Just wondering how many CrackBerry people actually rate/review Android apps that works on their BlackBerry.

I highly recommend BlackBerry to rate apps either on Google Play or Amazon App Store with subjects like
    "Works great on BlackBerry Z10" or "Doesn't work on my BlackBerry Z10". Be device specific as possible.

First of all, it helps fellow BlackBerry users to know which ones work or doesn't work.

It helps the developer to notice that there are BlackBerry users downloading their apps.

It also helps make other users know that BlackBerry can run Android apps (good or bad).

I have been doing my part in helping people know that BlackBerry runs Android and which apps well. Will you?
    sebstarr likes this.
    07-14-14 02:57 PM
    07-14-14 03:38 PM
    May have unintended consequences. On Gplay the dev will just reply that device is not supported. Don't know what the Amazon devs will do. Suppose Amazon will have to add a setting for apps that devs don't want to run on BB10 devices so you'll get an incompatibility warning if you try to DL it. AFAIK there is no easy way to test for BB10 runtime issues so the default will be to warn, BB isn't going to give Amazon devs free devices or anything. It looks like with 10.3 the issues should be minimal tho outside of not having GFS.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-14-14 03:55 PM
    May have unintended consequences. On Gplay the dev will just reply that device is not supported.
    To go even further, devs could decide to block the app from BB devices, so that it doesn't appear to you if you are running an "unsupported device." That's easy to do on GPlay, just as it is with BB World (some apps don't appear if you are using a Q-device, as they are formatted only for 16:9 screens).

I know you're trying to be helpful, but you do need to keep in mind that BB10 devices are not in any way supported by Google Play, and in fact are violating the GPlay TOS to begin with, so if you leave negative feedback for apps because you're on an unsupported device, don't be surprised if the devs "fight back" to defend their ratings by blocking BB10 devices from access to their app in the first place.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-14-14 08:04 PM
    To go even further, devs could decide to block the app from BB devices, so that it doesn't appear to you if you are running an "unsupported device." That's easy to do on GPlay, just as it is with BB World (some apps don't appear if you are using a Q-device, as they are formatted only for 16:9 screens).

I know you're trying to be helpful, but you do need to keep in mind that BB10 devices are not in any way supported by Google Play, and in fact are violating the GPlay TOS to begin with, so if you leave negative feedback for apps because you're on an unsupported device, don't be surprised if the devs "fight back" to defend their ratings by blocking BB10 devices from access to their app in the first place.
    Yes we don't know how it will be handled atm. Did a search in the Amazon dev forum and I could find nothing in regards to BB coming Either I'm looking at the wrong place or Amazon/BB is entirely unprepared of the potential consequences. Bad ratings are death to devs so they'll surely protest if they feel they aren't getting the proper support for issues beyond their control.
    Troy Tiscareno and shaleem like this.
    07-14-14 08:29 PM
    May have unintended consequences. On Gplay the dev will just reply that device is not supported. Don't know what the Amazon devs will do. Suppose Amazon will have to add a setting for apps that devs don't want to run on BB10 devices so you'll get an incompatibility warning if you try to DL it. AFAIK there is no easy way to test for BB10 runtime issues so the default will be to warn, BB isn't going to give Amazon devs free devices or anything. It looks like with 10.3 the issues should be minimal tho outside of not having GFS.
    Having developers know that BlackBerry users exists is better than them not knowing about them at all. All I am saying is when you are trying out an app, spend a moment to write a review on it. Make sure to mention BlackBerry (device X) and if it works or not. That's all. It will be helpful to everyone.
    07-15-14 11:45 AM
    Don't post a NEGATIVE review then. Put a neutral one (3 stars) indicated that it doesn't work properly on a BlackBerry. You can write something like "It looks like an interesting app but doesn't work on my BlackBerry XXX".
    app_Developer and Genghis2k3 like this.
    07-15-14 11:48 AM

For Google Play, you have higher chance of having apps that won't work plus there is no easy way of downloading apps.

That's why I focus on Amazon Store. It has already been announced anyway so it isn't a surprise for the developers. Just be "respectable" with the developers and they will know there is an audience for their apps that they may not have addressed yet.
    07-15-14 11:54 AM
    Don't post a NEGATIVE review then. Put a neutral one (3 stars) indicated that it doesn't work properly on a BlackBerry. You can write something like "It looks like an interesting app but doesn't work on my BlackBerry XXX".
    Neutral would be giving it a rating equal to it's current average rating. Three stars could still hold negative connotations toward a developer who's app is averaging 4+ stars.

The best way to make an app developer aware, is to simply send them a private message or email. If they get enough of them, then they'll be plenty aware. Anything that can affect their GPlay rating would almost guarantee poor reception from developers.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-15-14 12:56 PM

Another unintended consequence would be devs pointing out to Google that their app ratings are being affected, resulting in Google finally deciding not to let Snap slide like they have been and taking action to shut apps like Snap down.
    07-15-14 01:00 PM
    Neutral would be giving it a rating equal to it's current average rating. Three stars could still hold negative connotations toward a developer who's app is averaging 4+ stars.

The best way to make an app developer aware, is to simply send them a private message or email. If they get enough of them, then they'll be plenty aware. Anything that can affect their GPlay rating would almost guarantee poor reception from developers.
    Private email doesn't help other BlackBerry users know if the app work on their device. That is what reviews are for "to help people". If three is not neutral, then give a neutral value. We are trying to make developers be aware as well as customers.
    07-15-14 01:14 PM
    Another unintended consequence would be devs pointing out to Google that their app ratings are being affected, resulting in Google finally deciding not to let Snap slide like they have been and taking action to shut apps like Snap down.
    Exactly. For some reason people think Google isnt aware of the apps being downloaded to non certified phones and apps being "patched". Next thing you know, nothing works. No fanfare, no announcement. Just a bunch of force closes
    07-15-14 01:40 PM
    Private email doesn't help other BlackBerry users know if the app work on their device. That is what reviews are for "to help people". If three is not neutral, then give a neutral value. We are trying to make developers be aware as well as customers.
    Doesn't matter whether it directly helps other BB users. The GPlay reviews are for Google Certified Android users, not BB10 users that manage to use the GPlay store via workarounds. Your solution basically contaminates a service that would be detrimental to intended the parties.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    07-15-14 02:39 PM
    If you have a problem with a app you should email the developer before posting a review

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-15-14 03:54 PM
    Doesn't matter whether it directly helps other BB users. The GPlay reviews are for Google Certified Android users, not BB10 users that manage to use the GPlay store via workarounds. Your solution basically contaminates a service that would be detrimental to intended the parties.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    What about Amazon App Store? The partnership between BlackBerry and Amazon has been announced so there is no reason why you can not talk about BlackBerry there.
    07-15-14 04:55 PM
    If you have a problem with a app you should email the developer before posting a review

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    I have been reviewing apps that works. It is good for the developer and for BlackBerry users.

Since BlackBerry isn't officially supported by the developer, I find it weird communicating with them regarding it.
    07-15-14 04:57 PM
    What about Amazon App Store? The partnership between BlackBerry and Amazon has been announced so there is no reason why you can not talk about BlackBerry there.
    It's been announced, but until everyone has 10.3.x, it isn't officially supported. Even once it is, there may be a period of time where things get "uncomfortable" between some of Amazon's Android devs and BB10 users. But who knows? They may be working on a solution for that to be released when things become official. In the meantime, I promise you that devs aren't going to welcome negative reviews from BB10 users whose apps aren't (yet) officially supported in the first place.
    07-15-14 08:13 PM
    there may be a period of time where things get "uncomfortable" between some of Amazon's Android devs and BB10 users.
    Please elaborate.
    07-15-14 09:13 PM
    Have to wonder if Android Developers might also in a way be "fanboys". Many didn't bother with BB10 even with all of the promotions and giveaways, if they feel as "proud" of the platform as many here do about BlackBerry.... it could simple come down to then wanting to "stick a knife" in BlackBerry users. Regardless if the loses a few customers (paying or not).

Don't really know the motivations behind it (just too busy, or just don't want to add to their work load, or just don't want to help "outsiders")... just that even the Kindle Store doesn't get the "love" that Google Play does, and that BlackBerry World was total ignored by many Android Developers.

Not sure that letting them know that a "few" of us are here is going to matter.
    07-16-14 09:25 AM
    Please elaborate.
    Won't speak for Troy but it could end up that negative reviews for the number of devices accessing Amazon app store for devs isn't worth it and by default they'll start listing BB10 devices as incompatible sort of like if you try and access Kindle oriented apps on the app store. BB10 to Amazon app store isn't even on the devs radar at this point which means no communications have gone out to them from BB or Amazon. Could be rocky.
    07-16-14 11:05 AM
    Won't speak for Troy but it could end up that negative reviews for the number of devices accessing Amazon app store for devs isn't worth it and by default they'll start listing BB10 devices as incompatible sort of like if you try and access Kindle oriented apps on the app store. BB10 to Amazon app store isn't even on the devs radar at this point which means no communications have gone out to them from BB or Amazon. Could be rocky.
    I have seen the incompatible thing before, but have always wondered: doesn't Amazon let you buy apps (and save to the cloud) even if your device is listed as incompatible? And then all you have to do is install the Amazon app store and install to device?
    07-16-14 12:40 PM
    I have seen the incompatible thing before, but have always wondered: doesn't Amazon let you buy apps (and save to the cloud) even if your device is listed as incompatible? And then all you have to do is install the Amazon app store and install to device?
    Yes but to the average user incompatible means just that and will degrade the BB10 experience on Amazon app store if a large number of devs employ this strategy as a defense against bad reviews from a small user base.

Was thinking the BB/Amazon partnership would be more involved at the moment it seems nothing more than the Amazon app preloaded on BB10 devices.
    07-16-14 12:43 PM
    Yes but to the average user incompatible means just that and will degrade the BB10 experience on Amazon app store if a large number of devs employ this strategy as a defense against bad reviews from a small user base.

Was thinking the BB/Amazon partnership would be more involved at the moment it seems nothing more than the Amazon app preloaded on BB10 devices.
    Most apps work within Amazon app store so I just like to review those to help fellow BB users out ("Works fine with BlackBerry XXX"). For those that doesn't I will wait until the 10.3 release to see if it works then. Unless they have particularly filtered out BlackBerry, I will give them an honest review at that time. We need to make sure our voice is heard or else it doesn't really matter to them.
    07-16-14 01:12 PM
    Most apps work within Amazon app store so I just like to review those to help fellow BB users out ("Works fine with BlackBerry XXX"). For those that doesn't I will wait until the 10.3 release to see if it works then. Unless they have particularly filtered out BlackBerry, I will give them an honest review at that time. We need to make sure our voice is heard or else it doesn't really matter to them.
    I agree with your review strategy on 10.2. Its a bad thing if when 10.3 drops that BB10 is seen as an invader and devs employ a moat strategy. In their self-interest if the app works fine in the testing environments, with their own Android devices and and other Google certified Android devices what is a dev to do with BB10 specific issues?
    07-16-14 01:22 PM