It's nice to tune my TV to F1 racing on a lazy Sunday morning and see this guy on top of the podium.

AMG Petronas F1 sponsorship paying off!-img_20141123_095924.jpg

Does anyone still think it was a waste of advertising money? I'd be interested to know why?

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:14 AM
    I'm glad Lewis won. I really like him.

There is still the question of whether the sponsorship actually increased sales for BlackBerry enough to justify the cost. Yes, it has made for some good feelings for the BlackBerry fanbase. But has it been a worthwhile investment overall? Could that money have been applied better elsewhere?

I wonder if Chen will renew the contract. Does anyone know when it expires and how much it costs?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    TGR1 and jke76 like this.
    11-23-14 09:30 AM
    I doubt it was really that much money. They have $3billion in the bank, I don't think $20million will end them. It'd be different if they were down the their last pennies.

The exposure vs. cost was very favourable for BlackBerry in this case

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:39 AM
    Every bit of Brand awarness is priceless. I always say out of sight, out of mind.

Was a great race and Finish! Go BlackBerry
    jasperlin likes this.
    11-23-14 09:44 AM
    Every bit of Brand awarness is priceless. I always say out of sight, out of mind.

Was a great race and Finish! Go BlackBerry
    I agree especially the fact that he wins a lot

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:46 AM
    Turns out it is only costing $12M per year for 3 years. That's not very much money, so it probably is worth it. Certainly very good that they placed the bet on the right team.

11-23-14 09:46 AM
    Nice that they were able to put the two big BlackBerry signs at the cockpits of these Mercedes this last race ...Brilliant ! Money well spent . Funny thing is also that the gloves of the Wlliams driver appear to display the BB logo
    Congrats to Lewis Hamilton . Like our BB, a big comeback this year
    11-23-14 09:49 AM
    Turns out it is only costing $12M per year for 3 years. That's not very much money, so it probably is worth it. Certainly very good that they placed the bet on the right team.

Exactly. The team was a great pick. So good to see BlackBerry branding on the podium with other premium brands too. Just being in good company makes it worthwhile to me.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:49 AM
    It's nice to tune my TV to F1 racing on a lazy Sunday morning and see this guy on top of the podium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141123_095924.jpg 
Views:	1837 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	316358

Does anyone still think it was a waste of advertising money? I'd be interested to know why?

Posted via CB10
    You tuned a bit late mate... it has been like that the whole season, Mercedes won every race except 3 of them

Blackberry got very lucky because when the sign the contract, Mercedes wasn't a winning team, BB got lucky this year that Mercedes built a tremendous car that outclassed everybody in the field
    11-23-14 10:00 AM
    Attachment 316374

Only issue is the niche audience maybe? But I think the fact that it's Lewis goes much further to people who might not be that interested in F1 but just like to see him win..

Check Out TechCraze
    11-23-14 10:03 AM
    11-23-14 10:03 AM
    Attachment 316374

Only issue is the niche audience maybe? But I think the fact that it's Lewis goes much further to people who might not be that interested in F1 but just like to see him win..

Check Out TechCraze
    Blackberry is turning again on the enterprise side of things, so it might make sense. SAP for example is now sponsoring Mclaren, SAP is 100% enterprise company. F1 is not for the average consumer, F1 is more of a premium sport for gentleman, and I think Blackberry fits well within F1. And being with Mercedes is even better, Mercedes isn't a kid's car, the same way Blackberry isn't a kid's phone, it's for gentleman.
    eddy_berry and Deitzanova like this.
    11-23-14 10:05 AM
    Blackberry is turning again on the enterprise side of things, so it might make sense. SAP for example is now sponsoring Mclaren, SAP is 100% enterprise company. F1 is not for the average consumer, F1 is more of a premium sport for gentleman, and I think Blackberry fits well within F1. And being with Mercedes is even better, Mercedes isn't a kid's car, the same way Blackberry isn't a kid's phone, it's for gentleman.
    You took the words right out of my mouth

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    11-23-14 10:13 AM
    I would laugh if I saw the Mercedes team branded by Huawei Lol

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    11-23-14 10:15 AM
    That may be true, but I barter that the majority of BlackBerry users don't lie within that, I was talking mainly about their consumer devices segment, but obviously the F1 sponsorship has implications for the various advancements they're making on the enterprise software side, so I suppose for what it is it serves it's purpose but BlackBerry need to raise awareness better in other ways too

Check Out TechCraze
    11-23-14 10:18 AM
    That may be true, but I barter that the majority of BlackBerry users don't lie within that, I was talking mainly about their consumer devices segment, but obviously the F1 sponsorship has implications for the various advancements they're making on the enterprise software side, so I suppose for what it is it serves it's purpose but BlackBerry need to raise awareness better in other ways too

Check Out TechCraze
    Jonh Chen said countless times that Blackberry was going back to it's roots, to Enterprise, and we can tell by the devices they are releasing, by aquisitions and big efforts in the MDM segment with BES12. Of course F1 should only be a small part of their marketing focus, nobody is going to get rich only advertising in F1

If you look closely, almost all big sponsors in F1 are either enterprise companies or companies that make products for mature people

Petronas - Oil, 100% enterprise
    Weichai - Industrial engine manufacturer. 100% enterprise
    SAP - 100% enterprise
    Martini - Mature people's drink
    Genii - Enterprise
    PSDVA - Oil, Enterpriose
    Petrobras - Oil, Enterprise
    Airbus -Enterprise
    General Electric - Enterprise
    QNET - Enterprise
    Sahara - Enterprise
    ING - Bank
    Santander - Bank
    Mercedes - Premium brand
    Infiniti - Premium brad
    Ferrari - Premium brand
    Mclaren- Premium brand
    11-23-14 10:26 AM
    11-23-14 10:37 AM
    I'm not disputing BlackBerry's focus on Enterprise, and that many users believe that confusing itself by going after the general consumer was one of the things that caused BlackBerry to lose touch with its key customer Base, but at the end of the day, the younger people of today are going to be some of those more mature individuals of tomorrow, and if BlackBerry wants longevity it needs to also be engraining it's brand with those that may fall into the general consumer group.

This isn't to say I want to see flashy failures of ads that we've seen before, but there are cheap yet effective ways to both emphasise BlackBerry's roots as the go to enterprise product and services provider whilst also repairing the brands image in the minds of general consumers.

Again I don't dispute the effectiveness of the F1 sponsorship, in fact I'm glad that BlackBerry is able to capitalise on it, and perhaps what I'm talking about is a topic for another thread, but I don't think BlackBerry should completely let go of the consumer, going back to their roots doesn't mean they have to, part of their roots is communication and that's something that's become more and more relevant to the general population.. and BlackBerry can no longer afford to just be seen as a 'work' phone, and as the Passport shows they want to or have to find the balance between work and entertainment.

Check Out TechCraze
    11-23-14 10:40 AM
    You tuned a bit late mate... it has been like that the whole season, Mercedes won every race except 3 of them

Blackberry got very lucky because when the sign the contract, Mercedes wasn't a winning team, BB got lucky this year that Mercedes built a tremendous car that outclassed everybody in the field
    Oh I know. I just took a pic to show my girlfriend and decided to share with CB for the heck of it. Also to see what is everyone's opinion about this sponsorship and it's worth to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 10:41 AM
    AMG Petronas F1 sponsorship paying off!-img_20141123_115207_edit.png
    And it's trending on twitter so. I think it does most certainly pay off.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 10:53 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141123_115207_edit.png 
Views:	404 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	316390
    And it's trending on twitter so. I think it does most certainly pay off.

Posted via CB10
    The event is trending.. How do you use that to calculate how many people are being exposed to the BlackBerry brand? For instance the current article on the BBC barely features the BlackBerry brand at all..

I think it's worth it but I don't think the event trending on twitter is what shows it

Check Out TechCraze
    11-23-14 11:02 AM
    I'm not disputing BlackBerry's focus on Enterprise, and that many users believe that confusing itself by going after the general consumer was one of the things that caused BlackBerry to lose touch with its key customer Base, but at the end of the day, the younger people of today are going to be some of those more mature individuals of tomorrow, and if BlackBerry wants longevity it needs to also be engraining it's brand with those that may fall into the general consumer group.

This isn't to say I want to see flashy failures of ads that we've seen before, but there are cheap yet effective ways to both emphasise BlackBerry's roots as the go to enterprise product and services provider whilst also repairing the brands image in the minds of general consumers.

Check Out TechCraze
    Well, you do have a point there, but the market doesn't really work like that. Pretty much nobody advertises for "future sales", the market works in buying Today. Blackberry might not even exist when today's youngsters get to the businessman age.
    11-23-14 11:59 AM
    Not sure if it was in Austin or Sochi that Mercedes had some specific advertising for the Passport

Attachment 316395
    11-23-14 11:59 AM
    Not sure if it was in Austin or Sochi that Mercedes had some specific advertising for the Passport

Attachment 316395
    They've had it since the launch. It was there in Dubai as well. Doesn't hurt that Hamilton and Rosberg posed with white Passports this week in Dubai. Probably good local coverage.

I'd love to see BlackBerry take advantage of the world championship. Not sure how but it would be great.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 12:33 PM
    Do you know what pisses me off? The town I live in... Waterloo home of Blackberry.

Here we have a local startup sponsoring a world class race team and winning on a world stage. Does Waterloo take advantage of that? Do they for instance invite one of the drivers to be parade marshal in our Oktoberfest parade (second largest Oktoberfest in the world after Munich and the parade is nationally televised)?

But if the local Junior A hockey team wins well that's a different picture.
    11-23-14 02:41 PM
54 123