After reading the blog post about pressing buyr, I did it on my phone. I did it and it said that it policy is enabled.
    Now how do I disable it.
    I tried following the remove IT policy thing guide, but I failed at it.

Is there a way to check if the IT policy is there or not?

Device has been wiped before and stuff.
    I installed apps on it too.

Thx
    08-28-09 01:08 PM
    If its on a BES server ask your admin.
    08-28-09 01:31 PM
    well im not on bes
    its my backup bb, that i got off ebay
    08-28-09 01:32 PM
    There is software out there to remove IT policies but I can't remember the name right now. I have it at home and it's free. When I get there I will look up the name if no one else comes up with a solution by then.

It's a pretty low level tool but it works well.
    08-28-09 01:47 PM
    Procedure
    Step 1 Ensure the Blackberry Desktop Manager is installed using Blackberry Internet Service, and not Blackberry Enterprise Server. If you are unsure, it would probably be a good idea to uninstall the Desktop Manager and start again.

Step 2 Download the file policy.bin (Included in post hopefully, rename the file to .bin) and save it in your Blackberry installation directory (C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry).

Step 3 Wipe your Blackberry, creating a backup if necessary. Select Options/Security/Wipe on the Device.

If this option is unavailable, you may have to install the latest software on your Blackberry. You need to Download and install the latest Desktop Manger Software, then the latest Handheld Software. Connect your device, open the Desktop Manager, select Application Loader, and follow the prompts.

Step 4 Close the Desktop Manager if it is open.

Step 5 From the Windows Start Menu select Run..., and at the prompt type regedit. In the tree on the left hand side, navigate to:

HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager

Right-Click the Policy Manager Folder and select New/String Value. Name the value Path. Now, Double-Click the Path Subkey and set Value Data to:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin
    Step 6 Open the Desktop Manager.
    Step 7 Connect the Device.

Verification
    Once complete, the Options/Security screen on your Blackberry should not contain references to an IT Policy, you should now be able to change all settings (including password prompts), and install Third Party Applications.

(I did not make this up, My BES admin sent this to me)
    Last edited by techi33; 08-28-09 at 01:53 PM. Reason: More info
    08-28-09 01:47 PM
    With my 8330 I had a while back, I had to use the "resettofactory" option on the JL_Cmdr Javaloader Utility. Apparently this is considerably more than a wipe and will completely get rid of everything on your phone minus the OS. This was the only thing that worked for me in trying to get the IT policy of the phone. Was that what you tried? If not, the tool can be downloaded from JL_Cmder Javaloader Utility.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the IT policy would be listed under Options>Security Options>General Settings. If it is not listed under services, then there is no IT policy on the phone. I'm not entirely sure that I am remembering this correctly though.
    Last edited by rliebert; 08-28-09 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Add link to utility.
    08-28-09 01:51 PM
    Procedure
    Step 1 Ensure the Blackberry Desktop Manager is installed using Blackberry Internet Service, and not Blackberry Enterprise Server. If you are unsure, it would probably be a good idea to uninstall the Desktop Manager and start again.

Step 2 Download the file policy.bin (Included in post hopefully, rename the file to .bin) and save it in your Blackberry installation directory (C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry).

Step 3 Wipe your Blackberry, creating a backup if necessary. Select Options/Security/Wipe on the Device.

If this option is unavailable, you may have to install the latest software on your Blackberry. You need to Download and install the latest Desktop Manger Software, then the latest Handheld Software. Connect your device, open the Desktop Manager, select Application Loader, and follow the prompts.

Step 4 Close the Desktop Manager if it is open.

Step 5 From the Windows Start Menu select Run..., and at the prompt type regedit. In the tree on the left hand side, navigate to:

HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager

Right-Click the Policy Manager Folder and select New/String Value. Name the value Path. Now, Double-Click the Path Subkey and set Value Data to:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin
    Step 6 Open the Desktop Manager.
    Step 7 Connect the Device.

Verification
    Once complete, the Options/Security screen on your Blackberry should not contain references to an IT Policy, you should now be able to change all settings (including password prompts), and install Third Party Applications.

(I did not make this up, My BES admin sent this to me)
    i already said i tried that, and failed since i dont know if it worked or not

With my 8330 I had a while back, I had to use the "resettofactory" option on the JL_Cmdr Javaloader Utility. Apparently this is considerably more than a wipe and will completely get rid of everything on your phone minus the OS. This was the only thing that worked for me in trying to get the IT policy of the phone. Was that what you tried? If not, the tool can be downloaded from JL_Cmder Javaloader Utility.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the IT policy would be listed under Options>Security Options>General Settings. If it is not listed under services, then there is no IT policy on the phone. I'm not entirely sure that I am remembering this correctly though.
    under services it says no services

and i did wipe it already jl_cmder after i recieved the phone
    08-28-09 01:58 PM
    i already said i tried that, and failed since i dont know if it worked or not

Then it WORKED!!!
    08-28-09 02:02 PM

I didn't say to wipe it using JL_Cmder, I said to use the resettofactory option. There is a difference as the wipe function is not intended to remove the IT policy.
    08-28-09 02:03 PM
    Then it WORKED!!!
    Does typing BUYR in the status screen still bring up the "IT Policy enabled"? If so, then your IT policy is still there somewhere. That shouldn't show up at all if you are successful in removing the IT Policy.
    08-28-09 02:06 PM
    Does typing BUYR in the status screen still bring up the "IT Policy enabled"? If so, then your IT policy is still there somewhere. That shouldn't show up at all if you are successful in removing the IT Policy.
    All BB's have an IT policy.
    What this procedure does is not remove or disable your IT policy but enable and replace it with one that has no restrictions, so it says enabled.
    08-28-09 02:15 PM
    All BB's have an IT policy.
    What this procedure does is not remove or disable your IT policy but enable and replace it with one that has no restrictions, so it says enabled.
    Actually, not all BBs have an IT policy. Only those that have been set up on a BES server at one time or another. My BB does not have an IT policy on it at all. Once an IT policy is installed on the BB, it does not come off even with a wipe of the BB. The only way to physically get rid of the IT policy is to use the resettodefault function on the JL_Cmder.
    08-28-09 02:19 PM
    Actually, not all BBs have an IT policy. Only those that have been set up on a BES server at one time or another. My BB does not have an IT policy on it at all. Once an IT policy is installed on the BB, it does not come off even with a wipe of the BB. The only way to physically get rid of the IT policy is to use the resettodefault function on the JL_Cmder.
    Well I seem to remember a thread that stated that all BB's have one, so if your are right they are wrong, if they are wrong you are right. No need to discuss that further it think :O)

But my point is the same it does not remove it replaces it.
    08-28-09 02:26 PM
    ok did the reset to factory thing
    got rid of the it thing i would say
    b/c now when i do buyr, it has the data usage and voice stuff
    08-28-09 02:51 PM
    ok did the reset to factory thing
    got rid of the it thing i would say
    b/c now when i do buyr, it has the data usage and voice stuff
    Then I would say that you are all set and rid of your IT policy for good.
    08-28-09 02:52 PM
    Then I would say that you are all set and rid of your IT policy for good.
    ahh ok thx
    08-28-09 02:56 PM
    A battery pull removed the text from the status screen.
    08-28-09 03:03 PM
    what??????????
    08-28-09 03:06 PM
    ahh ok thx
    You're welcome.
    08-28-09 03:11 PM
    Actually, any time that you exit out of the options screen, the information on the status screen goes away. You just have to enter in BUYR again.
    08-28-09 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD