I think you should get whetever phone you want.

However, I warn you, the iPhone"s touchscreen gets old quick and can get really annoying.
    The battery life is no better than the Bold.

Yes it has a better browser, but it's missing other functions and let's just face it, on-screen keyboards aren't that great.
    I do like thr browser though...that's why I have an iPod Touch to use while I have WiFi. Best of both worlds!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 03:16 PM
    I went from a Pearl (on Verizon) to an iPhone. To start, in my area, the coverage is just not as great as it was on Verizon. Getting to the phone, I am not in love with it. The touch screen gets a bit tedious, and while I know I am not supposed to use it while driving, sometimes you have to dial a number and it takes forever!! Press the button, swipe, press the screen, swipe, poke, etc... all day long! I am dying to go back to a BB, but can't decide which one so I am waiting. I also am a mac user who never had great success with PocketMac/Missing Sync, so for me the only really great thing about the iPhone is how it works with my Macbook. If you are curious try it our for yourself, they do have excellent resale value
    05-08-09 05:04 PM
    I switched from an iphone to a BB curve. I'll never go back. Sucks typing with one. Great for videos with the screen size but that's it. Besides with an iphone you still need a data plan.
    05-08-09 05:16 PM
    If your with At&T now, try out the iphone for the 30days and see if it meets your expectations. The 2 phones you are comparing are very good in their own right, it has to be you that makes the final decision.
    The biggest question for me would be, do I have to have a reliable email device? If so, Blackberry would win hands down.
    05-08-09 06:10 PM
    well, according to their latest commercial, if you want to find out what kind of bird your staring at: IPHONE is the one. if you want to find the nearest coffee house: IPHONE is the one. if you want to send your parents a latest picture of yourself minus your drunk buddies in the background: IPHONE is the one.

Now if you want a serious PDA that actually pushes your e-mail and you can IM, twitter, SMS, MMS, use FB and browse the web all at the same time: then a BlackBerry is the one!

the decision is all up to you actually, asking this question on CB will probably return more towards the BB then the IPHONE.
    05-08-09 06:30 PM
    iPhones are just for the show, fo sho.
    05-08-09 06:32 PM
    I knew this post would come in handy many times. While it is referring to the 8900, most of it still applies here.
    I switched back to BB after using a G1 and 8900 and I could not be happier. I had a 8100 before getting the G1 and iPhone and couldn't stand the thing because it was constantly crashing. Now on the other hand. the 8900 is like my dream BB. It does everything I could want it to do and more. It does everything I want WITHOUT having to jailbreak it (iPhone), or root it (G1). With the iPhone I could only use one app at a time and that gets very annyoying. With the 8900 I can be IMing someone with BeeJive IM, chatting it up on BBM, emailing, and browsing CB all at the same time without a hitch. The 8900 is the best BB made. No question to it. I love my 8900. Once you go Black you never go back. You will love the 8900. For the web browser, I recommend BOLT, I actually prefer it over the iPhone browser because of its speed. Also, soon a new browser called SkyFire is coming to BB and it will support Flash. It was voted best mobile browser at the Webbie Awards. I personally have never used the BB version, but I tried the Windows Mobile version at the T-Mobile Store and I was very impressed. It loaded hulu and YouTube faster than my laptop that has a 1.5Mbs DSL connection; and that was on EDGE! The apps on the iPhone might be cool, but they get boring fast. Also, when you use a BB you going the whole million strong CrackBerry community. The community was one of the main reasons I came back to BB after switching to other platforms. The push email is really great. Let me tell you something, I know a few people around here in the CB community that use their BB as their computer; they don't have a computer because they don't need or want one. That tells you alot about the phone If someone can use it as their main computer that tells you that it is very powerful and reliable. I'd like to hear about an iPhone user that doesn't own a computer. I doubt you'd be able to find one. You can also run any app you want on a BlackBerry, without having to mod anything. If you are not satisfied with the 8900, I would be shocked. You have to update the OS to have really good battery life though. The battery life with .114 (stock OS) is not very good, but if you don't want to update the OS, the 8900 is still a great phone out of the box. I also love that you can type on the 8900 without looking. I've only had my 8900 for about 3 weeks and I'm already touch typing on it. For example, I can watch TV and type a message on my BB at the same time. Example 2, I can be walking in a mall and type a message without walking into people or walls. As you can tell, I am obsessed with my 8900 and it is very hard for me to part with it any time I can't use my BB. I highly recommend this case. I reviewed the case here.Take my word for it, you will love the 8900. PM me if you have any other questions/concerns about using the 8900. Sorry if I repeated anything. Bottom line: Keep the 8900!
    (I gotta stop writing such long replies!)

EDIT: Let's not forget the great camera that the 8900 has along with autofocus. Also, the ability to so easily customize it to your liking.
    Last edited by branden3112; 05-08-09 at 07:17 PM.
    05-08-09 06:38 PM
    If the iphone could get all the functionality of the blackberry I would get it. The big screen and all its functions make me weak sometimes. But it sucks with email, no I'm like BB, can't send MMS (wtf). RIM and apple should marry and make the iBERRY

05-08-09 07:09 PM
    iPhone
    Pro:
    • Trendier, sexier, more youthful type look-True. I love the design of my 8900 though.
    • Touchscreen is far and away superior for gaming, web browsing, gestures, etc.-Gaming, yes. Web browsing, subjective. I really like the web browsing experience with the trackball.
    • Substantially larger screen for videos-Larger, but the same resolution. (320x480)
    • Better 1st party media player software. (Shame on you, RIM. Really.)-Agreed, the iPhone media software can not be beat.
    • Cheaper than the Bold (for the 8GB version)-True. Not much I can say about that.

Con:
    • Zero user serviceable parts. Can't even change out the battery.-Also very hard to replace parts if you break them or scratch them, etc.
    • Memory is not expandable; buy an 8GB iPhone and it will only ever be 8GB.-Yes, this will become less of an issue as the prices of microSD cards comes down.
    • iTunes-Many people use and love this.
    • Touchscreen sucks hard for text entry-You get used to over time, but it's still not as easy as a physical keyboard.
    • You have to jailbreak your phone to run unapproved software-See my other post for info about this.
    • Apple's generally fascist and stupid application approval process for the app store.-I'm not going to comment on this, but I do agree that they should allow come more good apps in.
    • Apple's generally dickheaded attitude towards end users-No, they actually have great customer service.

BlackBerry (considering the Bold specifically)
    Pro:
    • Understated, classic, more professional type look-Depends, some people think that the iPhone is more professional looking.
    • Hardware keyboard (the biggest selling point for me)-Agreed. Especially since you can touch-type; that is something I will never be able to do on an iPhone.
    • More secure (President Obama has a BlackBerry)-Why else do you think most major companies use them?
    • Memory easily expandable up to 32GB (as soon as someone releases a 32GB Micro-SDHC card, that is)-Agreed.
    • Can run unsigned applications without difficulty, as long as they do not need to access privileged functions.-Great for up and coming developers.
    • Can manage media files with any file manager program through USB Mass Storage mode-Great for use on multiple computers.
    • Can also use your device as a USB key-Very handy, though I have never used this feature before.
    • Hot swappable SD card and easily changed out battery-Can be a selling point for many people.
    • RIM makes it easy to charge a second battery using a powerstation or EBC-I don't even know what an EBC is, so I can't comment on this.
    • Screen, while smaller, is still damned good-Agreed. It is very clear because it is a smaller screen with the same resolution.
    • RIM aren't a bunch of control freaks trying to dictate which carrier you can operate the phone on or which software you may run on the device you paid for-That's one of the things that really makes me mad about the iPhone.
    • Remote lobotomy feature if you lose it (Needs BES or BB Unite)-Very useful feature for people that carry sensitive information on their BlackBerry's.

Con:
    • More expensive (than 8GB iPhone)-True for the Bold, but for most BlackBerry's this is not true.
    • Only 1GB onboard memory (larger capacity is a small extra cost for the Micro-SD card.)-True, but on a BlackBerry this is ample space because the apps are small and simple yet powerful, not huge bogged down apps like on the iPhone. Why else do you think that the iPhone needs over 500MB's just for the system software?
    • 1st party media player software needs work-Can't say much about that.
    • Less selection of applications-True, but a lot of the iPhone's apps, while plentiful, are also dumb and of the use-once-and-then-delete variety.
    • Can't impersonate drinking a glass of beer-Yeah, but that has no useful purpose.

So, what do you all think?-I think that you made a great list. I don't think that you left anything major out.What'd I forget on the list?
    I put my thoughts on the points above in bold.
    05-08-09 07:17 PM
    Er, really? You think RIM has shoddy quality control? The Bold has the best fit and finish I've seen from a smartphone, even considering the slightly loose battery door.

FWIW, I think the battery door is somewhat intentional on RIM's part. Ever dropped your berry on the carpet and noticed the way the battery and door go flying, but don't get damaged? If the battery door were better attached, it would be prone to breakage in drops like that. I think it's a really good design consideration. I've seen this behavior from a Curve, my old Pearl, and my new Bold. Never have I seen the door fall off one of these phones unless it were dropped.
    I've never thought of it that way, but that is some good reasoning.
    05-08-09 07:20 PM
    The three main reasons I personally wouldn't switch are:
    1. No physical keyboard...touchscreen typing is simply dreadful, and yes I've tried it a lot.
    2. No multi-tasking...this is a killer for me.
    3. BB is MUCH better as an overall communications device...that's my primary need. Music, browsing, YouTube, games, etc. are all of minor importance to me.

For me, these would trump any other reasons I might otherwise consider to switch.

But what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander. Your needs may be (and probably are) different than mine...do what works best for you. So no, you are not crazy. Sounds to me like you are just trying to make an informed decision. That's a good thing.
    05-08-09 09:22 PM
    Also, keep in mind, for every Mac user out there, there are ten PC user's who still have a months beer money in their pockets.
    You may have a months beer money in your pocket but I have years of Jack Daniels money in my pocket.

PC's just aren't as reliable as the Mac, it's that simple. Back in the 80's most companies used Macs, then the cheap PC came around saving the company a couple of short term dollars.

Oh and we don't have to worry about the latest virus hammering our computers.
    05-08-09 09:44 PM
    OP, seems like you have your answer, so it doesn't matter what we think. Why the angst? Just get an iPhone and enjoy it.
    Oh...you're not crazy.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 05-08-09 at 09:50 PM.
    05-08-09 09:47 PM
    OP, have you come to a conclusion?
    05-08-09 10:14 PM
    I tried a I phone and yes I admit it I liked it. But just as I really cool iPod. I got a iPod touch and that solved that. My boss got a iphone just to be cool and 2 months later he sold it on eBay and was back to a blackberry. He and I hate att and the horrible service they give in major cities like Chicago were I live and la and new York were I have traveled for business with my boss while he had a iphone. It was kind of embarrassing for him to ask to use my pearl to make phone calls after spending so much on the iphone. If you have your heart set the go to apple it sound like you have a lot of there products. I do not like Macs because I am not a millionaire or have a trustfund to spend on there products. I know rim has not come out with very different style phones other than the storm which is not great in some peoples opinion. But BlackBerry have always been about business and are not about trying to be a toy. App world is only a little over a month old and it is too early to call it a failure. But to rap my rambling up. If you want to go then no one will change your mind. I hope the iphone is great for you and it gives you no problems. I will stick with blackberry.

05-08-09 10:35 PM
    no not crazy at all
    when you`re thinking to buy an Iphone instead of a Blackberry
    that means you have no use of the blackberry services....
    when you want full entertainment go with iPhone....
    but I`d rather go with blackberry+PSP/NDS, with this I can get the blackberry service and greater multimedia far cheaper than iPhone
    05-08-09 10:48 PM
    The media services on a Blackberry Bold are actually pretty good. I have had an iPhone and a Bold(curve too) and while the media player is excellent on the iPhone, the Bold media player is a very close second. Besides that you can customize the ringtones for each SMS, MMS, e-mail address, etc.. The physical keyboard is also fantastic.

I will say though that it's very close between the two devices... For me its a dead heat
    05-08-09 11:59 PM
    The media services on a Blackberry Bold are actually pretty good. I have had an iPhone and a Bold(curve too) and while the media player is excellent on the iPhone, the Bold media player is a very close second. Besides that you can customize the ringtones for each SMS, MMS, e-mail address, etc.. The physical keyboard is also fantastic.

I will say though that it's very close between the two devices... For me its a dead heat
    Huh...with the right headphones, my Bold's music player surpasses my iTouch...blew my mind. Matter of fact, my Bold with the earphones that came with it, was WAY better than my iTouch with the apple earphones. Once I bought premium earphones, and adjusted my iTunes settings, I was a very happy camper.
    05-09-09 12:11 AM
    I've had both iphones and after all this time I needed something fresh.

I love the iphone and yes,it's flawed but there wasn't really one thing that made me switch other than just being bored and wanting a new toy. I wanted to play on the other side of the fence.

I hear great things about BB's and you see them all over and so I made the switch and it was a horrible,horrible mistake.

I miss my iphone dearly because it WORKED!

My BB just doesn't work.

-WAP,MMS,RADIO APPS...don't work.

Tonight I tried to download app world and the freaking thing is pulled. Finally it reappears but when you launch it to DL an app it can't connect.

I've tried for 3 days to connect to blackberry.com to update the software on my phone......the loader launches..it does some checkpoints and then craps out saying some error about my freakin' internet connection.

W/ itunes I plug in the iphone and 2 clicks later I'm updated.

BB makes you jump through hoops and it's just absurd how often something doesn't work.

It's garbage.

I've never been so angry and unimpressed with a phone/service.

Unless you are a hardcore business man who only does email I can't see why anybody would want a BB over an iphone.

BB's completely suck for web. I mean...what an utter pointless exercise that is. You can have your copy and paste .....I'll keep being able to actually read the damn screen.

And the build quality..I mean...I've held $75 prepay phones that felt more solid than BB's. These phones are not put together tight at all.

My wife held a coworkers curve and couldn't believe how cheap it felt.

So,half the functions on my phone don't work. App world is a joke.
    For 3 days running I can't update the OS on my phone because of some bogus error.
    Oh..and this whoe paypal thing.....wow..what a completely stupid idea that is.

I am not setting up a payhell account to buy apps! To make that the only payment choice is asinine.

I'm not ripping on anybody who has had a good relationship with their blackberry. I wanted to fall completely in love with the BB experience. My wife loves her BB flip so far so some of this may just be me.

But just too many things have gone wrong for me and things never got off on the right foot.

I am by no means going to trumpet the iphone. It has its fiar share of issues and Apple is far from saintly.

But gosh darn it....my iphone did what it was supposed to do when I wanted it to do it. Updating and buying apps was a painless experience.

The only issues I ever had with it were att's poor networks fault.

I guess the moral of my story is..don't know what you've got til it's gone.

The iphone may not be for everyone so I won't say it's 'better' than BB.

For ME..it is but thats me.

I can say even with all my problems I would give BB another shot one day far into the future. But for now I need to wash my hands of BB.
    05-09-09 12:23 AM
    Wow, now I'm more conflicted than before. I'm with you guys on the typing without looking part (freaks my gf out) and I'm always on the road so there some times where all I have is the bb and that's what I use for everything. I didn't know that the iphone couldn't multi-task which is a very important thing for me. I'm guessing I'm going to wait til june 30th when apple releases all the details about 3.0 (I'm really curious as to what the 100 new features are). Has anyone tried mobileme?

05-09-09 01:40 AM
    I've had both iphones and after all this time I needed something fresh.

I love the iphone and yes,it's flawed but there wasn't really one thing that made me switch other than just being bored and wanting a new toy. I wanted to play on the other side of the fence.

I hear great things about BB's and you see them all over and so I made the switch and it was a horrible,horrible mistake.

I miss my iphone dearly because it WORKED!

My BB just doesn't work.

-WAP,MMS,RADIO APPS...don't work.

Tonight I tried to download app world and the freaking thing is pulled. Finally it reappears but when you launch it to DL an app it can't connect.

I've tried for 3 days to connect to blackberry.com to update the software on my phone......the loader launches..it does some checkpoints and then craps out saying some error about my freakin' internet connection.

W/ itunes I plug in the iphone and 2 clicks later I'm updated.

BB makes you jump through hoops and it's just absurd how often something doesn't work.

It's garbage.

I've never been so angry and unimpressed with a phone/service.

Unless you are a hardcore business man who only does email I can't see why anybody would want a BB over an iphone.

BB's completely suck for web. I mean...what an utter pointless exercise that is. You can have your copy and paste .....I'll keep being able to actually read the damn screen.

And the build quality..I mean...I've held $75 prepay phones that felt more solid than BB's. These phones are not put together tight at all.

My wife held a coworkers curve and couldn't believe how cheap it felt.

So,half the functions on my phone don't work. App world is a joke.
    For 3 days running I can't update the OS on my phone because of some bogus error.
    Oh..and this whoe paypal thing.....wow..what a completely stupid idea that is.

I am not setting up a payhell account to buy apps! To make that the only payment choice is asinine.

I'm not ripping on anybody who has had a good relationship with their blackberry. I wanted to fall completely in love with the BB experience. My wife loves her BB flip so far so some of this may just be me.

But just too many things have gone wrong for me and things never got off on the right foot.

I am by no means going to trumpet the iphone. It has its fiar share of issues and Apple is far from saintly.

But gosh darn it....my iphone did what it was supposed to do when I wanted it to do it. Updating and buying apps was a painless experience.

The only issues I ever had with it were att's poor networks fault.

I guess the moral of my story is..don't know what you've got til it's gone.

The iphone may not be for everyone so I won't say it's 'better' than BB.

For ME..it is but thats me.

I can say even with all my problems I would give BB another shot one day far into the future. But for now I need to wash my hands of BB.
    well, look at which one you got. the flip... of course it's not going to be as good or as satisfying as the other bb's. but that's your mistake, better go back to your iphone
    Last edited by ninja please; 05-09-09 at 01:58 AM.
    05-09-09 01:55 AM
    I'll be upfront about it, I'm thinking of getting the new iphone when it comes out (should be second half of this year) and just hear me out and tell me if I'm crazy or not.
    I've been a bb user for maybe the past 6 years and I've always sworn by them, solid build, reliable, etc. But lately, I've just been getting more and more discontent. I can't do proper web browsing without using bolt and even that isn't all that great. Battery life for the bold sucks horribly. I've recently updated to .266 and at random times, my phone will just freeze, as in the led stays bright red or blue and nothing will happen for hours unless I pop out the battery. Not to mention the godforsaken wait times, I'm @ close to 6 minutes waiting for it to reboot fully after a reset. And honestly, this chrome trim is pissing me off with all the sides chipping off, I mean come on, I paid close to $400 for this phone, ur telling me the paint can't stay on, the battery door can't be tight, etc, etc. And not to mention the privilege of using a bb is definately getting to me @ close to $50 just for the data access. Oh, and how could I forget that adorable leather pouch which is like a vise which won't let go (I've been using it for 2 months, its still not loose enough. Did I mention that it won't sync with my mac (keep in mind, $1 in every $3 spent on laptops is on a apple laptop)

As you can see, I'm pissed @ my phone and I think the main reason is because I feel let down by RIM. Research in motion is no longer in motion, its stagnated if not getting worse. I'm starting to feel that RIM is like GM, a million different models using the same basic internals with quality getting crappier and crappier.

Apple on the other hand, listens to criticisms and such. People have complained about the lack of copy/paste, video recorder, etc etc and guess what, the new iphone incorporates all this and more and not to mention apple's amazing quality standards and support. I mean, come on RIM, what is seriously up with you? Come this december, I can't wait to get my hands on the new iphone.

The things I'll enjoy on my iphone (hopefully):
    Ability to sync with my mac, ability to sync with itunes, the fact that there are so many apps (let's face it, RIM app world is a disgrace after all the high hopes we had), paint not chipping off, plenty of 3rd party accessories, reboot times under 1 min, better battery life, more money in my pocket, etc.

Am I crazy or do you guys agree with me?

I am going to say this from a non judgemental stance as I use a mac and also came from a iPhone..

sometimes when your sitting on the oposite side it always looks greener on the other side.

The truth is the current iPhone still has many flaws and one thing even with all the upgrades to the original it lacks major issue in communication.

the device is definetly MEDIA HEAVEN but it lacks in a lot of key features that even dumb phones take advantage of.

Do i think the iPhone is a bad phone. NO WAY it completely inovated a new revolution and certainly runs very solid.

However the theory that apple has about not being able to change our own batterys because were dumb? has got to go. its dumb to make a device that you cant change to a new battery on your own. EVEN the new 17 inch mac book pro you cant change the battery on. This is rediculous.

Anyway I want to say that when and if you travel over to the other side keep in mind there is a ton of things your leaving behind that you are probably 100 percent used to having now.

Do i think you wont like it maybe, but maybe not

some peopel love the phone but keep in mind as much as Apple touts business on that device (even with the 3.0 upgrade) it falls miles behind.

I will be willing to bet that the major changes in the new iPhone have everything to do with hardware and just a few things to do with software.

In the end your phone is the phone that you USE so for me or anyone else ot make that decision is pretty unreliable

but I suggest you really look into what the capabilities are and how it actually works because I have a strong feeling that the communication on your blackberry your going to miss in a extreme way.

It really is a trade off of what you like better.
    05-09-09 02:27 AM
    I believe is not an actual "new" phone. It's just an update: 3.0. So for current 3G iphone users they can update their firmware to the new 3.0 and do all these new things. Hardware will be the same, it's just the software thats different
    05-09-09 02:40 AM
    I have mobileme and its expensive but it does do everything as advertised. It keeps your calendar and contacts in sync. You can add a contact online and it gets synced to your phone within minutes OTA. The push e-mail works pretty well too.

Wow, now I'm more conflicted than before. I'm with you guys on the typing without looking part (freaks my gf out) and I'm always on the road so there some times where all I have is the bb and that's what I use for everything. I didn't know that the iphone couldn't multi-task which is a very important thing for me. I'm guessing I'm going to wait til june 30th when apple releases all the details about 3.0 (I'm really curious as to what the 100 new features are). Has anyone tried mobileme?

05-09-09 07:42 AM
    There's a new phone coming out and it will be running 3.0 but who knows what new hardware will be included in the new phone package. Probably nothing major to sway me. I have a Fuze right now and I hate it, but I can't decide, like the original poster, between a Bold and an iPhone. The potential rate cut to $20 for the iPhone plan may be the deal breaker.

I believe is not an actual "new" phone. It's just an update: 3.0. So for current 3G iphone users they can update their firmware to the new 3.0 and do all these new things. Hardware will be the same, it's just the software thats different
    05-09-09 07:44 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD