The success of BB10 will all depend on how well the new devices function like speed and no freeze ups! Owners will expect an almost flawless device with little or no issues. This is where Rim needs to focus on for BB10 to become a success. User experience within days after launch will be the real test!
    As I have said before in other post Rim needs to start advertising now to peak the interest of perspective owners.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-04-12 05:24 AM
    No, this is not really a unified inbox. I am not sure if you have used BlackBerry. BlackBerry's unified inbox is very different. It collects all kinds of messages/notifications. Your SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Emails (from any email account) appear right in the inbox. If you clicked on FB message, it'd automatically take you to FB message screen.

It's hard to explain if you haven't used BB before.
    I thought you meant unified inbox (emails). The notification bar collects all of your notifications from different apps. If I receive a message on Facebook I can get to it from the notification bar, same with an update from twitter, LinkedIn, CNN, or any other application that I have set up to push notifications to my phone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    12-04-12 05:40 AM
    OP,

Also, another innovation that you've missed is actually under-the-hood. The QNX is a great OS. These under-the-hood innovations don't count as some tangible feature but they speed-up and improve user-accessible features. For eg: if your are running an app that is consuming too much memory or eating too any many resources, your BB10 OS (QNX) won't just hang. Most likely, the offending application will turn gray/be terminated without affecting your overall smartphone experience.
    Android handles applications in a similar way.

12-04-12 05:46 AM
    I thought you meant unified inbox (emails). The notification bar collects all of your notifications from different apps. If I receive a message on Facebook I can get to it from the notification bar, same with an update from twitter, LinkedIn, CNN, or any other application that I have set up to push notifications to my phone.

The problem with that is you only get new notifications, if you don't act on them when you open them they're gone and you have to go to the specific app to get them.
    z1nsane likes this.
    12-04-12 05:50 AM
    You could say the same thing about the iPhone 5 or Android. They are both just different ways of doing the same thing.
    If the BB10 way is better, then people will gravitate to it.
    12-04-12 05:58 AM
    Android handles applications in a similar way.
    I don't think they are technically as sophisticated.
    12-04-12 06:00 AM
    The problem with that is you only get new notifications, if you don't act on them when you open them they're gone and you have to go to the specific app to get them.
    That's true, I can see how that would bother some people.

12-04-12 06:50 AM
    As I have said before in other post Rim needs to start advertising now to peak the interest of perspective owners.
    I don't think it's a good idea to start advertising just before Christmas for a product that won't be available until well after Christmas.

I don't think RIM is selling air. They're selling a new and efficient user experience, combined with an established brand. We hope that most of the most-loved features of BBOS will be retained in BB10, but we don't know exactly how that will turn out.
    12-04-12 06:57 AM
    RIM does not need to change the world to be a success, all they need is from 5 to 10% of an existing market, yes it is essential to RIM, but they don't need a revolution for success
    12-04-12 07:03 AM
    I've got to agree with you over the Skype issue - and you might as well add Netflix to that make it or break it list as well.....
    ...No Netflix for the BB10 equates to no Neflix for the Playbook = good as DOA.
    I'm tired of this, to be honest. However, your next point makes up for it, and is much truer than the regurgitated soundbite of "DOA" :-

...The question is IF RIM can deliver those MISSING popular Apps that aided it in their prolonged blood bath.
    Skype and NetFlix are not necessary on a tablet, and are held against RIM like some sort of standard. People will not believe me, but I have no need at all for either service. However, I would love to see them there so that I can get on with not using them, rather than reading about how they are the be-all-and-end-all.

We've seen too many hardware leaks, software demos and demonstrations to know that the whole thing surrounding BB10 is not air or snake oil. It will either make RIM, or have no effect on their business vector - no amount of conjecture, speculation, or tub-thumping on a forum will have any bearing on that. On a personal level, I'm really looking forward to release, and hopefully using in the early part of next year. My PB does exactly what I would expect it to, and any upgrade to that will help what should be a great pairing (BT pun intended!).

In other news, this (not from/at pythons, just in general)

...could care less...
    really gets my goat. If you could care less, that means that you care. If you couldn't care less, then your meaning is far clearer. Sorry for the OT rant *breathes*...
    12-04-12 07:19 AM
    Are you saying you think the iPhone 5 has new and innovating things on it, or did you misworded that sentence? Because please tell me; what new innovating things are there on an iPhone 5?
    What I meant to say was that the Iphones general negative comment was the lacking of any new innovating stuff ... Wouldn't know personally though, I was never attracted to any Iphone.

Anyways, had some great and interesting replies here for which thank you. For ex, I had no idea bb were the only phones with a unified inbox ....
    12-04-12 10:21 AM
    Android manufacturers are innovating. Apple is not innovating beyond manufacturing processes.
    12-04-12 10:37 AM
    Not sure if they are selling air but i do know they will be selling BlackBerry10 devices and im buying
    ctuffy likes this.
    12-04-12 12:47 PM
    Android manufacturers are innovating. Apple is not innovating beyond manufacturing processes.
    Lol, what are the Android manufacturers inovating exactly?
    12-04-12 12:51 PM
    Lol, what are the Android manufacturers inovating exactly?
    Why.........super thin, almost flimsy hardware with oversize marginal quality screens and one mean overlay that resembles almost nothing android.........of course. If that's not innovation I don't know what is!!
    12-04-12 01:25 PM
    Compared to what iOS has, Android has been adding new things and going in a better direction than Apple. Apple hasn't changed much about the OS...Android has.

The argument can be made that iOS is the new BB OS because BB5 is similar to BB6 is similar to BB7....is NOT similar to BB10.
    12-04-12 01:31 PM
    The best way to know how good BB10 is, will be when you can actually play with it in your hands and measure your actual experience with what you expect and/or want for yourself. Honestly, before I jump and buy BB10, I will want to quickly peruse through the system in a store and then decide. Although I will probably buy it anyway since I have enjoyed my BB experience thus far, and with no interest in Android or iOS right now. WP8 is a maybe but only if my brief BB10 experience in the store fails so badly...which I highly doubt it. pfft.
    Barljo likes this.
    12-04-12 04:31 PM
    RIM wasn't the one selling air. It is the analysts and reviewers themselves who keep saying that BB10 is really good. Article after article, anyone who has touched it was unanimously positive about it. Even perma-bear analysts changed their tunes.

All RIM did was demonstrate the OS and let them play with it. So play with it first.
    And some people are easily distracted by shiny bobbles. What's your point? Until BlackBerry 10 devices are in the hands of actual users all the pontification by the financial analysts and technology reviewers are hot air. So in a sense the thread title is correct although not for the reason you might think if you did not parse the word choice and your own response.
    12-04-12 06:02 PM
    They're selling a new and efficient user experience, combined with an established a severely tarnished brand.
    Fixed the statement for you.
    12-04-12 06:06 PM
    I think the point that you are missing is that BB devices generally does "the hub" already but Iphone and Android does not perform this fuction well it at all. The Hub is being marketed so powerfully to IOS and Android users, not the people that have BB's already. If BB wants to be sucessful in the US then it has to get market share from IOS and Android.

Before everyone thought that BB devices were significantly sub-par. Now BB has to show the market that it is at least as good if not better.

The idea that I get from BB at the moment is, if you are a current BB user and you like your phone then you will love BB10. If you were a BB user and gave it up because of the quarks with the past BB devices then you will like or even love BB10 devices.
    z1nsane likes this.
    12-04-12 08:13 PM
    The idea that I get from BB at the moment is, if you are a current BB user and you like your phone then you will love BB10. If you were a BB user and gave it up because of the quarks with the past BB devices then you will like or even love BB10 devices.
    +1 to that.
    12-04-12 08:16 PM
    Sorry if there's a similar thread somewhere, couldn't see any though ...

Anyways, just as most of you I have been waiting for the BB10 for quite a while now. Probably different than some, I am just an end-user and no programmer, reviewer or what so ever. Now, I was over looking some of the new BB10 features to come and couldn't see any real novelties or even worse, just over excitement on a stupid finger move. Please proof me different or feel free to explain where exactly I am missing the point because the more I read and the longer I wait the more I fear for the last disappointment before making a move to the competition.

The 'hub': Explained as the most wonderful and new feature. But when I press on my general message screen (bold 9700) I get exactly the same. Someone please explain me where they have gone different.

The video dialing: Yeey, nice..... but it only works over wifi ... Don't most people use skype anyway? I mean, what's the use of just another copy intent of skype. People use skype and are not interested in any other options, accept it and do something about it.

Contacts, agenda etc: I haven't found a lot except some one telling us it looks better now. I am very sorry, that won't do. We are about 2 months away for a product only us fools have been waiting so long for and we don't know yet how we will deal with the pc and/or our outlook setup. Because the truth is the truth, at this point it works but not as we want to (unless you use BES). Will we finally be able to implement our business contacts fom bcm and other folders? Will we be able to use an exchange account or yet again use a usb cable or bluetooth? Will there still be desktop manager? If so, could you maybe put an option in case of different data -> whatever changed last...

I am a sales person and I fear what our beloved Rim have been doing all this time is selling us air. The most annoying feature on the L-series BB10 on a personal note is that unblocking screen. Get over it, it looks nice but a simple button would have done the job just as good and even faster!!!

Feel free to explain me where I am missing the point as the more I read the more disappointed I am starting to feel.
    Do you have any idea what you're talking about? It honestly seems as though you haven't read one article or watched one video about BB10. If you've done even the slightest research you would know exactly what this operating system will offer, and how it stands out above the others. You're clearly a troll, and we're just feeding you.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-04-12 11:10 PM
    I know we want BB10 to be successful. But, it will require a lot more than new BlackBerries, new platform, and the dismissal by some of all other mobile platforms. The iPhone and my SGlll have been selling strong. Less we forget, the question mark is still over RIM until the launch and then actually start selling BB10s. After that, the ish talking will be relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-04-12 11:27 PM
    Do you want a phone that makes you highly efficient with the hub, peak and flow or do you want a phone for the masses?

RIM has made it clear they're targeting the "BlackBerry People" not the masses that need that Home Button.

It's the reason a lot of us still use a BlackBerry and BB10 is taking efficency to a whole new level.
    RIM needs to again get the attention of the masses and "us" is a rapidly diminishing demographic....
    ...RIM is where it is right now because it neglected to keep it's hand on the pulse of it's customers.
    ...They left in mass for devices that could use Skype and Netflix.

Look, I don't watch Netflix on my iphone - I think it's pretty foolish to watch serious media on phones as a practice.....
    ...That said one of of lot of people think it's very important - and they think Skype is even more important.
    ...If RIM can't deliver Skype we will all watch things fall apart.
    Bondte likes this.
    12-04-12 11:54 PM
    RIM needs to again get the attention of the masses and "us" is a rapidly diminishing demographic....
    ...RIM is where it is right now because it neglected to keep it's hand on the pulse of it's customers.
    ...They left in mass for devices that could use Skype and Netflix.

Look, I don't watch Netflix on my iphone - I think it's pretty foolish to watch serious media on phones as a practice.....
    ...That said one of of lot of people think it's very important - and they think Skype is even more important.
    ...If RIM can't deliver Skype we will all watch things fall apart.
    Don't you ever get tired of saying the same thing over and over again?

Edit- the "us" or "blackberry people" is not diminishing at all, always increasing in case you haven't noticed. 80 millions and growing use a BB regardless of Skype or Netflix, why? Because take me for example, I have 3 laptops in the house capable of Skype and 3 laptops, a Wii and soon an Xbox3 capable of Netflix streaming. I have no need for them on my phone. On my phone I have an app called Vopium that enables me to make fairly cheap international calls to actual numbers.

I think RIM will have them on BB10, if not at launch then very soon after but to say BB10 will be DOA without them is simply ignoring the 80 and growing BBOS users, that keep buying them regardless.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 12-05-12 at 02:53 AM.
    12-05-12 01:20 AM
84 1234