Amazon just took a huge loss with that new fire phone. If you think about it the phones most advertised feature was to help people buy more products from amazon. It wasn't a communication tool or have a social network connection really. The phone was pretty much a waste of resources in my opinion.

This brings me to the partnership with BlackBerry. BlackBerry already has a history of phones, security and reliability. The partnership gave us the amazon app store but I don't think that should be enough. Bla1ze mentioned that amazon should have BlackBerry's ART be switched for Fire OS. That's actually a good idea. I think they could also have BB10 on the Fire tablets as well. That could be for the consumer market and BlackBerry handle the corporate world.

Fire OS still allows you to download any android app. So in a way both BlackBerry and amazon could win. Those snazzy fire phone features could also be natively (is that a word) built or not. The team up could be like the avenger lol (sick trailer by the way).

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    10-25-14 11:00 AM
    How is BlackBerry 10 that is now marketed for enterprise market going to fit into Amazon's very consumer oriented vision?

I also doubt Amazon is willing to throw away millions of dollar already spent on customizing AOSP into Fire OS that seems to be effective on Kindle Fire devices.

BlackBerry 10 is not yet a successful platform in the market despite how much we personally love it here. Whether it will be is remains to be seen. Worst comes to worst I would think amazon will simply join the android alliance, kill its own app store and be like samsung, etc.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky and m1a1mg like this.
    10-25-14 11:43 AM
    BlackBerry handles enterprise and amazon handles consumer?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 11:46 AM
    Is there really a partnership with Amazon? It seems that Blackberry just arranged to have some access to the Amazon app store apps. It's not as if Amazon made any kind of investment in BB10's success. They didn't even do anything to accommodate the Passport. I'll bet the higher-ups at Amazon barely realize that BB10 smartphones utilize their app store.
    Troy Tiscareno and m1a1mg like this.
    10-25-14 12:00 PM
    Is there really a partnership with Amazon? It seems that Blackberry just arranged to have some access to the Amazon app store apps. It's not as if Amazon made any kind of investment in BB10's success. They didn't even do anything to accommodate the Passport. I'll bet the higher-ups at Amazon barely realize that BB10 smartphones utilize their app store.
    It seems like the more official it gets, the less useful it is. Lots of apps that worked before now blacklist the Passport. Better to fly under the radar.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 12:44 PM
    Currently amazon is a big player in the enterprise cloud computing space. BlackBerry should extend their partnership is the arena

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 03:24 PM
    Let Amazon exclusively license the OS. Let them use it free of charge and bring all of Amazons services to the platform. Amazon no longer has to develop a OS that doesn't do much to stand out, and they also have a major partner and platform in which to compete. In return, BlackBerry gets BB10 into more people's hands and gets a MUCH better ecosystem in the process. I think a partnership is needed to take on Apple and Android manufacturers

Posted via CB10
    mnc76 and anon(2313227) like this.
    10-25-14 03:31 PM
    I agree with Rello, seems like a good strategy. Funny though, when BlackBerry was 'sinking' nobody wanted to be associated with them. I think once things turn around (and it's already looking that way, then we'll see which players jump at a chance to partner up with BlackBerry. I personally hope they partner moreso with Amazon in the cloud space and go from there...time will tell...

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 03:54 PM
    I like the idea of Firephone running BB10. While it might not be crazy popular at least Amazon can make it available to consumers. Right now it's pretty hard to walk into a store and find a BlackBerry. BlackBerry 10 is a worthy OS, and what it needs to get popular is exposure. Amazon can help with that.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 07:07 PM
    I like the idea of Firephone running BB10. While it might not be crazy popular at least Amazon can make it available to consumers. Right now it's pretty hard to walk into a store and find a BlackBerry. BlackBerry 10 is a worthy OS, and what it needs to get popular is exposure. Amazon can help with that.

Posted via CB10
    I don't see why amazon would be against a deeper partnership with BlackBerry. The fire phone and kindle product line are just vehicles for their consumer content services, consumer content that BlackBerry sorely lacks at the moment. I mean, Android users have a huge variety of sources, so do iOS users. With BlackBerry, they can pretty much be the sole official provider for consumer content. I'm not saying amazon needs to play a role in hardware design (they don't), but some help on the marketing side wouldn't hurt.

Also someone up top mentioned Amazon cloud services resent successes in the big boy cloud space (didn't they best Oracle and IBM at some DOD contract)? "Secured by BlackBerry" definitely wouldn't hurt.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 09:01 PM

Fire OS still allows you to download any android app.
    I thought it has the same no Google services framework limitation that BlackBerry 10 has.??
    10-25-14 09:09 PM
    I thought it has the same no Google services framework limitation that BlackBerry 10 has.??
    Yes. Unless rooted.

Per the OP, I don't see Amazon going out off its way to do anything that doesn't benefit its core business. I don't see how BB10 fits in that strategy.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-25-14 09:29 PM
    It's hard to say exactly how the current partnership is working for both parties because we won't see any metrics. Where Amazon fell short with Fire Phone is they couldn't leverage BlackBerry's vast carrier partnerships around the world to thrust that product into the market.
    10-26-14 12:34 AM
    Where Amazon fell short with Fire Phone is they couldn't leverage BlackBerry's vast carrier partnerships around the world to thrust that product into the market.
    Amazon largely doesn't care about carriers around the world - most Amazon services are exclusively for North America, and only a few elsewhere. They're looking mainly to sell Fire devices in the US, because that's where people are most likely to purchase other Amazon services.

Amazon and BB10 just aren't a very good fit - this is another example of people wanting other companies to help BB without explaining how it would help that other company to do so. In this case, BB10 isn't going to help Amazon's target device market: US consumers.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    10-26-14 05:27 AM
    It was a smart move to open up their app store to Blackberry, and I hope they stay out of the handset market and instead continue an open and thriving partnership with Blackberry.
    Nobody has knowledge of if their partnership is "thriving".
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-28-14 12:32 AM
    Well, on one level, Amazon is one of the few companies who actually know how well the Passport is selling. The Fire tanked despite a fair amount of TV advertising and promotion.

Licensing BB10 could be a really interesting move, actually. All of Amazon's existing Fire apps could still work through the Android runtime, and they'd have a device that Enterprise users might consider. They could gradually start writing more and more native apps for the ecosystem.

Don't see that actually happening, but crazier things have come to pass in tech...
    10-28-14 12:47 AM
    It's hard to say exactly how the current partnership is working for both parties because we won't see any metrics. Where Amazon fell short with Fire Phone is they couldn't leverage BlackBerry's vast carrier partnerships around the world to thrust that product into the market.
    Wow, then why didn't they push Passport through the same carrier support?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 08:33 AM
    OP, thanks for a nice topic to discuss.

Z3 LTE, or whatever avatar it will take for US market can have native Amazon service apps where BlackBerry take care of coding and Amazon for services.

Amazon and BlackBerry can help Amazon developers to optimize apps for BB10 and thus for Z3. If they can achieve some pre installation that will be great.

BlackBerry take care of manufacturing with Foxconn and Amazon take care of marketing and sales of course ditching DR in the process.

That could be, just could be win win.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-28-14 08:55 AM
    Amazon largely doesn't care about carriers around the world - most Amazon services are exclusively for North America, and only a few elsewhere. They're looking mainly to sell Fire devices in the US, because that's where people are most likely to purchase other Amazon services.

Amazon and BB10 just aren't a very good fit - this is another example of people wanting other companies to help BB without explaining how it would help that other company to do so. In this case, BB10 isn't going to help Amazon's target device market: US consumers.
    Not really I would buy a fire tab if it ran bb10. I want another tab in the worst way. But I will keep using my PlayBook till the wheels fall off or BlackBerry makes a replacement

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:15 AM
    That phone should have been free from the beginning with Amazon Prime account. This way they would have increase their subscriptions and more people buying products from their firephone.

In the mobile arena...why charge the customer for a product that its core feature is to aid the consumer to purchase more from you?

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    10-28-14 09:35 AM
    They as in BlackBerry? It depends on how interested the carriers are in stocking the product. BlackBerry doesn't have near the leverage Apple or Samsung has and therefore cannot dictate huge minimum orders.
    10-28-14 10:16 AM
    That phone should have been free from the beginning with Amazon Prime account. This way they would have increase their subscriptions and more people buying products from their firephone.

In the mobile arena...why charge the customer for a product that its core feature is to aid the consumer to purchase more from you?

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    Interesting point, but I think offering it for free would have been an even worse financial proposition.
    10-28-14 10:20 AM
    Interesting point, but I think offering it for free would have been an even worse financial proposition.
    Pretty much. That would be like BlackBerry offering a free Z10 to every OS 7 owner on the planet.
    10-28-14 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Passport represents a bit of a special case, given its controversial design. BlackBerry was deliberately conservative about projected sales, and based on that likely couldn't allocate carriers enough phones to make it worth their while.

Further to that, while it looks like initial sales have been strong, we don't have any idea if the Passport has any "legs". If sales are remaining strong, maybe we'll see more carrier support soon.
    10-28-14 10:42 AM
    Not really I would buy a fire tab if it ran bb10. I want another tab in the worst way. But I will keep using my PlayBook till the wheels fall off or BlackBerry makes a replacement

Posted via CB10
    I now have this mental image of the Fred Flintstone 's car.

Amazon is 25 times the size of BlackBerry. I think that they will continue to bumble along with their tablets and ereaders. They will be low ticket items. They should stick with cheap all touch phones as well. Their whole market is for cheap devices. It might make sense for them to make a iTouch clone with a good camera.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-28-14 at 11:08 AM.
    10-28-14 10:42 AM
27 12