Given that we are apparently getting a native (rather than ported) Amazon Store app with 10.3, it seems that the 'at your own risk/hobbyist' use of Android is finally coming to an end, and that Amazon have agreed to support users.

Whilst 'buying' all the free apps during the $100 giveaway, using the Amazon website, I noticed that they show ticks for compatibility with 'Your Android Device' - I even got a warning on a couple that they may not be compatible. I know this presently won't be recognising a BB for what it is, let alone the distinction between models, but I suspect that given the (hopefully) 10m+ new handsets per year BB will be shoving Amazon's way, that they will start testing compatibility of all apps against a portfolio of BB models.

Having this information accurately available from the store itself will remove a great deal of aggro from people running things that don't work, or don't scale properly to screens like the Q5 or Q10. Has anybody had any word officially on how it will all work?
    jimlockhead likes this.
    07-02-14 11:04 AM
    Given that we are apparently getting a native (rather than ported) Amazon Store app with 10.3, it seems that the 'at your own risk/hobbyist' use of Android is finally coming to an end, and that Amazon have agreed to support users.

Whilst 'buying' all the free apps during the $100 giveaway, using the Amazon website, I noticed that they show ticks for compatibility with 'Your Android Device' - I even got a warning on a couple that they may not be compatible. I know this presently won't be recognising a BB for what it is, let alone the distinction between models, but I suspect that given the (hopefully) 10m+ new handsets per year BB will be shoving Amazon's way, that they will start testing compatibility of all apps against a portfolio of BB models.

Having this information accurately available from the store itself will remove a great deal of aggro from people running things that don't work, or don't scale properly to screens like the Q5 or Q10. Has anybody had any word officially on how it will all work?
    You can hope...

But I doubt that Amazon has any plans to test any BlackBerry devices (or really just the latest BB10 OS) - that will be BlackBerry's responsibility.

Didn't know they had announced the App would be native and not a port. If they are going native then I assume that BlackBerry is tweaking it to better fit the needs of BlackBerry users. If they don't either improve the RUNTIME or find a way to filter out nonworking apps.... someone buying a app that doesn't work and being one of thousands that contact Amazon for a refund, over and over and over....will be a problem.
    07-02-14 11:24 AM
    The Amazon App store will be native? News to me. Where was this info from?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:32 AM
    Amazon does recognise the phone as a BB10 one already rather than a generic Android. I only noticed this recently, but apparently always has.
    07-02-14 11:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    The CB article regarding the announcement stated it... but who knows.

Edit: it was the Inside BlackBerry blog (as linked to in the post below)

Posted via CB10
    eldricho likes this.
    07-02-14 11:38 AM
    Hi - I saw it on the Inside BlackBerry blog: Say What?! BlackBerry Partnership with Amazon Appstore is Turning Heads | Inside BlackBerry

The specific bit of relevance is buried quite far down: "The partnership will result in the Amazon Appstore running as a native BlackBerry app, with a greatly simplified interface and streamlined user experience."
    eldricho likes this.
    07-02-14 11:39 AM
    Amazon does recognise the phone as a BB10 one already rather than a generic Android. I only noticed this recently, but apparently always has.
    It sure does. And they've been surprisingly accurate with compatibility... Of the free ones they were giving out, the ones that had a little red X by my "z10" would not load. wonder how they know? Doesn't seem like they would test them, but who knows, maybe they do
    07-02-14 11:42 AM
    It sure does. And they've been surprisingly accurate with compatibility... Of the free ones they were giving out, the ones that had a little red X by my "z10" would not load. wonder how they know? Doesn't seem like they would test them, but who knows, maybe they do
    Where did you see that little red X? I don't see anything like that on the App Store? Do you mean within the settings of the Amazon account?
    07-02-14 11:45 AM
    The app store probably just checks if the device OS has the minimum API level required by the app. An example is LE Bluetooth which is unavailable to API below 18 Jellybean 4.3 There is no individual app testing to BB10 in the Amazon store though I think this is a good and necessary for BB. You have to wonder if BB10 users will be able to rate apps or not. It could be a source of friction between Amazon and devs.
    07-02-14 12:13 PM
    Where did you see that little red X? I don't see anything like that on the App Store? Do you mean within the settings of the Amazon account?
    On the website. If you login to Amazon and look at games and apps, it shows compatibility in the upper right hand corner. I'd post a screenshot, but my pin is on it, haha
    Banco likes this.
    07-02-14 01:44 PM
    The app store probably just checks if the device OS has the minimum API level required by the app. An example is LE Bluetooth which is unavailable to API below 18 Jellybean 4.3 There is no individual app testing to BB10 in the Amazon store though I think this is a good and necessary for BB. You have to wonder if BB10 users will be able to rate apps or not. It could be a source of friction between Amazon and devs.
    That's what I kinda figured, except I'm almost positive that one of the non compatible apps only required android 4.0, which would be odd since we have 4.2
    07-02-14 01:45 PM
    On the website. If you login to Amazon and look at games and apps, it shows compatibility in the upper right hand corner. I'd post a screenshot, but my pin is on it, haha
    No, that is okay I know where you mean now. Cheers for that.
    07-02-14 02:00 PM
    That's what I kinda figured, except I'm almost positive that one of the non compatible apps only required android 4.0, which would be odd since we have 4.2
    I wonder if it was an app optimized for Kindle and uses Amazon specific features like Amazon Device Messaging. Its counter intuitive but even if you have the latest Android device some apps will give you a non-compatibility warning.
    07-02-14 02:15 PM
    Hi - I saw it on the Inside BlackBerry blog: Say What?! BlackBerry Partnership with Amazon Appstore is Turning Heads | Inside BlackBerry

The specific bit of relevance is buried quite far down: "The partnership will result in the Amazon Appstore running as a native BlackBerry app, with a greatly simplified interface and streamlined user experience."
    Thanks for this, didn't ever see it!
    Mystery has finally been solved

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 04:40 PM
    Amazon App Store - Compatibility Checker-amazon.jpg
    07-02-14 05:44 PM
    Interesting. It doesn't have a clue what my Q10 is. It is just referred to as my 'Android device'

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 06:14 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amazon.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	282406
    Thanks buddy!
    07-02-14 06:53 PM
    I wonder if it was an app optimized for Kindle and uses Amazon specific features like Amazon Device Messaging. Its counter intuitive but even if you have the latest Android device some apps will give you a non-compatibility warning.
    Interesting.. Yeah, I wonder... I'm very curious to see how the app store ends up looking on BB10 anyway. Have they stated whether it would be native or not?
    07-02-14 06:54 PM
    Interesting.. Yeah, I wonder... I'm very curious to see how the app store ends up looking on BB10 anyway. Have they stated whether it would be native or not?
    Answer is a couple of posts up

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 07:18 PM
    I wouldn't worry about compatibility. I've been downloading the Amazon Free App of the day for a long time now. Maybe two months. Basically everything works. This on 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 07:27 PM
    Amazon doesn't support many countries... they have to fix that asap

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    07-02-14 07:30 PM
    I watched the N4BB podcast after the Amazon deal was announced and there was some confusion on whether the Amazon store was going to be native. Once of the guys was referring to the Inside BlackBerry blog highlighted above but the other guy showed a tweet from on of the guys heading the developers something team. I think his name was Neil something (don't remember lol). The tweet said the Amazon App was going to be the android port so I don't know what to believe. Obviously a native experience will be preferred.
    07-02-14 11:30 PM
    I watched the N4BB podcast after the Amazon deal was announced and there was some confusion on whether the Amazon store was going to be native. Once of the guys was referring to the Inside BlackBerry blog highlighted above but the other guy showed a tweet from on of the guys heading the developers something team. I think his name was Neil something (don't remember lol). The tweet said the Amazon App was going to be the android port so I don't know what to believe. Obviously a native experience will be preferred.
    Yeah, I had seen that thing the other poster quoted, something about a "native experience"... But my impression was that they didn't intend to fully rebuild the appstore, just port it over and preload it onto bb10 devices. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Either way, good news for us
    07-02-14 11:49 PM
    I'm not sure how final the 10.3 runtime is yet, but I would assume that BlackBerry would be able to implement some sort of automated testing system. They may even already be screening the existing Amazon app catalogue, ready for launch.
    07-03-14 03:56 AM