Alberta. BlackBerry should take a lesson from Duracell and Tide-duracell1.pngAlberta. BlackBerry should take a lesson from Duracell and Tide-duracell2.jpgWhile on Facebook yesterday, I saw a sponsored post from Duracell that hilighted their assistance in the Alberta flood recovery efforts. Duracell has deployed a team to hand out free batteries to those who need it and visit with first responders. Tide has set up a truck offering free laundry services and is working alongside to provide assistance.

What has BlackBerry done? Not a thing. Not even a mention of it on their social media.

BlackBerry missed a tremendous opportunity to get involved in the response. Perhaps they could spot a free Curve to anyone who needs one, including those involved in the recovery efforts. Provide some free Z10 or Q10's to agencies. Maybe even partner with a carrier or two to cover costs.

Or at the least, make a donation to a relief agency.

Come on BlackBerry. This is happening in your home country. As a leading brand in Canada, it's time to step up and be a good corporate citizen regarding this matter.
    07-16-13 11:44 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duracell1.png 
Views:	936 
Size:	577.2 KB 
ID:	183213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duracell2.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	183214While on Facebook yesterday, I saw a sponsored post from Duracell that hilighted their assistance in the Alberta flood recovery efforts. Duracell has deployed a team to hand out free batteries to those who need it and visit with first responders. Tide has set up a truck offering free laundry services and is working alongside to provide assistance.

What has BlackBerry done? Not a thing. Not even a mention of it on their social media.

BlackBerry missed a tremendous opportunity to get involved in the response. Perhaps they could spot a free Curve to anyone who needs one, including those involved in the recovery efforts. Provide some free Z10 or Q10's to agencies. Maybe even partner with a carrier or two to cover costs.

Or at the least, make a donation to a relief agency.

Come on BlackBerry. This is happening in your home country. As a leading brand in Canada, it's time to step up and be a good corporate citizen regarding this matter.
    This is really awesome, kudos to those two companies for making a massive contribution to the area. I was on 24hr notice to move if I was needed over there (which didn't happen).

I somewhat agree that BlackBerry might be able to find a way to help and get some good PR in, however with their financial road to recovery their in right now, it may not be exactly affordable.
    07-16-13 12:13 PM
    This is true! Have seen some of this type of stuff in my travels in the city! Loads of small businesses also getting their message out in Calgary with flood support / relief!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-16-13 12:14 PM
    The problem here is providing a solution to a problem people may not have. I can see the value of what Duracell is doing (batteries for flashlights, radios etc) and what Tide is doing (laundry service for people without power or unable to do so because of water in the home)

There is no indication of a need for communication services and for BlackBerry to be out providing equipment that isn't necessary would seem a bit opportunistic.

Now, if they set up mobile charging stations that I think would be awesome.
    07-16-13 12:16 PM
    BlackBerry has been involved in many generous donations in the past and present. Just because they don't participate in one particular event doesn't mean they should "take a lesson." Also, BlackBerry has never been a company that shows off their donations; they do it quietly.

I think the big thing here is that yet again, during a disaster, those who had BlackBerry were able to communicate with one-another while those who didn't have a BlackBerry couldn't.
    07-16-13 12:16 PM
    It's hard to see an obvious "in" for BB in this situation.

The Tide effort (which originated after Hurricane Katrina) is a spectacular, obvious idea; laundry is a necessity. Duracell? Batteries are a no-brainer for EVERYONE.

Hard to tell what BB could specifically provide here.
    amazinglygraceless and JR A like this.
    07-16-13 12:42 PM
    Have seen some of this type of stuff in my travels in the city! Loads of small businesses also getting their message out in Calgary with flood support / relief!
    Exactly this.
    07-16-13 09:32 PM
    Hockey Canada is there too, with boots to the ground.Alberta. BlackBerry should take a lesson from Duracell and Tide-hockey_canada.jpg
    07-18-13 09:57 PM
    It's hard to see an obvious "in" for BB in this situation.

Hard to tell what BB could specifically provide here.
    There's already been 5 suggestions mentioned. It's beyond disappointing that they sit on their hands and choose to do nothing.

I don't know how they do it in Europe, but here in North America when there's a need we help each other out. BlackBerry's CEO should keep that in mind moving forward.
    07-19-13 11:58 AM
    As good as these relief efforts are, doesn't anyone find it bit disturbing that disasters are now used as marketing and branding opportunities with big commercial billboards plastered everywhere?
    07-19-13 12:16 PM
    As good as these relief efforts are, doesn't anyone find it bit disturbing that disasters are now used as marketing and branding opportunities with big commercial billboards plastered everywhere?
    This is true but keep in mind these corporations are putting up help for free and using significant company resources in the process. Nothing wrong with getting some promotion out of it.
    jrohland likes this.
    07-19-13 12:34 PM
    Getting tired of these posts "why didn't blackberry do this/that"

I went to volunteer downtown, hell I even gave my condo up for a family of five that were homeless, and they're still there now. Not once did they ask me to borrow a phone.

The companies that need to be involved are! Tide for example, linen companies, cloth companies. Tbh the last bloody thing on my mind if my house got washed away would be my ridiculous cell.

Pipe down and stop with the blackberry hate.

You wana do something about it, start a compain, get old cells donated to you and and bring them here to calgary. Don't ask other people/companies to do it!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 01:02 PM
    Getting tired of these posts "why didn't blackberry do this/that"

I went to volunteer downtown, hell I even gave my condo up for a family of five that were homeless, and they're still there now. Not once did they ask me to borrow a phone.

The companies that need to be involved are! Tide for example, linen companies, cloth companies. Tbh the last bloody thing on my mind if my house got washed away would be my ridiculous cell.

Pipe down and stop with the blackberry hate.

You wana do something about it, start a compain, get old cells donated to you and and bring them here to calgary. Don't ask other people/companies to do it!

Posted via CB10
    That's a cop out if I've ever seen one.
    07-19-13 01:13 PM
    Great retort. Guess you win this one...

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 01:33 PM