I am about to upgrade from a simple cell phone to my first smartphone. I have landed on a Blackberry. Found a lot of info here @ crackberry, but had a few more specific questions...

1) I see comments about personalized free ringtones... I am with VZW and they seem to have blocked using personal mp3s as ringtones (forcing ppl to pay for their ringtones). Is this different for the Blackberry? Are personal ringtones unblocked for BBs?

2) How are the apps? I briefly scrolled through the list on this site, but wanted an overall feel from the community....do you use apps regularly (all I hear from my iPhone friends is that they can't live w/o their apps . . .is it the same with the BB?)

Thanks for the help ....
    03-28-10 07:04 PM
    For your ringtones, you can get them for free here. The ringtones will work fine with VZW.

For your apps, you might want to read this lecture.
    03-28-10 07:08 PM
    Yes, you can use any song/sound as your ringtone or anything else pretty much. I have about 10 apps on my phone that get used a few times a week and will only install more if its "worth it". TBH nobody needs over 100,000 apps since most of them are kinda pointless.
    03-28-10 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the responses.

Hondateg, looks like you have the model that I want to get (Tour 9630). Have you had any issues with it? I've seen comments about an OS upgrade tomorrow...are you upgrading? How often to upgrades occur? What features do you get with the upgrade?
    03-28-10 08:26 PM
    The Tours a good phone.. Theres never any specific dates for upgrades. Could be twice a year or once every two years , its unpredictable. You will not now about new features until the upgrade is installed. If lucky you might find out about one feature before the upgrade is released.
    03-28-10 08:32 PM
    Many upgrades are tweaks to a near-stable OS. In many cases. A BlackBerry is essentially a small computer that makes calls, so it is a difference from what you're used to in an 'enabled' phone. There are many ways to make it 'yours'. Tour is a very capable device, and a good way to get started.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD