So with the Rumor of BBTV. I sit back and think, what a silly market to enter!! Why not work with Microsoft to integrate with Windows Media centre, and Xbox for streaming content? Or work with heaven forbid sony.

I am all for RIM going after new markets, and you unfortunate souls who are reading this get to read my opinions.

Medical
    RIM has BES with an industry leading wireless encryption method. This is something that needs to be exploited in the era of EMR (electronic medical records), RIM now has the Playbook, and excellent starting point for Hospital workers, combined with a quality NFC equipped handset, you now have employee access restrictions built into the devices, who can enter what rooms, and what information they can bring with them! Building a EMR back end for BES, and an advanced CMS (contact management system) all accessable from a devices on the BES with appropriate privileges, and with NFC, privileges can be tied not only to user validation but also location validation.

In addition to the hospital worker and the hospital server being RIM equipped, selling the abilities for embedded RIM devices into Medical equipment, think a MRI machine that send a PIN to the doctor when it is ready, and can pull the results up on his bridged Playbook.

Hospital beds with embedded Playbooks, the doctor bridges to the Bed to gain further details about the patient, someone without a BB would get the basics from the playbook screen, but bridging with ones BB would grant access to the information the users permission levels would grant. It would also record when people visit patients and help track patient care

---
    Point of Sale + Banking connectivity

These devices that we swipe our credit cards through, and cash/debit/bank cards though are an excellent fit for the Blackberry Model, again we have BES for wireless connectivity to the server. Keeping our banking information secure, but go beyond that! Let's work to create the ability to use our mobile devices to replace these cards. And with that enabling a digital transfer of your receipt when you make a purchase, no more paper receipts, they are all stored on your device for your record keeping

With touchscreen devices RIM could replace the hardware on the market with 5" touchscreen devices that allow you to swipe/incert/wave your method of payment. And also enter your passcode which can be beyond just numbers! Give me alpha numeric passcodes for my banking.

Use the back end CMR developed for Medical to allow BES owners to built contact lists of users, say a restaurant has a rewards program, that can be tied into the payment devices, or a hotel chain again tied together, no need to do a transaction twice.

Airplanes
    7" Playbook devices embedded into airplane's. Allow people to bridge to the device, give people access to games, weather maps, streamed content. Just like is done with current devices on planes,
    This clearly requires Bridge to be made far better, we need 2 way communication, we need access to content on the device onto the playbook, think about being able to bring your own video's to play on the plane, and not having to watch them on your smartphone. Or reading your emails, or playing a few games, this is a "business meets fun" venture, it puts a Blackberry in every seat, and the bulk of people who can afford to be flying, can afford to be owning blackberry's

THESE are markets that involve RIM expanding what they do best, and give reasons for big industries to use Blackberry's
    Consumers want devices that make their life easier, business want devices that make them more money, RIM needs to be a leader in making their devices pivotal in the lives of users, if you are used to paying your bills via the blackberry, if your PIN for your device is registered with the bank so that only your device can be used it gives you more reasons to use your blackberry,

Let the games market be fought by Nintendo, and Sony, and Microsoft,
    Partner with them to bring connectivity from their game system to your mobile communications tools,

Let the Big Electronics manufacturers fight for livingroom dominance, RIM you want to dominate the pockets of professionals!

Now this being a forum, and not just a place for me to rant, let's hear your ideas of markets RIM should be into, and pick apart my ideas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 04:54 PM
    Good stuff. I hope RIM is onto this kind of thinking.
    What I wouldn't give for a look under the "rim" under the hood, you know.
    EDIT; it seems that certain things need to be in place before we will see a lot of what we want with QNX, it cant happen fast enough, true. Once the code writing is complete RIM is open for lots of points of leverage, Keep this post about those possible points of leverage, as the OP intended.... no shortage of threads for our many grips.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 07-14-11 at 05:34 PM.
    07-14-11 05:00 PM
    While I don't disagree with any of the items you listed.. I am of the firm belief that RIM needs to create an ecosystem for their already existing and upcoming products.

The PlayBook for example has the 7Digital Music store but beyond that, touting all the great media capabilities on such an item as the PlayBook is moot without content to go along with it. With no on device content to be had, it makes it near impossible to make use of any of the same things they tout as being great.

Sure there are other means of obtaining content -- some legal, some not but the fact is it shouldn't require thought really, there should be agreements in place with content providers to meet the demand for such things.

That said, this whole set top box stuff is a little out of left field but it would be one way, if done right -- to get in the door with big media and content providers for better or worse.
    07-14-11 05:14 PM
    I'm thinking home and office security, partnering with a company like ADT for the future of home security. Next would be the future of office or warehouse security. Using NFC to gain access. It starts to tie into the future of wired, smart buildings.
    When you start to think of the future possibilities, The smart and wired world is going to be everywhere. The stakes are F'ing enormous. It becomes understandable why the competition is so fierce. This is just the begining. QNX has what it takes to dominate in many area's.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 07-15-11 at 12:12 AM.
    07-14-11 05:51 PM
    While I don't disagree with any of the items you listed.. I am of the firm belief that RIM needs to create an ecosystem for their already existing and upcoming products.

The PlayBook for example has the 7Digital Music store but beyond that, touting all the great media capabilities on such an item as the PlayBook is moot without content to go along with it. With no on device content to be had, it makes it near impossible to make use of any of the same things they tout as being great.

Sure there are other means of obtaining content -- some legal, some not but the fact is it shouldn't require thought really, there should be agreements in place with content providers to meet the demand for such things.

That said, this whole set top box stuff is a little out of left field but it would be one way, if done right -- to get in the door with big media and content providers for better or worse.
    I don't disagree about content requirements at all

BUT I think RIM needs to partner for that not build its own system.
    Integrate with Amazon, or work with a a group like Microsoft, HP, Dell and the like in Building an open content distribution network.
    RIM doesn't have the device market to build it them selves and maintain it, unless they are going to get into pure media players as well for the ipod pricepoint

07-14-11 06:41 PM
    I agree, especially with the partnering....I hope that they have this in the works.....you are spot on with the medical field, but this type of interconnectivity could be used in so many other aspects. I'd love to be able to develop platform and sell it to RIM I been plotting this since the tablets started to surface. By far the Playbook and the BlackBerry network is the best for applications I can see.
    07-14-11 08:11 PM
    Yeah I would agree with the medical field too. My fiance just got a new job as a nurse in a newer hospital that is very apple oriented. Every doctor has a iphone and a ipad. I cannot believe that rim didn't jump into this market long ago.

07-14-11 09:43 PM
    So health care is very interesting for sure, how is it that RIM can't be involved already If Doctors are sending my personal information around I sure as **** want it on the only secure platform there is.
    That takes me into the next obvious market. Military, QNX with RIM is what I would suspect the only platform ready to provide the military the security they require. It will be interesting to see how the future transpires, that Industries alone is large enough for thousands of unique applications
    07-15-11 12:05 AM
    My first smartphone-like device was an Intermec CN3, which I had to use for work.
    Mobile Computer | CN3 Handheld Computer | CN3 GPRS

It's big and heavy. The browser sucks. The battery sucks. The charger pin breaks too easily. The multimedia sucks. All of the native apps suck. I couldn't install any additional apps. It had almost no storage space. No mp3 player. But it's very durable and reliable. I dropped it a bunch of times and never had a problem with it. After I got laid off, I sold it at a pawnshop.

If RIM made a Blackberry with an infra-red inventory scanner on it than it would be way better than an Intermec.
    07-15-11 01:16 AM
    So health care is very interesting for sure, how is it that RIM can't be involved already If Doctors are sending my personal information around I sure as **** want it on the only secure platform there is.
    That takes me into the next obvious market. Military, QNX with RIM is what I would suspect the only platform ready to provide the military the security they require. It will be interesting to see how the future transpires, that Industries alone is large enough for thousands of unique applications
    Part of the reason I believe the I phone pad has taken off in Hospital environments apart from the I want syndrome is because it is very smooth and easy to clean. hence the need for a touch only Blackberry phone if you want to counter that requirement.

The other problem is discounting Media and the living room environment when people purchase request gadgets for work they are always going to think how they can use in their spare time. For example in our work place everyone wants laptops even if the desktops far more powerful better spec just so they have an extra pc at home...

Most people at least in the Uk want one phone to carry about which is why the balance application should be one of the areas they pour resources into.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-15-11 04:00 AM
    I think its clear form other threads and the speeding ticket I got last week that law enforcement has embraced the BB. The officer had that baby hanging under his chin off his bp vest... I had to ask... Bold 9780..
    QNX car is going to be huge going forward. Big leverage point considering how many cars already run it. You can see the future, seamless form the home to transport into the workplace.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 07-15-11 at 07:19 AM.
    07-15-11 07:12 AM
    This needs to happen before anything else. Sure RIM could offer all of these services, but with their current media branding, which companies would actually want them??? They need to polish and perfect QNX right now, it has the potential to demolish any other OS out there, and they need to get it to that. Once they do, and people start seeing how amazing it is, then, and only then, will it be able to succeed in other markets.
    07-15-11 09:04 AM
    Quick replay, most of these have been done by 3rd party:

Medical: On and off for years, some of the older systems are BB based. The issue is lack of a big enough screen. However once the product line allows the BB security could be a major selling feature.

Credit Card: Already available, multiple product, the issue is fees which is outside BB realm of control

Airplanes: To issues: content (obviously an issue) and the hardware itself. Airplane hardware is subject to incredible scrutiny, indeed it was a fire in the on-board entertainment system that brought down that SwissAir flight off the east coast of Canada years ago. GoGo which provides airplane internet just announced their all-in-one solution including online games and media streaming (movies and music will be on drives on the plane, not streamed in real time to the plane and then the purchaser) but it's a bring-your-own-screen-and-wifi-device solution which airlines love (easy for them) and hate (supplying charging points is a major cost in terms of complexity, weight and fuel costs)
    07-15-11 09:50 AM
    Quick replay, most of these have been done by 3rd party:

Medical: On and off for years, some of the older systems are BB based. The issue is lack of a big enough screen. However once the product line allows the BB security could be a major selling feature.
    I have seen some 3rd Party Medical stuff, and it has never been good, PLUS with the introduction of the Playbook is really opens up the screen problem, what the 3rd Party softwares fail to do is integrate with a messaging system, and security system which BES with NFC and an additional EMR/CMS module could bring.
    Having seen HOW TERRIBLE Meditech is, which is in far to many North American hospitals, there still is a great need for quality hospital software that maintains security requirements.

Credit Card: Already available, multiple product, the issue is fees which is outside BB realm of control
    I agree there are a lot of available hardware terminals for processing Credit Cards and Bank Cards, that isn't to say RIM can't enter that market, it is a Market that other mobile phone manufacturers are not entering, and it IS a market that could be greater supported through telecoms, and back end infrastructure,
    I'll admit of my ideas this is the one I have the least actual experience in dealing with

Airplanes: To issues: content (obviously an issue) and the hardware itself. Airplane hardware is subject to incredible scrutiny, indeed it was a fire in the on-board entertainment system that brought down that SwissAir flight off the east coast of Canada years ago. GoGo which provides airplane internet just announced their all-in-one solution including online games and media streaming (movies and music will be on drives on the plane, not streamed in real time to the plane and then the purchaser) but it's a bring-your-own-screen-and-wifi-device solution which airlines love (easy for them) and hate (supplying charging points is a major cost in terms of complexity, weight and fuel costs)
    [/quote]

I am unsure of the build quality vs Airline standards, though I do understand the restrictions since I make track that keeps your seats in the plane.
    I would have that on plane content would be the way to go moving forward and being able to push content to the Playbooks onboard would be ideal. the mass production of the tablets would greatly reduce costs of purchasing them for aviation. And a good sales guy could sell on the advantages of giving consumers integrated services.
    07-15-11 11:30 AM
    I agree with the first two, but I have to disagree with the 3rd. The PlayBook has a learning curve, whether or not people want to believe it. The first time someone uses it, they either have to read how to use it or have someone show them. This idea would be better suited for an ipad, which has a learning curve that is exponentially less.
    07-15-11 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD