Not really, that includes every update, every OS major update probably, every re download etc.
    Sounds like you are nitpicking.

I think the point texazzpete and pythons are trying to make is that Skype is clearly popular enough to have consistently stayed in top 20 apps in iOS/Android. I don't think the exact count of unique users hardly matters here. That's just nitpicking. If it's one of the top-downloaded apps, then clearly, RIM should be looking at as an essential app and RIM should try to get it on BB 10 ASAP (maybe they already have, who knows). Whether or not people use Skype app after downloading is a different story altogether. But the users at least perceive this app to be essential and surely not having this app in BlackBerry would be disadvantageous. Perceptions matter as much as reality here.
    12-05-12 06:32 PM
    .No Netflix for the BB10 equates to no Neflix for the Playbook = good as DOA.
    .The masses could care less about 'peek & flow' if it doesn't peek and flow from Skype and Netflix.
    ...This is just the reality of the situation.
    No it is not the reality of the situation. You need to research this a little better.The masses will care about 'peek & flow, the hub platform, and cascades' because its revolutionary Not everyone sums up the value of a phone simply because of Skype or Netflix. Netflix is just a novelty anyway on a smartphone, although I can see the benefit of it on Playbook. Its simply just not productive other than 'wow'ing your friends and reducing yourself to adolescense .For me I care more about messaging my wife and kids and call quality than watching "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" on my 4" screen phone
    12-05-12 07:19 PM
    Yep. You are the only one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-05-12 07:39 PM
    No it is not the reality of the situation. You need to research this a little better.The masses will care about 'peek & flow, the hub platform, and cascades' because its revolutionary Not everyone sums up the value of a phone simply because of Skype or Netflix. Netflix is just a novelty anyway on a smartphone, although I can see the benefit of it on Playbook. Its simply just not productive other than 'wow'ing your friends and reducing yourself to adolescense .For me I care more about messaging my wife and kids and call quality than watching "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" on my 4" screen phone
    I am with pythons on this. Skype and NetFlix being placeholder for not just themselves but other top downloaded apps.

I think we - most of BB users - tend to choose function over form, practicality over flaunt. And that's why we have stuck with BlackBerry. But clearly a lot (non-trivial number) of potential customers also value style and pomp. These apps (Skype, NetFlix etc) may or may not be practical. They may or may not even be used after being downloaded. But these apps are being perceived as essential. Users can decide whether or not they want to watch NetFlix on a 4 inch screen. That's their decision. But they want that option to be available to them. Specially, when it's available on other competing platforms and has been available for a while now!

By the way, nothing wrong with users being interested in "wow'ing their friends". If only a small number of people were interested in features or apps that wow, then it might be okay to ignore those features. Can't cater to everyone. But if a LOT of users are interested in those kind of apps and features. Then it shouldn't be ignored.
    pythons likes this.
    12-05-12 07:45 PM
    The masses of consumers will only care about peek and flow IF they can peek and flow from the Apps, that are to them, Apps of value.....
    ...If what you are saying held water "Liquid Graphics" should have been a real barn burner for RIM - it should have increased market share instead of loosing it.
    ...Like I said previously - you, me and belfast love Blackberry - so RIM should care less what we think and CONSENTRATE on what everyone who left them thinks!
    ...I'm saying I know a ton of people in my own company who have told me WHY.

People simply got tired of NOT being able to use the popular apps IOS and DROID and WP have no problem using.....
    ...What are the two apps that those three devices have ZERO problems using????
    12-05-12 09:49 PM
    OK, if Neflix and Skype are sooooo important, why aren't windows phones selling? Why the old BBOS devices STILL sell better then WP7&8? How do you explain that?

I'm all for them being there but it's simply not as important as you might think.
    12-06-12 01:28 AM
    OK, if Neflix and Skype are sooooo important, why aren't windows phones selling? Why the old BBOS devices STILL sell better then WP7&8? How do you explain that?

I'm all for them being there but it's simply not as important as you might think.
    WP7.5 outsold BBOS in North America where Netflix is available.

BBOS sales improvement came from mainly Asia-Pacific/Middle East/African markets where these services are less widely used...and where BBM is a must-have.

I do not think BBOS7 sales will outstrip WP8 sales. As soon as the just-announced Lumia 620 WP8 device hits the Asian market for $249, Nokia will likely pull ahead.

Now let me reverse this on you.

You're fond of touting the benefits of security of the BB OS. Do we now say you're misled and security isn't important because iOS and Android have been outselling BBOS by very very large margins?
    ubizmo likes this.
    12-06-12 05:32 AM
    Yeah, in each apps. You see, we both use The same IOS 6. So it will be no difference from you get at 5 and what I find in 4.
    You don't have to do it in the app.
    Attached Thumbnails Am I the only one fearing Rim is selling air to stay alive?-img_8700.jpg  
    12-06-12 06:28 AM
    When WP7 was released, Skype wasn't present. When it finally became available, it was in beta form and had serious problems; I don't know if these have been worked out in WP8. Finally, nobody is claiming that these two apps and nothing else are sufficient for the success of a mobile platform. WP has other problems. It was hoped that most of these would be solved in WP8, but they weren't.

Nobody's claiming that if BB10 has Netflix and Skype, it can otherwise suck and still be successful. To take one example, look at the inability of the PB browser to organize bookmarks. This is basic browser functionality these days and if BB10 shares this shortcoming (Maybe we already know the answer to this), that's going to be a problem, even if all the high-demand apps are present. If gmail calendar, contact, and folder sync don't work better on BB10 than they do on BBOS, that's a big problem, regardless of how many apps there are. Since the PB already handles Google stuff well, I don't foresee a problem; just making a point.

And that point is the same one that everybody has been making for months. BB10 needs to launch in a very polished, "complete" state, with the kind of functionality people expect from a BlackBerry and the kind of apps they expect from an Android or iOS device. If it doesn't, it will get a similar reception to what WP has had: Interesting but "immature." MS can afford a long childhood for WP; I don't think RIM can afford it for BB10.
    12-06-12 08:08 AM
84 ... 234