the move BACK to BB from the DroidX

READ THIS and be Happy. Its a website address that for some stupid reason cracberry will not allow me to put here til afyer I have made 10 posts. so just cut and past it into your address bar.

blogs.forbes.com/quickerbettertech/2011/04/25/i-apologize-to-my-blackberry-5/]I Apologize To My BlackBerry - Quicker Better Tech - - Forbes

It truly hits my thoughts exactly.

Ultimately what I need is a solid reliable tool box..... not a toy box.

A couple of examples:

1. I had to pay for an APP that allowed me to do Word, excel and Power Point on the Droid.
    It's a standard FREE item on my BB.

2. I'm NOT dependent on Google for email/ calendar. With the Droids I had to have A GMAIL account.
    NO THANKS.

Lastly.... I PAID for a NEW Droid X when the VZW person tricked me into thinking the Droid was the way to go from the BB I already had and was happy with.
    That was in Sept 2010.

In October one of the side buttons fell off and they were happy to replace it with a "refurb, certified like new" Droid X. Isn't that a used phone that had something wrong with it that they fixed?

In early November 2010 the phone failed (locking up, sending messages in my inbox to the contact I last sent a message too.

They replaced that with a "refurb, certified like new" Droid X.

Late November that phone failed me. Camera would not function, nor would the photo album.

I returned to VZW and they were happy to replace it with a "refurb, certified like new" Droid X.

I told them to F@ck off and harassed the manager into replacing with a BB.

Since December 2010 I have been BB happy and NOT one single complaint or failure....

I own/ run a small, but dynamic business and I use my BB as a business tool.

The only thing I can say about the Droid X was that when it took pictures they were outstanding quality well beyond what my BB is capable of and that's actually a very useful tool for me but all the other things were not worth the aggravation.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
    04-27-11 05:32 PM
    I just switched from an Epic 4G to a used Curve simply because the voicemail app kept crashing on Android. Walk off the plane, switch on the antenna, start listening to VMs, crash. Quickly gets annoying. I was hoping the upgrade to 2.2 would fix, but no dice. And no OTA upgrade either - had to bring it in - turns out they can't upgrade that phone without wiping out your data. Perfect.

Since I had a BB a few years ago I thought 'what the heck - I'll try it again' - and glad I did. No Angry Birds is a small price to pay for a quality cell phone that functions properly. I'm looking forward to re-learning everything I had forgotten about BB...
    Speczorz likes this.
    04-27-11 08:04 PM
    For a while I flip flopped between several android devices and my 9650 but my uses are very basic in that I mainly just need text email web and twitter for my day to day actions.

I have made the switch to my 9650 full time and keep my droid around as a wifi toy for when I am at home hanging out and want to play a game or something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 08:11 PM
    First, your duty is to get a phone that works for you... if it is a portable rotary brick, then so be it.

For me, Android works. I had a docs program standard, just like on BB (very important; believe it or not, not all Android users think of their devices as toys ).

Also, anyone with a little time on Android knows to avoid Samsung. Not an excuse, just what I consider fact. If I had to choose between a Samsung device anda a BB, if go BB every time.

BBs are capable devices. Get what works for you, and tell the peanut gallery at work to bite your keyboard.
    sleepngbear and arcanaemia like this.
    04-27-11 08:51 PM
    As the new phones roll out this summer, I think you will c a few more people doing this. I am sure alot of people miss the simplicity of the BB and the keyboard but want the zippier phone with the faster browser. Hopefully BB is working hard to keep leveling the playing field!
    04-27-11 09:11 PM
    What are you looking to get of your phones os? I use a driod and bb daily so I know a little about about platforms.

Blackberry when yo wanna get stuff done.
    Andriod when you wanna have some fun.

I lean more towards the former because of my lifestyle, but, "to each their own".

04-28-11 02:20 AM
    ^^^This.

My Torch is my go-to device to get things done - communication, coordination, productivity....basically my tool to keep my day straight and to get to family, friends, work or hobbies. My Atrix is my phone to check out YouTube (which is amazing on the Atrix) or to just browse.

I'd suggest waiting until the new devices drop if you can. You'd want to make sure that you don't lose on something you'd wanted just because you acted too quickly.
    04-28-11 04:42 AM
    Same here, Android does nothing my BB can't do, minus some games, which I have a PsP for on the go.

I have had a few Androids and I do miss the bigger more vivid screen of say the EVO, but love the overall functionality of BB phones.

I can't wait till the new ones come out, till then it has been a tight bond between me and my 9700.
    04-28-11 05:07 AM
    ^^^This.

My Torch is my go-to device to get things done - communication, coordination, productivity....basically my tool to keep my day straight and to get to family, friends, work or hobbies. My Atrix is my phone to check out YouTube (which is amazing on the Atrix) or to just browse.

I'd suggest waiting until the new devices drop if you can. You'd want to make sure that you don't lose on something you'd wanted just because you acted too quickly.
    Just curious, if you're using the Atrix for entertainment purposes, wouldn't it be better to get a tablet? Unless portability is an issue, which makes my point moot.
    04-28-11 05:20 AM
    Agreed.

Bb+droid+tab= winning

(Just saying)

04-28-11 06:09 AM
    The limitations of BB did not allow me to reach my potential in terms of productivity, so I had to do the opposite: my old BBs are toys (Brick breaker is not the same on any other platform).

For my job, I do web design, PR (FB, Twitter), employee email management, group texting, database management and more. Device freezing and other issues caused me to leave RIM, but I was already immersed in Google's ecosystem, so the switch to Android made sense for me. I can honestly (and humbly) say few people squeezed as much from a BB as I did (check old posts of mine; heck, I was writing a book), so the change was not made without serious deliberation.

Productivity is not the sole domain of RIM devices any more.

Sounds like a switch back to RIM works for OP. No one can knock BB for creating workhorse devices. I don't think it's a bad choice at all.
    04-28-11 07:40 AM
    I definitely think it all depends on the user and what they do with their device. I primarily use an Android device these days (SGS), but still also use my BlackBerry Tour. When it was time to upgrade the Tour, my only real option was going from 9630 to 9650. I decided to wait for the next round of BB devices and try the SGS (which was free).

Both devices have their kwirks. Battery pulls, long boot times, truncated emails on the BlackBerry. Bluetooth not being up to par with my BB on the SGS. But, with those little things aside, both devices are very good and I can pretty much do everything the same on either one.

Side point: The free version of Docs-to-Go comes installed on the BB already. You can get the free version on Android and have the same functionality. Both platforms have a paid version of the app so you can view PDFs and create new files. The main benefit is that is comes pre-installed on BB (although ThinkFree Office came installed on my SGS).

Right now, my main device is the SGS, mostly due to truncated emails on my Tour (I rely on emailed order forms for my business). That doesn't mean I hate BB (I love my BB). I'm excited to see what comes from RIM in the future.
    04-28-11 10:35 AM
    First, your duty is to get a phone that works for you... if it is a portable rotary brick, then so be it.

For me, Android works. I had a docs program standard, just like on BB (very important; believe it or not, not all Android users think of their devices as toys ).

Also, anyone with a little time on Android knows to avoid Samsung. Not an excuse, just what I consider fact. If I had to choose between a Samsung device anda a BB, if go BB every time.

BBs are capable devices. Get what works for you, and tell the peanut gallery at work to bite your keyboard.
    ^^^
    See how easy it is for Android fans and BB fans to peacefully coexist in the same thread? :-)

Very interesting perspective. Thanks for this. ;-)

04-28-11 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD