Alltel cripples the GPS on my 8330. 3rd party apps seem to be able to use it only after activating Telenav (iirc) through Alltel for $10/mo.

The device I have currently has never had Telenav on it.

Google maps will not find GPS ever. A few days ago, I installed a trial of Garmin mobile for BB. It has NO trouble using the built-in GPS.

How is it that Garmin is able to use the GPS while other 3rd party apps cannot. FYI - google maps can see GPS if Garmin is open and seeing GPS ( though oddly google maps thinks it is not getting GPS - it still gives me the large blue radius and says it is waiting for GPS, HOWEVER it is giving me an actual precise location).

Any thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 08:56 AM
    I have alltel as well. Please let me know if you find a free way to use the gps and have it be accurate. Google maps only finds within a few 1000 meters and bb maps never finds the satalite.

03-27-09 10:26 AM
    The GPS on my Alltel Curve works just fine. I have never installed TeleNav.

Sometimes it takes a while (10 - 15 minutes or more), though to get the initial lock.

Google Maps has a much harder time getting and particularly keeping a satellite lock.

Be sure your OS is updated to 4.5.
    03-27-09 07:56 PM
    I have 4.5.

The question still stands.

How can Garmin lock the signal in under a minute while other programs cannot access it at all or very minimally?

Google Maps' functionality for me, as I described in my first post, does not change no matter how long it has to catch a signal.

03-27-09 09:50 PM
    Do you hook up the garmin via bluetooth?
    03-27-09 09:54 PM
    Try going into status in your options icon...type test, click on gps and run a test, it should lock on within minutes and clear up the issue if BB is your default gps setting.
    03-27-09 11:33 PM
    I just got a curve as a comparable replacement for an LG Rhythm 2 days ago. GPS worked when I got it, stopped, upgraded firmware to 131, worked, stopped. I then found a hack on HowardForums that requires QPST and some other programs to get working. It basically has you configure the gpsOne settings and depending on the provider, depends what ip, port, etc settings you choose.

Here is the link (Can't post links until 10 posts)
    Howard Forums - Thread 1490760

Here are the Alltel settings.
    PDE IP Address = 205.142.19.100
    PDE Port Number = 8888
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calculation = Mobile

I get a lock on any program I have that uses GPS. Tried with BBmaps, gmaps, gffy, trapster, poynt, etc. All get a lock in under 20 seconds, most within 10.

However, I doubt it was something I did since I read some people having problems with data on verizon. But I am having some data problems. My signal keeps going to 1x and I can't get anything data to work most of the time. bbmaps seems to load fine but browser wont load anything most of the time. I am working on it to see how to fix it. Otherwise, to the alltel store i go! ^_^

Edit: Believe I got my data working. Dialed *22899 and it said it was programming and now my data has been steady.

Also, little tutorial if you don't want to go to HowardForums. You may only need QPST since you have an alltel phone.

Open Blackberry DM, connect BB, open QPST Service Programming Program. It should auto detect your phone. If it doesnt, go to device manager (Windows) and go to Ports. If you see Rim Com5 and Rim Com6, double click the Com6 one and then the second tab at the top, click advanced, change it to an unused port between 1-4. Confirm. Should now find the phone in QPST Service Programming. MSL should be 000000. If it asks for model, choose the last option (SURF....). Click the arrow to scroll to the right until you find gpsOne. Check all boxes on the left. Fill in the details above. Click write to phone. May say an error, click ok, phone should restart and you should be done.

If anyone else wants to make a more proper & detailed guide, feel free. Otherwise I will work on one later.

EDIT2 - Posted a Guide under Blackberry Software > GPS & Mapping. Hopefully it will help some people.

A Real Fix for Broken GPS - Guide v1.0
    Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 03-29-09 at 01:03 AM.
    03-28-09 01:36 AM
    TheHeartlessHero, you are awesome. Thank you.
    03-30-09 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD