I only just recently discovered that.
    Would we be better of with native apps which we have full control of?

Yes, but it is very difficult to get app developers to fully commit to a new platform right away, so this is why RIM/BlackBerry included the Android functionality in BB10, to "jumpstart" app development.

Some BlackBerry users make it clear that they will not buy a BB10 app unless it is a native (ie not Android converted/ported) app. You see this a lot in BlackBerry World reviews.

I personally won't refuse to install an Android port or sideload, but I am very careful about what I install and run and always prefer a native app whenever possible.
    12-30-13 07:45 PM
    Honestly I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you are trying to say there.
    Ok. You are clearly aware that the aggregation of personal information results in it becoming a useful commodity for those who would utilise it.
    For instance, if an iPhone would detect and forward along the specifics of one's booze-swilling, sedentary, womanising and/or Base-Jumping lifestyle ..interspersed with the odd pack of Camel Plain, could it not then foreseeably impact upon your Health Insurance Premiums, Vehicle Insurance costs and even your eligibility to partake in an IVF programme?
    http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/10...vity-trackers/
    Be it for better or worse, I think that this is where we are headed.
    The fact that I pay less car insurance than the guy across the road as we have different zip codes is an example of statistical data being applied by my Insurer.
    I am glad you got the gist of what I'd tried to convey, as I value your input.

I don't think there has ever been much question that Android's rigid permissions model is non-ideal, and Blackberry's is better. This has always been the case.

And running Android apps on BB10 is also a potential security risk, especially if they are not ported through and approved by BlackBerry World. It is a tradeoff.

CB10 on Z10
    12-30-13 08:47 PM
    Yes, but it is very difficult to get app developers to fully commit to a new platform right away, so this is why RIM/BlackBerry included the Android functionality in BB10, to "jumpstart" app development.

Some BlackBerry users make it clear that they will not buy a BB10 app unless it is a native (ie not Android converted/ported) app. You see this a lot in BlackBerry World reviews.

I personally won't refuse to install an Android port or sideload, but I am very careful about what I install and run and always prefer a native app whenever possible.
    I'd quoted you without seeing this post, for if it seems out of place, it is.
    I understand what you're saying and hopefully with time we will get a broader choice of native apps.

CB10 on Z10
    12-30-13 08:53 PM
    Ok. You are clearly aware that the aggregation of personal information results in it becoming a useful commodity for those who would utilise it.
    For instance, if an iPhone would detect and forward along the specifics of one's booze-swilling, sedentary, womanising and/or Base-Jumping lifestyle ..interspersed with the odd pack of Camel Plain, could it not then foreseeably impact upon your Health Insurance Premiums, Vehicle Insurance costs and even your eligibility to partake in an IVF programme?
    The Latest Smartphones Could Turn Us All Into Activity Trackers | Wired Opinion | Wired.com
    Be it for better or worse, I think that this is where we are headed.
    The fact that I pay less car insurance than the guy across the road as we have different zip codes is an example of statistical data being applied by my Insurer.
    I am glad you got the gist of what I'd tried to convey, as I value your input.

Yes, it is a favorite subject of mine.

Also, why I will never own an Android smartphone, unless it is heavily customized to remove the default Google spyware.

What helps us with Android apps on BB10 is that at the present time the only *official* way to install them is via BlackBerry World, and we then benefit from functionality and security testing that BBW does on each app before approving it for download.

Later builds of OS 10.2.1.xxxx and above now have the ability to install Android apps in a more direct way, which is not only a convenience but also a liability, from a security standpoint.

This is why, on my "experimental" Z10 running 10.2.1, I have installed various Android apps but:

• Use the Snap app to install which sources all apps from the official Google Play Store
    • Am very careful that the apps I install have a known good reputation, either via my personal testing on my own Android device, or via public reputation
    • I run an antivirus utility continuously on the Android VM of that device, to cut down further on the possibility that malware slips through the above
    • Try to keep Android apps current (using Snap), to minimize the possibility of running apps with unpatched security vulnerabilities
    12-30-13 10:30 PM
    I installed a Camera app from BlackBerry World which was essentially an editing app which also utilised the camera.
    When not using this app I turned off it's permissions which were File and Camera.
    With those turned off, I could still browse files and take pictures with it. Also, it could launch the browser and pushed Ads.
    I honestly don't recall it's name just at this moment, but needless to say, I was uneasy with it sitting on my device.
    Edit: It's Uber Iris.

CB10 on Z10
    Last edited by bennelong; 12-31-13 at 02:25 AM.
    12-31-13 12:50 AM
180 ... 678