Are they editable now?

If not, could BlackBerry code runtime to make them?
    09-02-14 11:55 PM
    Are they editable now?
    Not unless you take matters into your own hands and make some adjustments.

They could but they likely won't. Most people don't even understand permissions and end up disabling things that allow the apps to actually even work then blame the developer, app, BlackBerry or whoever else they feel like blaming that isn't them.

There's people out there that still believe the 'Shared File Access' on BlackBerry is the devil even though it's almost entirely necc. for most apps on BlackBerry World to even run. 'Stupid app, can't even upload pictures!' Never mind the fact they disabled shared file access lol.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    09-03-14 12:00 AM
    Are they editable now?

Try this android app. Deems working to me but I could be wrong because I don't use that many android apps.
    And another thing, make sure you know what you're doing with this app because I see that it also access android runtime (I could be wrong tho)..

The name is Permission Manager by FaceLock Mobi.

Android App Permissions-img_20140903_130909.png

Android App Permissions-app-permission.jpg

Anybody with advice about what's the do's and don't when we adjust the permission is greatly appreciated.

With due diligence from my Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.1130
    09-03-14 12:12 AM
    I guess I'm more concerned with an apps permissions or "Terms of Agreement" (I've never read one all the way through) that gives full access for said app to gather/send whatever information in the background outside of a user's desired intent.

For example, could BlackBerry restrict an app to accessing a pic or file or contact only when pointed to by the user as opposed to open access to all because it's an app that shares pictures with contacts.

I'm not a programmer, more just curious how open an apps permissions actually are or if they are fire walled in some way not expressed by the language used in permission descriptions.
    09-03-14 12:31 AM
    For example, could BlackBerry restrict an app to accessing a pic or file or contact only when pointed to by the user as opposed to open access to all because it's an app that shares pictures with contacts.
    Dude. BlackBerry has always let you decide what permission to give to certain apps.
    And you can even edit that permission if you wanted.
    As long as it's a native app.
    Go to settings > Security and privacy > application permissions. But of course, do this with due diligence.

As for android apps, try the one I posted above your last post.

09-03-14 12:55 AM
    Not unless you take matters into your own hands and make some adjustments.

They could but they likely won't. Most people don't even understand permissions and end up disabling things that allow the apps to actually even work then blame the developer, app, BlackBerry or whoever else they feel like blaming that isn't them.

There's people out there that still believe the 'Shared File Access' on BlackBerry is the devil even though it's almost entirely necc. for most apps on BlackBerry World to even run. 'Stupid app, can't even upload pictures!' Never mind the fact they disabled shared file access lol.
    Yeap. I do that sometimes but always double check the permissions for the problems.

I guess the end users prefer android because it always works compare to BlackBerry. Where the app doesn't "work" correctly.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 12:58 AM
    Dude. BlackBerry has always let you decide what permission to give to certain apps.
    And you can even edit that permission if you wanted.
    As long as it's a native app.
    Go to settings > Security and privacy > application permissions. But of course, do this with due diligence.

As for android apps, try the one I posted above your last post.

Copy that. Originally it was the downloading of an Android App that asked for (in my mind) pretty unrestricted access that I started the post.

Upon thinking more about it, maybe the title should be "App Permissions... what's actually permitted?".

In any case, I'll take a look at the app you posted because there are some permissions I'd like to turn off entirely for certain apps.
    09-03-14 01:04 AM
    Another example ,not specific to Android...

Does file access for an app mean it can access all files in directory as app sees fit, or can app create a file for its own pupose and write/read to that specific file to save app data.

Huge difference in function and security.
    09-03-14 03:13 AM

Does file access for an app mean it can access all files in directory as app sees fit, or can app create a file for its own pupose and write/read to that specific file to save app data.

Both.

09-03-14 03:24 AM
    Try this android app. Deems working to me but I could be wrong because I don't use that many android apps.
    And another thing, make sure you know what you're doing with this app because I see that it also access android runtime (I could be wrong tho)..

The name is Permission Manager by FaceLock Mobi.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140903_130909.png 
Views:	601 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	295398

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	App permission.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	295399

Anybody with advice about what's the do's and don't when we adjust the permission is greatly appreciated.

Anytime an app promises to do a system level thing like edit permissions without root access don't trust the source
    Read the reviews on that app

It's clearly very shaddy

You need system access like root
    which bbry won't allow
    Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-03-14 05:00 AM

For android, internal directories of other apps are not readable by other apps in a non-rooted device. Apps can designate readable directories however within internal storage which is common for apps that save things like photos for Twitter clients.
    09-03-14 09:49 AM
    Since BlackBerry future ecosystem seems to be tied to Amazon and Android, I think that it is ludicrous to not let us edit app permissions.

It can't be that hard to code something like that, if you are the source of the specific Android runtime:
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...cy-android-app

"If you use an Android phone, the OS will tell you -- explicitly -- what the app is trying to access, and it will ask your permission to do so. But you can't provide permission for one data grab and then reject another. It's an all-or-nothing proposition. If you want the Twitter app but don't want it accessing your text messages, you're out of luck.

That's a problem for those of us who really want to protect our privacy, but still want to be participate in things like social media. And even if you trust everything the app developer is doing today, you never know if a new update may contain malware planted by someone else. That's why Marcel Bokhorst created XPrivacy, an open source tool that lets you closely control the permissions for each of your Android apps.

In short, the tool can override a particular permission setting by feeding it junk data. For example, it can feed your Linkedin app fake location information, or your Twitter app an empty address book. And you can do this on an app-by-app basis. So, even if you prevent LinkedIn from accessing your location, you can still offer access to your mapping app."

^
    I can get that on a rooted Android with a little bit of work...

And the company which prides itself of being the secure choice, is unable to let me securily use Android apps.
    It would be funny, if it wouldn't be so sad.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 09-03-14 at 01:06 PM.
    Bla1ze likes this.
    09-03-14 11:26 AM
    Just the thread I'm looking for.

Got some apps that want to access the phone when in use - wtf???

Would be great to turn off some of these android permissions natively.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:57 PM
    Just the thread I'm looking for.

Got some apps that want to access the phone when in use - wtf???

Would be great to turn off some of these android permissions natively.

Posted via CB10
    Most likely the app wants to know when it should freeze or save state when you get/answer a phone call. AC did a write up explaining the most common permissions and what things you should look out for in terms of apps that ask for permissions it does/doesn't need.

Android does need an permissions update, instead of only stock descriptions they need a section where the dev can explain why they need that permission for the app during the install perhaps with a button press on that permission.
    blockbuy likes this.
    10-30-14 02:48 PM